Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • GT bmx – worth a punt?
  • bubs

Someone I know wants to sell a slightly rusted bmx they found in their garage but can’t provide me with any great detail.
    All I know at the moment is chrome looking forks, bent looking top tube and solid (disc like) chainring.
    Are old GTs any good? I would quite like to restore it for my son if it is not a minger.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chrome? Could be a mid-school dog, sadly.

All the best GTs were colourful!

cjr61

Sounds probably like a late 90’s performer. Good solid bikes and have a nice following. Sold mine recently. Weigh as much as the titanic but solid. Chrome might be the issue so perhaps a paint or powder coat job?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cjr61

Mine was the pro so had the fancy bits but same frame as standard.

bubs

Performer looks like a candidate. I’ll post a pic if I can get one – sadly, white tyres were not mentioned.

aether531
    Free Member

The early 90s pro freestyle tour came in chrome too. I had one, and i wish I still had it!

cjr61

Good luck Bubs!

finbar
    Free Member

I wanted one of these so badly in 1994:

Well, what I really wanted was a Hoffman Big Daddy, but this would have done the trick.

kerley
    Free Member

And all I wanted in 1984 was a Harry Leary Turbo

bubs

….and here it is in all of its glory. Google suggests that it is a 1998 GT Performer Rainbow. Unfortunately the chrome is pretty bad on the cranks and the rear hub has some play but everything else looks ok or easily fixed. The biggest problem is its size and weight as I am not sure my boy will even be able to lift it!

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Hope this doesn’t come across as too harsh.

It was a dog of a bike when it was new. 🙁

bubs

All input is good as I know nothing about BMXs. It was a £10 blind purchase to be a do’er-upper. It should give me a few hours fun tinkering and my son 5 minutes fun before he concludes it is a heavy lump of iron and never touches it again 🙂

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

The price was right. Lose the front brake and the gyro, just run a single cable to he rear brake. 🙂

Zedsdead
    Free Member

a tenner, good buy.

The GT Piston Stem is worth that.

takisawa2

Looks like mine. Been in the shed since about 98. Bought on a stupid whim, I dusted it off & had an hour at the local skate park with my lad. I looked a knob & this was confirmed when I fell off the stupid thing.
    The kids have threatened to leave it out for the tat man.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GFhEu3]1997(ish) GT Performer[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

cjr61

Good buy Bubs. Rainbow ones are slightly marmite but fetch reasonable money for resale. Nice project

cjr61

Ps saddle, bars and stem worth £40 on their own so £10 bargain!!

pickle
    Free Member

I’m with Andy Sweet, run away! 🙂

Coyote
    Free Member

I bought a Mongoose Culture in far worse knick than that. Really enjoyed doing it up. Apart from racing my son up and down the street it now sits in the garage looking good.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘GT bmx – worth a punt?’ is closed to new replies.