• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by sem.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Good routes in/near Derby?
  • timnwild

I've got one day – anyone recommend a good loop?

Ta

funkynick

Are you stuck in Derby? Or can you drive a little way? If so you have the Peak District just up the road.

Or if you can't get that far, then I'd suggest having a look up the Amber Valley around Belper/Crich etc

Pook

+1 Ambergate.

leahstaff
    Free Member

Grab an OS map and look south of derby towards Ticknall \ Foremark. Theres loads of bridlepaths etc worth a ride

vdubber67
    Free Member

leahstaff – Member
    Grab an OS map and look south of derby towards Ticknall \ Foremark. Theres loads of bridlepaths etc worth a ride

+1 Start from Ticknall, go out along the bridleways, through and round Robin Wood, up towards (and through) Carvers Rocks near Hartshorne. Some quite good stuff, bit of rocky stuff, even a few 'hills'

🙂

AndrewL

If you can head North a bit something round Ambergate/ Matlock would be more exciting. WHen I used to live in Derby my local loop was Mackworth / Kirk Langley / Brailsford direction to the North West.

Not super technical but nice rolling countryside and a few more interesting bits.

Coleman
    Free Member

Here's a circular route starting from Derby. Not at all technical, apart from a nice descent off The Chevin, but a pleasant ride through rolling countryside.

timnwild

Thanks – that looks perfect.

Coleman
    Free Member

timnwild – could send a copy with route description if you have e-mail.

alcolepone
    Free Member

leahstaff – Member

+1 Start from Ticknall, go out along the bridleways, through and round Robin Wood, up towards (and through) Carvers Rocks near Hartshorne. Some quite good stuff, bit of rocky stuff, even a few 'hills'

Any chance of a guide to this route, sounds interesting 😀

iain1775
    Free Member

Ticknall route is good
    Is also on the Trail guide on this site – search east midlands

Coleman's route also worth a ride, the road climb up to Hazelwood is a drag
    Drum Hill (after going under A38 is worth 20 minutes for a plauy around, there may be a few trails in there (depending on how active the locals have been in rebuilding them after the local resident knocks it all down)
    At Breadsall if you turn left at the church towards Morley and look for a bridleway at bottom of hill on your right you can take the new Sustrans Great Northern Greenway back to Derby rather than taking the road. It ends up at the same place

munkster
    Free Member

Anyone know (Coleman may if he's watching!) what book Coleman's route is from please?

Merlinman

Debyshire Guide by Banton and Spencer – well out of date now 😉

munkster
    Free Member

Ah, excellent, cheers. Just moved into Derby area from that London so fancied getting my eye in with local route options before getting up the road into that there Peak 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

monkster im away with work at moment but if you email me I can send you over that route and some others as memory map or google earth overlays when I get back
    I live in Derby so happy to help you out with route ideas

munkster
    Free Member

YHM Iain, cheers…

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

the road climb up to Hazelwood is a drag

Heh, it's not fun but I always find it even worse in the oppsite direction – up from Blackbrook, after coming off the Midshires Way down Longwalls Lane – which is worth a look too:

near top:

near bottom:

okay… flickr isn't playing. fill in your own mental images of an overgrown narrow top section and a rocky lower section

Ambergate is also fun 🙂

sem
    Free Member

Sorry to drag this one up again, but I e-mailed Iain asking for the memory map logs for Midlands routes. That may have gotten lost in a spam inbox (or ignored) but if anyone has these and could take the time to send to the e-mail in my profile, it would be greatly appreciated!

iain1775
    Free Member

oops sorry mate
    I have had to get a new computer and reinstall memory map. I have therefore lost all the route info I had on the old computer but will get something off to you over the weekend
    I have your email somewhere, tbh thought I had replyed to say if you fancied a blast out sometime…

sem
    Free Member

Iain,

Thanks for the offer and the routes — well received, and I've responded via e-mail.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Good routes in/near Derby?’ is closed to new replies.