Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 645 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • JohnClimber
    Free Member

Fugly

chewkw
    Free Member

Very realistic budget.

Design not too bad but could be better.

If I were to build one it will be completely square like Borg ship.

retro83
    Free Member

It’ll just give them moar dappling!!1!

Harry_the_Spider

Another good one. Not my particular taste, but it isn’t my house.

This series is so much better without the £750,000 budget + 50% over run and “Engineered German Windows”. I think what really helps is that the people have all been likable and the budgets realistic.

Next week a former CEO of a city trading house and his trophy bride will spend £2,500,000 on a fur and gold space station on an island in the Thames.

hora
    Free Member

The no windows at the front etc? Could it be that the area has plots of land sold off for development and the front will have something else?

It is probably classed as developer land, ex brownfield due to its previous use?

jimplops

I wondered that, but then Kevin walked down a path from an adjacent street, so it’s probably a cheeky bit of singletrack and they don’t want bikers peering in.

CountZero

I thought it was very well executed and looked lovely. They’ll never shut the doors on the kitchen (the doors didn’t look very robust either) and you’d have to really learn to love wood if you were living there.

If your entire life revolves around bending wood for decorative purposes, then living with it goes without saying! 😀
    I really did love that house, the passion that they both showed for the construction and the hours that they put into building it themselves was palpable.
    Stunning build, I loved it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

get the kettle on and settle in for tonight…

matt_outandabout

400m2 and it overlooks and is size of a row of terraces… 😯

neilnevill
    Free Member

A professional builder? Hmmm, so much less scope for monumental blunders of the entertaining kind

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Already started to go wrong with a dodgy concrete pump.

matt_outandabout

Did they just cut all that by hand?

sadexpunk

Did they just cut all that by hand?

s’what i was just wondering. no sign of a circular or chop saw anywhere!!

neilnevill
    Free Member

they don’t sound very ecited by the house….its almost that he just likes the process of building, what it is that is built is superfluous

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Bridging loan with his experience, they are **** for the rest of their working life

tuffty
    Free Member

400m2 for a couple!

matt_outandabout

I have no sympathy with the huuuuge and posh house owners who have over stretched themselves this week.

Bridging loan for £200k and they aren’t at final fix? With his experience?

jimplops

They reduced their old house to £795k yesterday!

Harry_the_Spider

A lot of house for the money. Whether it is too much is up to them to decide.

I liked the sloping stonework on the lower floor and the general scale of the place.

mcj78
    Free Member

When they did the tour of the finished build it looked like walking into one of these out of town furniture warehouses – amazing building but I reckon places of that scale suit more ultra-modern / Jackie Treehorn style furnishings 😐

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Seemed like a massive waste of space and time to me, I would well get a pair of Bauer Turbo’s to get about indoors though.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Well bloody hell, I knew the property before the opening credits ran having recognised the path that Kev and dog were on.
    Weirdly I never once saw a TV crew there, nor Kev, nor am I pregnant.

ElShalimo

If someone kindly bought the property, they could furnish the new one.
    Go on, you know you want to: clicky

ulysse
    Free Member

Captainsash, our mate lives on the corner of Little Stones/ Cox Green, so I must have drove past a thousand times, and never noticed anything myself, I’m gonna take a deeks now the next time I’m up there

lowey

Anyone catch last nights ?

Cant really make my mind up about the finished product, but the views were stunning. I did think however, that the programme brushed over the downsides to the story. It took over TWO years to complete!! The bloke had the proper thousand yard stare at the end too.

tomhoward

Is it back on?

Did Kev knock her up?
    Over budget?
    problems that could have been avoided by having a main contractor/project manager/architect/not doing the whole thing themselves while having no experience?

2 years isn’t too bad, some of them don’t get finished…

brakes
    Free Member

just another brown box in the countryside. Grand Designs need to up their game, or just be called Same Designs.

there was a weird conversation going on at the end with the couple sat together and they were talking about the overspend. looked like they’d done about 50 takes and he was just trotting out the same lines with a grimace on his face whilst his wife just nodded along.

they should talk about where they got the extra money from, how long it’s going to take them to pay off the debt. who f***ed up and how.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just started reading the thread from page 1, agreeing with some of the comments based on last nights episode, didn’t realise the comments were from last year… could have been last nights 😆

somafunk

I managed to count at least 4 “**** sake” eminating from kevin throughout the program and his contempt for the architect was very obvious throughout, the almighty cock-up with the utilities was just the perfect final touch.

The quote from kevin re : “Not buying from the internet” was priceless 😀

binners

Watched last nights. Same old same old. Haven’t watched it for years as it had just become an exercise in ticking boxes.

Windows imported from Germany? Tick!
    Quarter/half a million over budget? Tick!
    6 months behind schedule? Tick!
    End result looks like a visitor centre? Tick!

I won’t be watching any more for years either.

At least the guy had the honesty to admit at the end when asked if it was worth it…

No!

But you have to ask the question….. How many builders do you have to be knocked back by before you ask yourself if this maybe isn’t the best idea you ever had? We decided that after 3 you’d be seriously reappraising things.

But 12?!!! Who gets knocked back by 12 builders, but comes to the conclusion “I know! Having absolutely no experience of this kind of thing, and as the people who do won’t touch it with a barge-pole, I’ll do it myself!”
    😯

franksinatra

Kevin and the lady Dr really didn’t like each other did they? There was a couple of times Kevin questioned the odd design decisions and she just muttered ‘we are quite happy.’

bellerophon
    Free Member

Kevin and the lady Dr really didn’t like each other did they? There was a couple of times Kevin questioned the odd design decisions and she just muttered ‘we are quite happy.’

It was palpable 🙂 mind you Kevin pointed out the bleeding obvious; lounge looking at back garden rather than front view which was fantastic, removing that bedroom in the corner would have enhanced the front room.

Inbred456
    Free Member

You have to admit though the views of the terraced garden were spectacular. I was more interested in the cellular concrete construction.

somafunk

I guess the spare bedroom was an afterthought, i imagine the Dr is now using it as her bedroom to get as far away from that **** wit of a partner

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gotta laugh when they didn’t get a utilities report from the off though..

Turned into a pretty expensive £40 oversight..

Yeah, I thought that too..

councilof10
    Free Member

Kev seems to have upped his confrontational game… How long before he does a piece-to-camera with a black eye?

The program has some really jarring, lazy production too – inconsistent splicing of footage that was clearly shot in completely different seasons…

Merak

I don’t watch it anymore because of Kevs self righteous delivery. Hes a gonk. I’d love to see him get chinned tbf.

councilof10
    Free Member

They seemed like a nice enough couple, but he was a bit of a tool. I suspect she probably told him as much when she screamed “40 ***king grand??? You ***king tool!!!”.

But I kinda like the way her hackles rose whenever Kev suggested as much! 😀

franksinatra

The staircase was very lovely

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Oh, and has Kev had his teeth done? Looked very Hollywood..

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 645 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.