Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Grizedale cheeky surprise!
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

This evening I was shown a new trail in Grizedale, and it's really good. It's called the North Face Trail…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

…but BACKWARDS :o)

I never would have thought it, but it's much better the other way!

Of course, I would never encourage anyone to ride it the wrong way in daylight, you might easily be involved in a nasty collision with a rider going the right way and not expecting reverse traffic on the one way trail – but after dark lights will anounce your approach in plenty of time!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I can see why that initial singletrack climb would be excellent backwards but the rest of it I can't imagine being any better? Are't the rest of the singletrack sections downhill (when ridden the right way)?

grumm
    Free Member

Are't the rest of the singletrack sections downhill (when ridden the right way)

It's cleverly designed so that it's not downhill in any direction (apart from on fire roads) 😛

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I can see why that initial singletrack climb would be excellent backwards but the rest of it I can't imagine being any better? Are't the rest of the singletrack sections downhill (when ridden the right way)?

well, I might have made similar speculations prior to riding it, but the proof is in the pudding. If you only define 'good' as downhill then you might not like parts of it the wrong way – but I found them more interesting to ride that way.

BTW I forgot to mention, the duckboard section near the end now has strips of what looks like wet&dry abrasive strips on each board, making it easier to ride when wet.

pinches
    Free Member

going up on saturday to the north face i think, never riden it before! i was hoping it wasn't going to be massively pedally 🙁

grumm
    Free Member

pinches have you ridden other bits in Grizedale before? First two bits from the VC are ok to get towards Parkamoor etc but the rest is a waste of time really. Loads of ace bridleways in the forest that are much, much better.

crazy-legs

going up on saturday to the north face i think, never riden it before! i was hoping it wasn't going to be massively pedally

It's an entry level XC mountain bike trail not a bloody pump track!

pinches
    Free Member

well, the problem is, my actual XC rig is out of action so we've both got short travel 4x full sus bikes to take, which is probably not ideal as they're rubbish for climbing.

never riden grizedale at all, been rallying there but not riding!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

James, we also did a new bit, turning left just after the water plunge at the top of Titty's track. It appears to have been constructed as a proper bike trail, but very narrow singletrack, which winds and plunges very steeply to emerge on the fire road between Moor Top and the VC. Great fun, and quite loose in places :o)

Drac

Tried it once to see if it was worth it or not, complete waste of riding so much better in there to ride without venturing on that. Ok maybe for family rides but that's it.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so we've both got short travel 4x full sus bikes to take, which is probably not ideal as they're rubbish for climbing.

aren't we being too precious ?

Pook
    grumm
    Free Member

never riden grizedale at all, been rallying there but not riding!

Don't bother with the NFT – I bet some of the BW descents would be fun on those bikes.

This is a good shortish one (nicked off bogtrotters site) – http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=25823

Or this is a great one –
    http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=19624

plenty of climbing though 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

This is a good shortish one (nicked off bogtrotters site)

note that you could take in the first (best) section of the NFT on this route, as the NFT starts 300m from the bottom of Scale Green Intake, and climbs to the same junction.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

my actual XC rig is out of action so we've both got short travel 4x full sus bikes to take, which

You don't need more than a hardtail for NFT.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You don't need more than a hardtail for NFT.

crazy legs has done it on his cross bike 🙂

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

crazy legs has done it on his cross bike

He wouldn't be underbiked. There's nothing in NFT that can't be found on some X races. Three Peaks is probably technically harder.

pinches
    Free Member

well i would take a hardtail, but i don't have one!

crazy-legs

well, the problem is, my actual XC rig is out of action so we've both got short travel 4x full sus bikes to take

You presumably saw the recent test in ST of 4x bikes where they specifically took them to a trail centre to test them?
    You can ride it on any bike although, as mentioned, there's plenty of trails in Grizedale far better than the NFT.

njee20
    Free Member

The NPS XC race rode parts of the NFT backwards, I remember thinking in several places 'this would be more fun the right way'!

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I'll be in Grizedale on Saturday, but won't touch NFT. Aiming for a 25 mile ride, on far better stuff than that.

pinches
    Free Member

You presumably saw the recent test in ST of 4x bikes where they specifically took them to a trail centre to test them?
    You can ride it on any bike although, as mentioned, there's plenty of trails in Grizedale far better than the NFT.

yes we quite regularly do trail centres on them, however we seam to push to the top of most of them and descend. I think the more recent 4x bikes pedal alot better than mine, of 04 vintage, its a nightmare to ride upwards

grumm
    Free Member

You'll be one of these people then 😉

Seriously though, if it's a pig to pedal I think you will find the north face trail very dissapointing – you'd be better off pushing up to the Fox or something then doing a few downhills from there.

pinches
    Free Member

yeah when out on the intense i would be one of those types! i also race XC though, and have a suitable bike for it, just out of service!

grumm
    Free Member

Also, I reckon whinlatter would be much better on that type of bike, you could session the last downhill bits on each loop – lots of 4x type jumps and berms and stuff there.

pinches
    Free Member

that sounds more like it!

GaVgAs
    Free Member

"Also, I reckon whinlatter would be much better on that type of bike"

I agree,the new Blue section (south of road) and red at Whinllater would be great,just be carefull of tyre choice and tyre pressures though! "sherks away quick" 😉

haddock
    Free Member

panarac………Sc ….. 😉

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale cheeky surprise!’ is closed to new replies.