Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 645 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • Dickyboy

Maybe they bought shares in Elastoplast?

I think the swimming pool just about tops it when it comes to form over function.

martinhutch

I think the swimming pool just about tops it when it comes to form over function.

Every nuclear power plant needs a cooling pond.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Shocking. I’m with the haters.

I know all skate/BMX parks look similar but that looked very like one I visited a few times…. Can’t remember exactly where it was but North London/Essex border. The bike looked quite similar to my old dp freestyle too (with chain stays coming forward of the seat post). Made me nostalgic

Andy_K

It was certainly the most concete-y of all the concrete GDs. I didn’t actually hate the inside as much as I thought I would in the end, but the bare surfaces really sucked the light out of the place, and there wasn’t a great many windows to start with. You could see how dark it was when the were filming the final reveal.

It’s sort of nice that it exists, but glad I’m not living in it.

Ooh, and looking forward to the return of the King of Cob next week! Although didn’t he eventually sell the place, or at least try to?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Tonight’s is one of my all time favourites.  How long has it taken so far ?

matt_outandabout

I agree – looking forward to the finished thing, 7 years later…

DT78
    Free Member

amazing build.  given they seemed to be out of money, and then he’s got divorced, how the he’ll has he managed to kit it out with such awesome stuff?  that gym must have been several thousand on it’s own.

I thought they would be saying he’d had to sell up

ElShalimo

Divorce = sale of old family home?

tomhoward

Has Kev given up impregnating the wives and now just flat out stealing them?

TheDTs
    Free Member

New partner = Injection of cash?

tomhoward

Wonder what the new one thinks of the plug socket placement?

Dickyboy

First of this current series, Dinton Castle’s up for sale £850k, didn’t take them long to work out that it’s not right for two growing boys then 🤔

https://m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/49291394?search_identifier=4e96ce5783f40a19b167718bbac0c3d0&fbclid=IwAR3wdOQdi4EjmKVOlrlobOZTbNTBpWuKGY9EMbUMZIYR7d6YRvR4VESR5Go

ajantom

Divorce = sale of old family home

Kev sold his old house (which is also cob, and next door to his new place).

He does also do a lot of other cob work around the area, which is one of the reasons it took so long I suppose. But as long as he keeps working then the cash kept coming in. It’s a big old place!

On another note….he’s also an MTBer, and friends with a few of us on here.

tomhoward

On another note….he’s also an MTBer, and friends with a few of us on here.

Explains the log burner.

But where does he keep his bikes??

Harry_the_Spider

But where does he keep his bikes??

In a shed… made of cob.

Stunning end result, but at what cost?

Scamper
    Free Member

He’d certainly toned up in his new cob gym by the end of the show.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Explains the log burner.

Yeah but I didn’t see a pizza oven or an Audi anywhere, I’m still not convinced is a proper biker

jam-bo

There was a outdoor cob oven early on.

Hooligan type Scooby wrx in the background of a shot.

He could build an epic pump track with those mud skills.

ElShalimo

Does he have the biggest arms in SW England?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As an ex concrete technician and Plant Supervisor (AKA batcher) I watched the concrete house episode with a little bit of horror mixed with amazement. Firstly, there’s bugger all ‘new’ or ‘cutting edge’ about poly or steel fibres in a mix. I was using those 20 years ago. (Blackbushe Metals in Hampshire has a slab they smash cars to bits on. It’s the strongest mix we could supply at the time, containing both microsilica and steel fibres, for instance)

I wasn’t surprised when the shuttering burst. They were pouring what looked like a superplasticised mix (i.e. absolute piss) and the fluid pressure at the bottom would have been very high. Stuff like that is generally poured slowly so it’s going off at the bottom whilst you’re sill pouring in the top.

Im really not sure about not using rebar in the walls and subsitituing fibres instead. As far as I can see it complicates everything. Just use the rebar you muppet.

I did giggle when thy implied the pump couldn’t pump their special mix. Again, that’s was a sloppy superplasticsied mix. It should virtually pump itself. I’d have refused to pay the pump hire because that’s their fault. He probably hadn’t primed the line properly (using cement slurry)  or cleaned it out previously. That was a farce, believe me.

The actual house was a disaster too. Bloody awful. Terribly finished. They’ll never sell it.

matt_outandabout

And we are back.

Kevin’s face when they stated it would be ‘simple, contemporary, pared back interiors’ – and the Paul the alien is carried in…. 🤣🤣🤣

MrSmith
    Free Member

Christ that’s grim. Looks like an 80’s car dealership.
    They love it so that’s all that matters (just as well as a tricky sell without changing it to business use)

richmars

What about last weeks? The house on the Scottish cliff top. Great view but a bit windy most of the time.

matt_outandabout

The house on the Scottish cliff top

That was overlooked by a new housing development and next door to derelict hotel…

At least that one had some style and coherence, unlike tonight’s giant pile disconnected and gauche offering.

revs1972
    Free Member

Just watching tonight’s on plus one.
    Dear oh dear , another one who thinks he can project manage.
    Mmmmm, pay your cladders to stay at home whilst the timber boys go home at 4.
    Obviously paying them too much, not met an erector yet who turns down extra hours (nor crane drivers come to that ) 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Watched the cliff top house last night. I liked the look of the finished article, probably because it looked like a WW2 RAF dipersal pen. The location was stunning but I couldn’t cope with the weather myself, however that was their choice.

Liked the couple too. My Missus would have said exactly the same thing about the boulders.

If that wrong batch of concrete had set before they could remedy it what would they have done?

Shame about the dog.

nicko74

If that wrong batch of concrete had set before they could remedy it what would they have done?

Wondered that, and thought (from the comfort of my sofa) that I’d be getting the concrete contractors to dig it out and replace it at their expense…

edhornby

I genuinely don’t get the need to pour concrete ?? especially for rectangular boxes which are then covered by something like stud and plaster, surely it would be better to either use those prefab wooden walls that you join together or just block. The cliff top house would have been fine with block, although I did like it.

the round one left me completely underwhelmed, I’d have been a bit more discerning with the choice of architect if it were me.

Harry_the_Spider

Just caught up in the cylindrical buildings one.

Not my taste, but he got an awful lot for his £1.2m: Star Trek sinks, silver settees, swimming pool and karaoke room. All that in 13 months! They clearly loved it and you have to admire the guy’s work ethic.

I suppose that the cladding will silver over time and the grounds will become more established to soften it a bit

I can see how he got into a spot of bother with his cladders, they were hired on a firm hand shake and “my word is my bond” basis, but the timber frame erectors were not. If he had broken his deal with the cladders it would have damaged his reputation and cost them money, but he was clearly a guy who wouldn’t do that. I liked him even more for that.

The place reminded me of cross between the visitors centre at Jurassic Park and bulk chemical storage, but it was their house and they got what they wanted.

maccruiskeen

Is there some sort of product placement deal going on?

There was a lot to be taken aback by in this weeks episode but the beauty shots of Kevin arriving in his car and lingering on it being parked pefectly in profile were a bit odd.

davosaurusrex

^ I said exactly the same to the missus!

jimdubleyou

This week’s nutter has built a smaller house to fund his massive lighthouse…

Edit: £1.2 million on the foundations!

davosaurusrex

Wow. Brutal.

P20

Wow. That was some episode

jimdubleyou

Brutal indeed.

cultsdave
    Free Member

Hmm, no house/money/wife by the end. Not worth it.

tomhoward

Wow. Brutal.

Indeed, we’ve noticed Kev has gone from fertility guru to harbinger of doom this series.

Can’t help but feel that the 250k plus spent on professional fees have set him up for an almighty fall/money pit, esp when the architect was talking about the wonderfulness of a double curved wall, while the client was haemorrhaging money

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yep, quite depressing, that one.

olddog

He was just never wealthy enough to afford the build.

Questions about who would who would lend him money.

The one storey house is actually really nice and much more sympathetic to the site

kelvin

Bonkers.

The one storey house is actually really nice and much more sympathetic to the site

And could be built without knocking down the family home that was already there (in an amazing spot).

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 645 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.