Grand Designs

Home Forum Chat Forum Grand Designs

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 429 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • yanboss

ta muchly

Premier Icon piedi di formaggio
    Subscriber

No clear idea if it’s possible and what it might really cost. Good start!

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Isn’t that the same line every week?

Subscriber

It’s a tried and tested formula, so why change it?

Premier Icon dknwhy
    Subscriber

How long before somebody ends up pregnant?

Subscriber

Well, it’s basically a big multi-storey shed in the sky.

If only they’d given McMoonter a call

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Have they run out of budget yet?

Have they decided to spend more on the windows then first planned?

Are they really using the natural light here to make you feel outside?

Subscriber

‘self sufficient’ – tick

It ain’t no tree house, that’s for sure!

Premier Icon neila
    Subscriber

Also, quite handily, we have been able to view the progress from the overlooking Sainsbury carpark. Most amusing.

Subscriber

2 years into the 9 month project. Standard GD performance

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

T minus 10 minutes.

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

Looks nice on the outside, really not keen on the inside. Just doesn’t hang together for me.

Subscriber

Meh

Not doing it for me

How did they get building regs sign off on that raised walkway entrance without a handrail?

bol

I love that. Inspiring.

CountZero

Stunning, love it! Love all the upcycling of the RR tiles, the gym floor and lab work tops, as well as the walkway.
    The views from the various windows are fabulous and the ties in the kitchen are gorgeous.
    The random old furniture works for me as well.
    I could happily live there, there isn’t anything I’d change.

hora

It’s in a conversation area so we can’t use concentrate ….no Tescos used up all that on two sides of your small plot of land..

Why soo much wood used in a cold damp country?

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

Loved it too.
    I was surprised the council gave it PP.

Premier Icon isto
    Subscriber

Have they run out of budget yet?

We get it…..you dislike grand designs. To be fair though. I think the majority of people building their own house (that I know of anyway) could probably tick the above.

We get it…..you dislike grand designs. To be fair though. I think the majority of people building their own house (that I know of anyway) could probably tick the above.

I like Grand Designs but some of the regular tropes are rather tiresome. The main one is people starting with, or claiming, budgets that are not even close to achievable even if they’d just added up the obvious big ticket items (even if you allow for ‘architect’ pricing).

We’ve just about built our house ‘on budget’ but that was done by having realistic planning figures for costs and a proper contingency (which all got spent)

retro83

Great episode, and I loved the end result. So much better than the tedious teletubby exterior/massively expensive german glass/eco bawbags airtight insulation/white paint interior recipe.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou
    Subscriber

walkway entrance without a handrail

I thought that, but I’m thinking it’s not finished yet? Didn’t look like there was any glass / barrier in most of the handrail around the deck.

avdave2

I liked both it and the people building it, not often that happens it’s usually one at best.
    It’s one of my favourites I think, I’d actually like to live in it.

johndoh

Next week’s looks like it is going to be utterly bonkers.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

We get it…..you dislike grand designs.

You’re wrong.

Were there rainy shots of it dripping into the interior with Kevin saying this could put them weeks behind?

Premier Icon mick_r
    Subscriber

I generally liked it and them.

Can’t believe a bike website hasn’t pointed out Pedersen bikes were made in Dursley. In fact, the “tree house” looks like it is just off Long Lane where Mikael Pedersen had a bike track in the back garden of Raglan House. The house is still there, but the back garden and old Lister works now look flattened and full of bland new builds.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.682393,-2.3511611,3a,75y,194.92h,97.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRqpJLnDKqXVADGa2-2Ex8A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Premier Icon mahalo
    Subscriber

i liked the wallpaper!

gavinpearce

Thought the structure was interesting. The timber cladding will look much better in its context when it’s weathered. Project cost discussion at the end was predictably woolly. Handrails a bit lacking but with some judicious use of interpretation the access ramp may be considered the approach to the building not the actual building.

Premier Icon steveoath
    Subscriber

Why do they show so many unfinished houses during each series? Surely be better off waiting to they’re complete.

gavinpearce

Probably wouldn’t be a programme!

johndoh

Why do they show so many unfinished houses during each series? Surely be better off waiting to they’re complete.

Think about it. It’s very obvious, given the recurring subject most weeks.

rmacattack

‘ johns a city banker earning 1 million per year but this is his second mortgage for the build. Hes had to get another loan as his flat in london is still mortgaged ‘

thenorthwind

Just caught up with this. Beautiful result and deserved as he in particular seems like a talented and down to earth guy. But…

How did it take 3 “structural engineers” and £14k to work out that triangles are strong than squares. It took a year before the bloke with thick-rimmed glasses wearing a scarf indoors stuck some braces n and just about halved the quantity of steel they needed. IANASE (though IAAE) but that just seemed obvious.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

No. Not windows Drac. You mean ‘bespoke glazing system’ 😉

Pretty good reversing by the tractor driver too.

jekkyl

I liked the house but the location was terrible. If I was spending all that money building my dream house I’d build it in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbour a minimum of half a mile away. I can’t help thinking when they open the windows or sit outside in the summer all they’re going to hear is engines from the supermarket carpark. Terrible.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

jekkyl – Member

I liked the house but the location was terrible. If I was spending all that money building my dream house I’d build it in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbour a minimum of half a mile away. I can’t help thinking when they open the windows or sit outside in the summer all they’re going to hear is engines from the supermarket carpark. Terrible.

It’s not always easy to buy land in the places like that though, plus access, planning permission etc. Then if you throw in budget, you’re making it harder again.

Whilst we’d all love our dream location, the reality is often far more complex.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

If I was spending all that money building my dream house I’d build it in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbour a minimum of half a mile away.

You want to build a house in the place that you and everyone else would object to if you weren’t the person building it. It what everyone wants and what everyone wants nobody else to have. 🙂

And incidentally – I’ve lived in exactly that scenario – one neighbour 1/2 a mile away, nearest hamlet about 3 miles away, nearest town 10 miles away. And you know what you can hear? – all day and night? With 2ft thick stone walls and 4″ of insulated dry lining? Traffic. When its that quiet you can hear everything. The sound of traffic was the first thing anyone commented on when they came to visit.

Conversely I’ve also lived two places in central Glasgow – both corner properties with 10ft tall single glazed sash window – that people always described as ‘eerily quiet’.

The problem with any properly quiet location is every noise you can hear seems significant.

If I was spending all that money building my dream house I’d build it in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbour a minimum of half a mile away

For me a nice view would be good, as would enough outside space to have a veg patch, but I want to live within walking distance of some friends, a pub, some shops and entertainment. A holiday in the middle of nowhere is wonderful but for me nothing worse than being stuck there. I go slightly stir crazy at the SIL’s in France where there a 30minute walk from the village – having to get in the car for everything isn’t my idea of fun.

They were pretty well screened from the supermarket car park and their views into the hills were lovely.

Thinking about it, that plot would have suited me fine.

How did it take 3 “structural engineers” and £14k to work out that triangles are strong than squares.

That’s exactly what I said today. More to the point, did two different structural engineers take the job on, charge him a shit load of money and then say “sorry, can’t solve this one”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 429 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.