Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Guy airlifted from cyb today
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Hi gang.Anyone know if the guy airlifted from the top of falseteeth this afternoon is ok.

Sionwms
    Free Member

Checkput the Coed y Brenin Facebook group there’s done details on there about the accident…. Sounds nasty

hugor
    Free Member

Checkput the Coed y Brenin Facebook group there’s done details on there about the accident…. Sounds nasty

got a link?

atlaz
    Free Member

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coed-y-Brenin/136123803074740

Compund fracture of the clavical, suspected broken ribs, a minor contusion to the head, broken helmet and a hurt pride!

jedi

healing vibes to the guy steve

robhughes
    Free Member

Yer thought it was bad.watched it from just up the way.
    Big jump halfway down falseteeth me thinks.
    More healing vibes sent…..

highclimber
    Free Member

i’m sure everybody really wants to know how the bike faired?

Rorschach
    Free Member

And thats why its getting changed………(its hardly a jump-more a blind lip into a huge bomb hole!!!)

robhughes
    Free Member

Yer jumps out on you that one but it,s great fun to do.
    I know what you mean though.It is a bit dare i say it dangerous 😉
    Have you had a bad experience there Rorschach …..???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

changed, please no my favourite bit, it’s got plenty of warning signs

Trimix
    Free Member

My mate Jay did the same thing two weekends ago, but we made him walk to the road, then we rang for an ambulance.

They didnt offer any airlift – whats the magic password for that then ?

wwaswas

whats the magic password for that then

I can’t move my legs.

glenh
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    changed, please no my favourite bit, it’s got plenty of warning signs

Assuming this is ‘the cavity’, I don’t think the warning signs are much good when you are going fast (or they certainly weren’t last year when my mate took an over the bars dive into it!). I certainly didn’t see any signs – I was busy looking at the trail.

sambob
    Free Member

That drop has claimed a fair few people. Last summer we were there and one of our group landed on his head at the other side of the big drop and couldn’t remember who his kids were, whether he’d driven there or not or what day it was, pretty scary tbh.

FieldMarshall

Rode that section of trail on Sun morning and narrowly escaped a big off myself.

It’s a fast section of trail and in my opinion the “skull and crossbones” sign is situated far too close to the feature to be of use in slowing people down or getting them to stop.

By the time you see the sign its too late, as you are almost certainly committed to the drop. If you brake hard at that point you will probably be even worse off if you end up going off it at slow speed.

I personally cant see the point of that “feature” on that section of trail, as it doesnt seem in keeping with the rest of the section.

The other thing that we found badly thought out was the sign at the top that says “Black is this for you”. Seems reasonable to warn people that the trail is graded black, but if you decide that it is not for you, then it does not give you any guidance on how to avoid that section and find another way back to the centre. A trail map at that point would be useful.

Paceman
    Free Member

That drop-off needs altering I agree, seen people off there every time i’ve been to C-Y-B.

robhughes
    Free Member

Red bull…it gives you wings for just such a feature. 😉

gee
    Free Member

Anyone got a picture of the offending trail feature?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I cant remember any drop anywhere [maybe I crashed and wiped my short-term]. Where is false-teeth on the trails? (which trail?)

Seems like an appropriate name though.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Hope the injured party recovers well!!!

At the risk of being inflammatory…
    …that ‘drop off’ is neither a compulsory air nor inherently dangerous. It is on a Black section and blind, which is obvious when approaching. Therefore the ride should beware.

It doesn’t need sanitising.

Cheers.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cant remember anything majorly worrying when i did the full beast route last year? there were some sections that were pretty big jumps if thats your thing, but im sure i remember simply rolling over it at speed without the need to turn it in a huge attempted jump?? anyways i didnt come off and cant remember anything major….if hes trying to clear a huge jump then i guess that could be why?

its a great route i think, i cant remember coming away thinking much needed changing, but clearly enough folk on here do

nickegg
    Free Member

Don’t see the problem with that drop myself. Rode it with caution the first time…as you should when riding a trail for the first time.

Hit it at the correct speed and it’s fine. It’s clearly a blind drop so if you crash surely you were going too fast for your skill level?

Trimix
    Free Member

Nickegg +1

Ride with your eyes open and within your ability. Dont sanitise it, ride slower or choose a slightly eaiser route. They are graded.

Its not hard to ride at a speed that suits your ability.

SBrock
    Free Member

4 of us last week all negotiated False Teeth at speed – it’s unfortunate the guy has hurt himself and I hope he recovers well. Sorry but I guess he will learn from this, maybe he was attacking it in the wrong way……..I have seen this all too common at trail centres – people punching above there weight….I am guilty myself but have learnt from my mistakes!

FieldMarshall

Given that it’s on a black graded section, why have warning signs at all? Doesn’t that in itself indicate that it is “out of place” or perhaps is poorly designed.

I personally have a dislike for such signs and find that they are more of a distraction than a help.

Having said that I think FalseTeeth is an excellent piece of trail and would hate to see it “dummed” down.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Best wishes to the injured rider.

From the CyB Facebook page linked to above: “That’s what you get for trying to keep up with your son’s down a black grade trail, when you’ve not been on a bike for five yrs!”

Sound like a case of ego/enthusiasm > skill, as others have alluded to above. Trail Centres shouldn’t have to sanitise their Black routes to accommodate riders who would be better advised sticking to the Red.

crazy-legs

Given that it’s on a black graded section, why have warning signs at all? Doesn’t that in itself indicate that it is “out of place” or perhaps is poorly designed.
    I personally have a dislike for such signs and find that they are more of a distraction than a help.

I agree. I came off at Laggan a while ago on the last bit of Black cos I so distracted by the sign at the side of the trail that told me I was about to ride The Pointy Rocks of Certain Death (accompanied by suitably gory skull & crossbones, icons of air ambulances and mementos to those who’d already died on that spot) that I kind of forgot to look where the bike was going… 😳

glenh
    Free Member

It is on a Black section and blind, which is obvious when approaching.

Aren’t those two contradictory statements?

I think the blind aspect is why it’s the source of so many accidents. Yes it’s pretty easy to ride if you roll it slowly and/or know it’s coming, but it’s not obvious when approaching that you need to slow down unless you know what you are doing. The trail up until that point is pretty fast.

JohnnyPanic

First time I did False Teeth, a couple of years ago, I saw the warning sign on that ‘drop’ at the last second, and that distraction took my eye of the trail and made it a bit more ‘exciting’ than it would otherwise have been. It needs moving further up the trail imo. Or removing.

Bloody excellent bit of trail though.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Trail centres are usually built in such a way that you don’t have to make too many judgement calls and can blithley ‘huch carcass’ all day…..I believe some people refer to it as ‘flow’ 😉 . More experienced riders are a little more canny about throwing themselves off a blind lip but newbies are more inclined to be lulled into thinking everything is ‘designed to be safe’.I can usually spot the accident hotspots at trails pretty easily 8) .
    I presume someone has looked at the accident logs/trail reports and there’s been a number of incidents at this location.It would be a breach of their duty of care to leave a known ‘hazard’ and affect their liability.The same happened to the infamous drop and wooden section at llandegla.

Trail Centres shouldn’t have to sanitise their Black routes to accommodate riders who would be better advised sticking to the Red.

😆 That is exactly who they are aimed at!Its a numbers game at the end of the day,more users means more money.They cannot afford to be exclusive to any user group.

ampthill

I learnt my lesson on riding like you know whats coiming up a few weeks back.

I think CYB is exactly the sort of place thats sucks you into riding like its an A road when of copurse its not. I was certainly nervous following my kids on the reds at CYB for that reason

Ironically the harder 7 stains trails felt much safer as it was onboius even to an 11 year old you couldn’t make assumptions that the next bit of trail would be OK to blindly fling yourself down.

Any way I hope the guy make a full recobery and rides again

I’ve not ridden that bit of trail but in some ways no warning signes seems safest

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Hope he gets well soon + learns from the experience.
    Great bit of trail, no need to sanitize it.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    That is exactly who they are aimed at!Its a numbers game at the end of the day,more users means more money.They cannot afford to be exclusive to any user group.

Not sure I follow? CyB has both Red and Black routes, so they’re already catering for all and therefore not limiting their numbers. What they are doing is relying on the innate common sense…oh, wait a sec… 😉

I take your point about corporations having to be seen to ‘do the right thing’ in order to limit their liability. Shame it has to come to that though.

jedi

its about numbers. more riders ride lesser grade trails than blacks therefore…………..

Rorschach
    Free Member

I meant red grade standard riders….who think they should be riding blacks….that’s who trail centres are aimed at :mrgreen:

wheelist
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware the fella didn’t crash in the bombhole, but one of the prior jumps.

The False Teeth section is pretty well marked at the start – clearly identified as black and with warnings about technical trail features.

W.r.t. the ‘bombhole’ perhaps that sign on the lip could be moved back a few feet so you have time to register it and get your eyes back on the trail.

If you’re going too fast to even notice it then you should be looking where you’re going and will spot the ground disappearing before you. (I often slow down when this happens 🙄 )

Some people love False Teeth a lot, and it loves some people too much. Which way round pretty much depends on your actual skill level, your perceived skill level, how well you know the trail, and how awake you are on the day!

The new blue-graded trail fills a much needed gap at CyB I reckon. Something for thrilling for the inexperienced dads and kids, and a fun start to the trails for the unconvinced newbies (note: I’m not saying girlfriends 😉 )

Paceman
    Free Member

Anyone got a photo of the aforementioned ‘feature’?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Anyone got a photo of the aforementioned ‘feature’?

If it’s the bit I’m thinking of it’s just a small step (less than a foot) into a steep slope, like 1:1, dropping 10′ – 20′.

If it was dirt it would be nothing much, even if you face planted. It is armoured with rock though so face planting it isn’t a pleasant thought. This seems to be c-y-b these days. Moderate stuff made exciting by the prospect of being smashed to bits in the smallest of offs!

Paceman
    Free Member

I think I know where you mean, and you’re right, without the rock surface that feature in your local woods would be very straightforward.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

taken from the bottom … on a phone … after skidding on my side most of the way down

[/url]
    coed by mighty.marmite, on Flickr[/img]

It certainly looks steeper from the top (assuming this is the right spot)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Guy airlifted from cyb today’ is closed to new replies.