Grand Designs

Home Forum Chat Forum Grand Designs

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 429 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • CountZero

For me a nice view would be good, as would enough outside space to have a veg patch, but I want to live within walking distance of some friends, a pub, some shops and entertainment. A holiday in the middle of nowhere is wonderful but for me nothing worse than being stuck there. I go slightly stir crazy at the SIL’s in France where there a 30minute walk from the village – having to get in the car for everything isn’t my idea of fun.

They were pretty well screened from the supermarket car park and their views into the hills were lovely.

Thinking about it, that plot would have suited me fine.
    Same here. The views were lovely, and really gave the feeling of remoteness, while having all the benefits of local amenities within really easy reach.
    A very close friend of mine owns a house that many would think ideal, it’s a 16th C farmhouse on the Fosseway, close to Castle Combe, and surrounded by the South Cotswold countryside.

It’s so appealing that it was chosen as the English home of a character in a Japanese animé called Kiniro Mosaic, and attracts a lot of visitors as a result:

It’s also a hotel, restaurant and tearoom, as well as Caron’s home, and it really does posess a lot of the things that people really desire.
    However, the two nearest villages, Nettleton and Castle Combe offer limited facilities Nettleton has a small shop and post office, Castle Combe has neither, both involve a long walk along either narrow lanes or along footpaths, each taking about half to three-quarters of an hour to walk to, the nearest main road is a mile along the Fosseway in one direction, over two miles in the other.
    There are no buses that use the Fosseway, the nearest supermarket is in Chippenham, seven miles away, and as for peace and quiet, yes, it is quiet, but has the constant white noise of the M4 around two-three miles away.
    I increasingly realise that, as you get older, the restrictions placed on you by living in a home somewhat removed from everyone else comes with its extra price; that of needing a car for everything, and if you should find yourself unable to drive, then things get very difficult indeed!
    Just to give an idea of how spread out everywhere is, Caron’s home, called Lugbury Farm on the map, now called Fosse Farmhouse, is right in the centre, all the lanes are narrow, the Fosseway is, just, two lane, but in places needing passing places, in some very steep and narrow.

I think there’s a bus a couple of times a day that stops at The Gib, just to the North-East. it’s a mile walk.

Premier Icon bigdean
    Subscriber

We’ve never moved on from every ad break being preceded by “Black!” in a fast show stylee.

5thElefant

Same here. The views were lovely, and really gave the feeling of remoteness, while having all the benefits of local amenities within really easy reach.

I know the area around castle combe. Way too busy for me. Thanks to Amazon everything you’d ever need is a single click and 24 hours away.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Thats positively cosmopolitan CZ 🙂 – a couple of folk I used to visit for work lived here

Forget buses – apples are are a newsworthy event. Neither of them drive but they both travelled globally with their work. Its just that the beginning and end of each trip was half a day in the post-bus. 🙂 In fact it was a surprise how many people I used to meet up that way who didn’t drive or have a car in the household. IIRC at the time buses to Thurso were once a fortnight.

cozz

Looks like this is going to be a classic

Couple of knobbers from London with too much money

Buying a beautiful old house in the country with character

And ruining it
    A massive black barn in the back garden. No view of the rear lawns and beautiful trees anymore
    Budget of over 800 k for a big shed
    Crack on !

Pffftttt, I grew up here.

Nearest post box is a mile away, nearest streetlamp is two.

Had to share it with the paying proletariat though.

Premier Icon steveoath
    Subscriber

Tonight’s looks, erm, a bit special.

hora

Reminds me of the people who bought the house in Beetlejuice.

Or the big commercial sheds that farmers put next to their farmhouse

Who gives out planning permission? Its not sympathetic, balanced or matches the old lodge.

minichops

Wtf check the ham out!!

cchris2lou

i quite like it , and the people too .

Premier Icon steveoath
    Subscriber

Turned out quite nice.

johndoh

Funky build but they just said ‘**** that’ to the original building which was a shame as it had some lovely detail that could have been echoed in the new build.

Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber

Built for the kids. Ace.

Not a visitor centre like they normally are.

Premier Icon Twodogs
    Subscriber

How many times was the word “fun” used?

CountZero

I think that’s the first one where I’ve actually laughed out loud! There’s some delightful touches to that house, it’s been built with love and care, with the children being fully involved about the whole house, not just their bedrooms, which is a first!
    Lots of quirky touches, but why the hell not, if they can be included during the build.
    The build came in right on time, and pretty much on budget too, but then they’re both professionals employing professionals to oversee the project?
    Loved the brickwork, too, the quilted effect was lovely, as was the fireplace.

hora

I don’t mind the interior it’s the exterior (and who looks at the people?!?), it’s not sympathetic to its surroundings at all. Just a giant black shed. Or as Kevin said ‘it’s like a giant black tent draped over a large frame.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

I liked it a lot.

No mention was made of the link to the old house though.

I wonder what their plans really are for that? Granny Annex? Holiday Let? Accidently back a digger into it and gain a front garden?

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

I too liked it. The outside was pretty good, the brickwork and the dark zinc worked well, IMO. Inside was, well, fun.
    Not so sure about doing it so close to the old house, but it would have been a shame to knock it down.

I suspect they were being honest – old house will become a “guest wing” which they could potentially let out.

I really like the outside – the textured brickwork and zinc looked fantastic.tic and should age gracefully. Unashamadely modern.

Some lovely details on the interior and some fails. The fireplace was elegant but made tacky by the Latin text. Clashing styles in an open plan space looked like an interiors show with different room sets. They are over budget – they’ve spent it all and are some way off finishing. A full refurb on an old 3 bed house(?) to a high standard has got be 50k minimum plus a chunk for that glazed link.

cchris2lou

Blown budget

baby

self builder

it was all there tonight .

Premier Icon stu170
    Subscriber

One of my most favourite ever tonight, they were so nice, and the build was stunning.

Swelper

Simply stunning craftsmanship, and very likeable humble family. Best build I’ve seen for a while right up there with guy who made his cave house, the engineer in Oban who converted an old ice store in the rock and who can forget the hobbit house on the woods

mrsheen

Fantastic advert for their business too. 8)

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Well yes, apart from the fact the old cottage basically had no real identified use. Playroom? Business? Flat?

Only saw last 5 minutes but there was a nice big room for them. The two kids sharing and oh yes she’s preggers, so are there enough rooms?

Premier Icon ourmaninthenorth
    Subscriber

Long ago I gave up watching Grand Designs, so far had it moved from what originally interested me.

By chance I decided to watch it tonight, though without knowing what was due to be shown.

That has to be up there with one of the best I have seen – their dedication, ability, vision and sense of design being perfectly brought together in their house. Excellent.

sofaboy73

Ah but no issues with bespoke German glazing, so doesn’t get house in grand designs bingo. But truly stunning house

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Wow. One of the best I’ve seen.

I guess that as the kids grow up they can move into the old building.

johndoh

Interesting build but way, way too much wood – basically the same idea regurgitated again and again. Not that I could’ve built anything like it but not enough interest in the building.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

Meh

The steamed bent wood looked OK, but you wouldn’t want it everywhere.
    The kitchen looked like a sauna and you’d soon get bored of opening cupboard doors to get at the kitchen features.
    And it is hard to feel sorry for a couple who’s business has taken off so much that they don’t have the time to finish hand building their own house – luckily having enough money to get builders in though.
    Jealous moi? 🙂

Premier Icon lowey
    Subscriber

Brilliant. One of my favorites. Lovely couple and a great build.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

That was absolutely brilliant. Something genuinely unique. I bet he’s going to have a busy order book on the back of that. Good on him. His work was amazing. And they seemed like really nice people.

Nice to see that Kev has got the memo about acres of German imported glass slotted into place to produce another minted couple’s ego-castle, that looks like a visitor centre, isn’t actually very interesting to watch

5thElefant

Only saw last 5 minutes but there was a nice big room for them. The two kids sharing and oh yes she’s preggers, so are there enough rooms?

Yeah, for a mathematician she did a poor job of calculating how many bedrooms they needed.

johndoh

Yeah, for a mathematician she did a poor job of calculating how many bedrooms they needed.

I am sure they always had plans to extend in the future – I believe they were in a conservation area so they were probably limited on size but now they have the building (and it looks great) the planning guys will be more relaxed about them extending it.

now they have the building (and it looks great) the planning guys will be more relaxed about them extending it.

That’s not usually how it works – in fact the opposite. When planning is tricky it normally comes with a clause that removes any permitted development rights and makes future extensions difficult.

I thought it was very well executed and looked lovely. They’ll never shut the doors on the kitchen (the doors didn’t look very robust either) and you’d have to really learn to love wood if you were living there.

The layout didn’t make any sense at all though – why would you design a 2 bedroom house with 3 1/2 living rooms if you’d already got 2 kids? The house was big – 220m2. In a couple of years they’ll end up ripping apart the work they did on the cottage to create another couple of bedrooms and a bathroom. Seems a waste.

Also, the reason the upstairs was small was because of the wide balconies they’ll almost certainly never use.

timber

I very much doubt it’s in a conservation area, got a very good idea of where it is as friends and friends of friends were involved in the build.
    Sized to a price without sacrificing aesthetic wants, the rest will sort itself out in time.

retro83

Haha, not a great start so far.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

So, is Kev going to provide the grandchild, rather than just child?

yosemitepaul

Wait till all the spiders and other bugs get between the joints of all that black cladding. It won’t have those clean sharp looks in a years time.
    Rotting leaves on those rooftop windows will look good too.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

looks like it was designed using minecraft…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 429 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.