Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Has anyone downsized/downgraded their job?
  • binners

I'm toying with the idea of a change of direction

I've been running my own business for the last 4-5 years. The last year has been tough. As I'm sure it has for most people

We've had a nightmare. Clients going bust owing us stacks of cash, on a few occasions, have had a devastating effect on our bottom line. And I'm thinking that for the money I'm (not) making, It just ins't worth the constant stress, shear hard work and the hassle from the tax man etc

I'm thinking of getting a job where I can leave my brain at the door, I have no responsibility (or considerably less). And if it pays less… well…. I see it as a reasonable trade off at the moment. Something enjoyable would be a bonus, but I'm sure as hell getting no enjoyment out of this any more.

So… has anyone done this? Anyone considering it?

Your experiences please

joemarshall
    Free Member

I went from a job in London doing difficult stuff, to a job in Nottingham doing boring stuff. Was a complete nightmare. Now I'm in Academia, doing difficult stuff again.

Although having said that, getting paid lots of money and working strictly 9-5 is a very good thing for bike fitness.

Joe

Stoner
    Free Member

I was doing difficult stuff well, and getting paid OK for it, but was feeling unrewarded

So went freelance and did even more difficult stuff even better and was getting paid extremely well for it

So did less of it because I didnt need to earn that much and value time more greatly

So have found other things to get stuck into in my spare time which means Im going to do even less of what Im paid to do so that Ive got more time to do some other stuff I dont really get "paid" for and then next year sometime…

Im going to completely stop doing what I get paid a lot to do because Im getting bored of it and there's nowhere really to go intellectually and train up as something else for a while and earn a lot less and get a lot less freetime, but spend a year or two learning new stuff for a laugh.

Or get the fears and stay doing what im doing to keep the cash coming in…who knows? 🙂

legend76
    Free Member

i think if you down grade you'll feel you've sold yourself short, why not look for a challenge instead, but not a self employed one 😉
    just a change of direction instead.
    you'll soon get bored when you.ve nothing to stretch your mind

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was a manager in nursing homes for a few years – stressed out and unhappy. I quit 5 yrs ago and have only worked part time freelance since then. Lost £10 000 pa at least from my income and ruined my pension.

Ride my bike lots tho and am much happier now.

There is no point in living to work – work to live instead

MrNutt
    Free Member

went from being paid a fortune to being paid a fair but less but at the end of the day you'll have to work your arse off in any job, **** it, shave your head, climb a tower and shoot strangers.

thefettler
    Free Member

Done it regularly over the last 20yrs,
    Get frustrated in some jobs ,so i bail & do something different.
    Money is not motivating factor for me,riding my bike is
    learning a new skill is good fun!
    But i have the advantage of being ,single never married ,no kids

Coyote
    Free Member

I had my job downsized when the bastards company I worked for made me redundant. Be careful what you wish for, sure your job may be stressful but worrying about providing for your family is a hell of a lot worse.

At the moment I feel like taking Mr. Nutt's advice…

br
    Free Member

great idea…

Where exactly is this 'job' going to come from?

timber

it is good to have no responsibility and to leave on the dot, very easy going, however, inevitably got bored and frustrated at inefficiencies as reckoned I could do better, so went back to more stressful seasonal job that I had which pays just enough to take the rest of the year off if I wanted and did that instead

sam_underhill

I was in long term constant renewal contract until the new strategy was announced in march. and that strategy was…… no contractors.

As the market was screwed (outside london anyway), I decided to spend the last 6 months doing up our house (thanks to all those on here who answered my dumb questions) instead of paying the builders to do it . Of course they still did some, but I did all the destruction, all new electrics, most of the new plumbing, plasterboarding, floors, bathroom etc etc. I loved it! obviously didn't earn a penny but saved loads from the original estimates. I loved it, wearing knackered old clothes covered in muck, gripfill, paint etc, reading the sunday sport pulled out of the skip, not having to worry about burping, farting or swearing – awesome. and on a nice day, I downed tools and went out on my bike!

I'm upgrading again next week though…. I've run out of money!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone downsized/downgraded their job?’ is closed to new replies.