Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Have we had the AV debate yet?
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Just wondering what folks’ views are. It seems to be a non-partisan political issue. Any offers?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

debate done, everyones voting YesToAv.

sucklingmatt
    Free Member

bit nieve here so please accept my stupidity, but i’m blaming it that I live in a diffrent country….but what is all this about? Will it make such a HUGE change to everyone’s lives? Should i move back to the mother land because of it?

GrahamS

It’s a tricky one: voting Yes to AV would stick it to Cameron and the Tories, but would be interpreted as support for that treacherous bellend Clegg…

Ironically what we need is a third alternative … 🙂

Drac

Avast.

lunge

MSE.

binners

GrahamS is on the money. What it comes down to is the following question

Who do I hate most

a) Call-me-Dave
    b) I-Agree-with-Nick

I know were’ meant to be having a proper growed-up debate and all that, but its all going to boil down to who you want to stick your tongue out to the most

roper
    Free Member

Audio Visual technicians debate, “is it too early for alcohol?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Voting Yes, not because I particularly want AV, but it could be a step on the way to proportional representation (PR) whereas a no vote would kill the debate for the foreseeable future.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Am I the only-one who feels slightly bad that they don’t really give a toss?

D0NK

its all going to boil down to who you want to stick your tongue out to the most

voting in a nutshell

Peyote
    Free Member

Voting Yes, not because I particularly want AV, but it could be a step on the way to proportional representation (PR) whereas a no vote would kill the debate for the foreseeable future.

Same here. I am a bit confused though, because as a ex-Lib Dem I’d rather give Nick a slap, than Dave. At least Dave has the decency to fulfil the Tory stereotype, Clegg is just a traiterous little wretch (IMO of course!)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

JEngledow. I wasn’t feeling bad… should I?

Junkyard
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

its all going to boil down to who you want to stick your tongue out to the most
    voting in a nutshell
    and av lets you vote for everyone but the one/s you really hate so the winner can claim you really support them despite them being your fourth choice

I wasn’t feeling bad… should I?

no because you are shallow now let the clever people talk [ not about you]

JEngledow
    Free Member

JEngledow. I wasn’t feeling bad… should I?

I don’t know, which is why I feel a bit bad 😯

Edit: I think feeling bad / guilt is my default setting!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Well, it’s certainly going to change the way you vote if you want to vote tactically.

What amuses me is people who say ‘this would have been the result of the last election if we had AV then’. Well that’s horse doodah. How can anybody suppose to know what peoples 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc votes would have been?

LapSteel
    Free Member

I’m voting No

AV sounds like a right load a crap and the main reason the labour party now has Ed Millibrain as leader

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do we know if it will be unweighted or Borda? if Borda, what distribution?

GrahamS

How can anybody suppose to know what peoples 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc votes would have been?

Exit polls.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Whatever the outcome, you lot will still have something to moan about.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How can anybody suppose to know what peoples 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc votes would have been?

Exit polls.

No it wouldn’t

grum
    Free Member

This.

Also, the No campaign has been beyond pathetic. Their claim that everyone’s votes count equally at the moment is clearly completely untrue also. If you live in a safe constituency at the moment then your vote is almost worthless.

mintimperial
    TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Junky – you’re mean. I have a well thought out and intelligent argument for what I would vote for.

stanley

Surely it is a foot in the door, ie. we need a proper system (maybe PR.?), but there is no way that the big parties will allow that at the moment. So, we get AV in place, then in the future we move towards PR?

ahwiles
    Free Member

the BNP don’t like AV – and no wonder.

their best hope of getting an MP or 2 is by taking advantage of a split vote – winning without a majority*.

AV should ensure that every election returns a ‘winner’ with at least 50% of the vote.

surely this has to reduce the number of places where the BNP could win.

i’m voting yes.

GrahamS

No it wouldn’t

Yes it would?

That’s certainly what the nice man from political science research thingy on Radio 4 said when they were talking about it. He reckoned they had been asking about 2nd/3rd choices in exit polls and voter surveys for 20 years so they could give good estimations of the results under AV of the previous elections – they were mainly the same.

toys19
    Free Member

1) I don’t get why there is such opposition to Nick Clegg from presumably lib dem voters (or maybe ex lib dem). He has doent he best for your party ever, did you expect the govt to be a lib dem govt? They just added the grease to the lock to let Cameron in and have got a few concession for it. Lib dem policies are further forward now because of Clegg than anyone else in the history of the party.

2) AV is defo better than the current system, but not by much. The problem is that they eliminate the last candidate and use their 2nd choices, which will often not make much difference.. I think.

D0NK

that is brilliant mintimperial

the-muffin-man

I cant see how AV will help to change anything.

If a voter always votes Labour there’s no way they’d put tory at 2nd 3rd or 4th. So that voter will just end up ticking no other boxes, or ticking minor parties, like the Loonies or Greens or ANOther.

Likewise a tory voter isn’t likely to put labour down anywhere on their voting slip.

IMO the only party this helps is the Lib Dems as they may get the odd new MP in a marginal seat.

Seems like a lot of faff for very little change.

GrahamS

If a voter always votes Labour there’s no way they’d put tory at 2nd 3rd or 4th.

They might if they are worried that someone like the BNP would get in.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m taking the highlander approach and saying No!

Lifer
    Free Member

It means that smaller parties will get the recognition in the results. Even if they don’t win and have their votes redistributed it shows that people support their policies.

Voting No just seems bloody minded to me, look how well FPTP worked in the last election!

GrahamS

I’m taking the highlander approach

Distrust of outsiders and an unnatural interest in livestock?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Only 3 political parties are totally against it, the Tories, The BNP and the Commies (unsure which particular strand of commiedom).

So I guess I’m for it.

I’m voting No

AV sounds like a right load a crap and the main reason the labour party now has Ed Millibrain as leader

Cameron was elected via AV too. Oh I see what you mean.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

look how well FPTP worked in the last election!

Robbed the Tories of the ability to form a government (how the **** did they not win ?) and forced Nick Clegg and the LibDems to finally show their true colours ?

……works for me.

GrahamS

forced Nick Clegg and the LibDems to finally show their true colours ?

Could we not have used some kind of enchanted mirror or possibly just looked at them in the light of a full moon?

john_drummer
    Free Member

AV should ensure that every election returns a ‘winner’ with at least 50% of the vote.

even if that “winner” is second third or even fourth choice for more people than the candidate who would have got most votes in a FPTP system?
    Doesn’t make sense to me. I will probably vote “no” unless I hear a convincing argument that 51% of the voters’ third choice is better than 49% of the voters’ first choice

GrahamS

Doesn’t make sense to me. I will probably vote “no” unless I hear a convincing argument that 51% of the voters’ third choice is better than 49% of the voters’ first choice

Picture a constituency where the vote is equally split between LibDem, Tory, Labour and Independent candidates.
    Racial tensions in the area mean the BNP decide to field a candidate and he wins with just 21% of the vote – despite 79% who definitely don’t want BNP and voted for their usual party.

Under AV the second choice of that 79% would probably prevent the BNP from getting in.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Racial tensions in the area mean the BNP decide to field a candidate and he wins with just 21% of the vote – despite 79% who definitely don’t want BNP and voted for their usual party.

Firstly that isn’t going to happen – UK constituencies are simply too big for the concentrated votes of the BNP to secure a parliamentary seat.

Secondly, placing electoral obstacles is not the way to deal with the threat of fascism. Fascism and racism can very effectively be defeated through political means.

Fascism and racism relies on fear and ignorance to win support. It is remarkably easy to challenge ignorance with the truth, and fear with facts.

The overwhelming majority of the electorate actually consists of very nice people who, despite possible personal prejudices towards what they don’t understand/fear, are very far from being “racist”.

A surprising number of BNP voters are actually unaware of the true racist character of the BNP, and it only requires for the BNP’s thin veneer of respectability to be shattered, for them to reject the BNP.

A case in point : New Addington is the most deprived council estate in Croydon with very high levels of unemployment, it is sometimes referred to as “the white ghetto”. It should be fertile ground for fascism/the BNP, especially during a period of economic hardship and with easy available scapegoats, and indeed it has long been target by them.

Unfortunately for the BNP anti-racists have always been very active in Croydon. And at election time the work put in by the anti-fascists from a range of political parties all united under the auspices of the local trades union council, far exceeds the input the BNP is able to muster.

As a consequence the BNP never manages to make a breakthrough and does remarkably badly. That is the surest way to beat fascism and racism…….a political campaign which exposes the false premises of fascism and racism. No ethic group is responsible for the mess that Britain, in common with other capitalist countries, today finds itself in.

The most important weapon to fight the BNP however, and the one most ignored, is to take the genuine grievances of ordinary people, which the BNP exploits so effectively, seriously. And on that score, New Labour has a lot to answer for – the BNP does well in Labour strongholds, never in Tory/LibDen strongholds.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Have we had the AV debate yet?’ is closed to new replies.