Viewing 37 posts - 121 through 157 (of 157 total)
  • Hans Rey- am i missing something?
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

shortcut

“anyone remember Tread with Greg Herbold”

was that:

“hey HB dude, I heard you got some bikes up on that mountain dude!

?

DaRC_L

Glad to see MarginWalker has quieted down – I mean really FFS don’t mess with the Rey.

Must admit I always liked Tom Ritchey’s style too… (I didn’t see him included in the list above)

Woody
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Brycey
    Free Member

“Before the downhillers decided image was more important than performance. The fact that DHers don’t wear skin suits about sums up what is wrong with the “sport”.”

Change the record…

RepackRider
    Free Member

now
    2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Repack Rider I saw a documentary on the area not so long ago and the ‘old’ riders came back out on their bikes for the camera to relive and ride it again. Although it was before my time I really really liked it

Not too much OT, but here is vid of the Real Thing back when I was considerably younger and before your parents were married.

You could say the same about modern DH skills vs what we had then as some say about Hans now, but remember what machinery we had and the fact that there was no one to teach us skills we were inventing for ourselves.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVWP6VaLtvw[/video]

Mike_D
    Free Member

Dave Hemming’s Yo Eddy last spotted here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121891&highlight=dave+hemming

Been around a bit, was in Mexico for a while…

deviant
    Free Member

Who was the last top performing downhiller on a hardtail?….when did the last of the hardtails stop being competitive downhill?

Serious question….i missed out on that era of the sport.

clubber
    Free Member

Competitive – mid 90s I reckon. That said, the full sussers in use then were 3″ travel so it wasn’t the advantage it could have been.

Pigface
    Free Member

Jon Tomacs son Eli is a pro motoxer and came second in the Lites west coast class.

What about Tinker Juarez? if we are reminising about back in the day.

iDave
    Free Member

I rode for Kona UK when Steve Peat joined the team in about 1992/3 – he not only rode a hardtail, but fully rigid and won downhills. It was then that I realised (finally) that I was a bit shit.

hora
    Free Member

iDave – Dave Turner?

Mike_D
    Free Member

iDave – Dave Turner?

Your grasp of MTB history really is lacking, isn’t it? 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

Hans Rey is like Moses.

Exactlly what he did and didn’t do is hard to say, but everyone has heard of him, and are in some way influenced by what he did.

up until clicking on this thread i had never ever heard of him 😳

seems like he’s influenced a lot of you lot and had fun in the process… good on him!

hora
    Free Member

Ah, right. Catching up abit here- Dave Turner is Turner bikes? **** hell I just ride bikes you know 😆

mmannerr

What about Tinker Juarez? if we are reminising about back in the day.

He is still racing on 24hr events and stage races, quite a feat now that he is 50 years old: http://tinkerjuarez.blogspot.com/

Tinker is last of the old school racers still out there.

mrmo
    Free Member

Ned Overend

hora
    Free Member
    xiphon
    Free Member

Where do you think most people get their skills from these days?

Experience, trial and error teaches you how to go faster around a loose corner…. not from someone teaching you…

(unless you’re an overweight middle-aged IT manager riding a Five… 😉 )

hora
    Free Member

unless you’re an overweight middle-aged IT manager riding a Five..

in the Jedi’s field of dreams 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

Correction: Ned “THE SHRED” Overend.

🙂

AlexSimon

xiphon – I think you’re underestimating the power of seeing someone else do something.
    Gaining the belief that something is possible is a huge part of progressing in any sport.

Not only that but seeing someone do something, also gives you the desire and motivation to try it yourself.

A good example is backflips in motorsport – the first one in competition opened the floodgates. People just didn’t dare try it until they saw it done and realised it was possible and looked ace.

hora
    Free Member

Right I’m going to have to say it..

Hans Rey? No way! 😀

sharki
    Free Member

The very reason i come back time and time again to STW are threads like these.(i come here now less and less)

A mature approach to sharing ones opinion, open minded appreciation for other riders abilities no matter who, what how they ride.

This thread advertises the STW forum as a place to come for friendship, advice and to meet and greet penile munching under achievers, willy waving their weak minded thoughts for all to see and point fun at.

Hi my names Twonk and i have …… to say about trifle!

Get a grip.

seven
    Free Member

Well said sharki.

But I must admit to really enjoying this thread for exactly those reasons 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

xiphon – Member

Experience, trial and error teaches you how to go faster around a loose corner…. not from someone teaching you…

AlexSimon – Member
    xiphon – I think you’re underestimating the power of seeing someone else do something.
    Gaining the belief that something is possible is a huge part of progressing in any sport.

Yep seeing some also watching someone to see how it’s done, you only have to look at BMX to see how it’s progressed to see this especially since regular videos like props and then more recently youtube came out.

Hans Rey was a world class rider but what has given him his longevity is is ability to get exposure, and he has a good time with it and dose good things for people. Where is the problem?!

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Can I just point out that contrary to margarine walker’s understanding I was being sarcastic when I said Hans no way Rey was cr*p in the video!!!

Maybe it’s a case of needing to be around at the time to fully appreciate what HR, Jason McR, etc etc mean to old gits like me….

manitou
    Free Member

Im not really into this kind of riding.. but I suspect he has a tad more skills than all the pot bellied shin pad wearing no marks on here.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

am i missing something?

Erm, where do we even begin with this one? 😯

I’d say so Hora; I’d say so….

hora
    Free Member

Here here sharki. Elfin come on fella change the record.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Record? Bit out of date aren’t you Hora?

It’s all MP3s and stuff now.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BrSVOOK610&feature=related[/video]

HansRey

oldgrump08 – i don’t think you need to be from that era to appreciate it. I’m only 22… His attitude to biking, it reminds me of the naive young i buck i used to be, when so long as it had 2 wheels it was ready to do tricks and be shigged about the streets of Hull. 😀

If i had to only appreciate from ‘my era’, i’d be at the pub singing to spice girls and westlife and all that. o_O

phil56

kin ell 56yrs old!

Fancy that, riding a bike at 56!! Now steady on there with the amazement young fella!

hora
    Free Member

I’m talking about how good he looks.

hilldodger
    Free Member

This thread advertises the STW forum as a place to come for friendship, advice and to meet and greet penile munching under achievers, willy waving their weak minded thoughts for all to see and point fun at.

………don’t forget the middle class whiny c888bagging

epicyclo

There is obviously some incredible untapped talent here if you’re able to say Hans Rey is crap. Or maybe there’s just some MAMILs who has have had too many romantic encounters with themselves.

Rey was a man of his times and still has plenty to offer to the sport.

Comparing him to Danny MacAskill is a bit like saying Giacamo Agostini is crap because he can’t ride as fast as Rossi or Stoner these days. Or Stirling Moss is crap because he isn’t as fast as whoever is the car roundy roundy champion these days.

chestrockwell

xiphon – Member

Repack Rider » and the fact that there was no one to teach us skills we were inventing for ourselves.

Experience, trial and error teaches you how to go faster around a loose corner…. not from someone

I almost guarantee Chris Akrig watched and learned from Hans Ray. We are the same age, come from the same town, worked in the same shop (although not long for me) and read the same MBUK’s with Hans on the cover. While I was chasing girls he was jumping bins in the High Street carpark after reading said mag.

mr_stru

I did a mini skills course he gave at one of the Malvern Classics and he seemed very nice, patient and encouraging so he gets my vote.

I look forward to the thread about the Muddy Fox Courier that should be along soon 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 121 through 157 (of 157 total)

The topic ‘Hans Rey- am i missing something?’ is closed to new replies.