Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Going back to riding on your own
  • RealMan
    Free Member

I don’t usually enjoy riding on my own, I sometimes get bored and always go slower then with other people. So I can’t remember the last time I rode on my own (not including short training rides).

However it’s the end of term, not many people are about, so yesterday I ended up riding on my own, and I did this.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Two-Bridges523213

And it was brilliant. Fantastic weather, fantastic views, didn’t get bored. Had a slowish (16mph) average speed, but I was hungover, and it is quite hilly, so I’ll let that go, especially as towards the end I was deep in the pain cave 😀

Really wasn’t expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. So if you’re like me, and you barely ever ride on your own, give it a go sometime, you might be surprised.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I ride on my own at least once a week. Group rides are nice socials but I find it equally nice to have the flexibility to explore that little path you’ve only just noticed and to get my head down and push myself without worrying about the group fragmenting.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yeah i went oout last night by myself as others had other commitments. Really enjoyed it even if i did stop and chat for far too long to a few peeps i met long the way.

iDave
    Free Member

95% of my riding is on my own, I think and look at things.

RealMan
    Free Member

95% of my riding is on my own

By choice?

ronp
    Free Member

I ride on my own all the time ……

….. but that’s cos I don’t have any friends!! 😥

Whitish
    Free Member

I’ve been doing a lot of riding on me lonesome jonesome recently and I’ve found it to be very different and interesting.

I did this film and thread because I’d found being on my own something a bit special.

[Apologies for the self-reference :wink:]

rewski
    Free Member

I get bored waiting at the top of the hills so prefer riding on my own 😉

edit: the real excuse is I have two young kids so take my rides when I can, no plans

trailmonkey

realman- might be out with yunki thurs if you fancy company ?

RealMan
    Free Member

Would love to, but unfortunately I’m off back home on Thursday morning. Cheers though, have a good one.

Struggling to decide whether or not to go out today, I’m still aching from yesterday though..

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Around 99% of my riding is alone. I like to go at my pace and enjoy the ride.

ourmaninthenorth

95% of my riding is on my own

Likewise. It’s a matter of circumstance and time. All driven by becoming a parent last year – I need to fit my riding round my responsibilities.

Unless anyone fancies a quick road spin for an hour at 6am before work..?

Solo
    Free Member

The clue is in my forum name.

😉

grum
    Free Member

I used to do it quite a bit but find I don’t enjoy it so much any more for some reason.

16mph average is slowish? Crikey, you wouldn’t enjoy riding with me! 😳

neninja
    Free Member

I enjoy riding with mates – last Friday we went over to the Lakes for a cracking weekend of riding and are off to the Dales this evening. Stuff like that simply wouldn’t be the same alone.

Sometimes though trying to organise them all is like herding cats and it’s easier to just go by myself.

Riding with friends certainly seems to hurt more as I rarely crash alone but a group ride rarely goes by with no-one wiping out (nothing like a bit of competition to make you push harder).

Mounty_73

I enjoy riding with others and groups, still do it, but I have gone back to solo riding during the week, it gives me time to think & clear my head.

Solo is peaceful, at your own pace, with your own company….a solo ride can quite often be just what the doctor ordered ! lol

epicsteve
    Free Member

+1

Pretty much the only time I’m not cycling on my own is the occasional roadie 25 miler with my wife.

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m always nervous that I’ll stack it big time and end up in the middle of nowhere needing help. Must have been that kindle book…. 😆

Also to get anywhere really for me (middle of Leicester/Derby/Nottingham triangle of boringness) takes a car and I am such a lazy git I just don’t do it very often.

Though I plan to do more in the peaks now I’ve got me Garmin 800 to plan the routes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I always ride on my own….other then racing I’ve never ridden sociably with more than 3 people.
    There’s only a couple of people I’d choose to ride with anyway 8)

Bernaard
    Free Member

Sometimes riding on your own is better. As you dont have to wait for people who say they will come, but then turn up late with a mechanical or flat tyre.

You know who you are 🙂

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I did it the opposite way round – been riding exclusively on my own for twenty years and had my first ‘sociable’ MTB rides this summer. Both ways are ace and each add their own special something to a good ride. The adrenaline-fuelled shouty conversation at the bottom of the big descents is quite funny :).

AdamW – I’m in Loughborough and there are enough local trails for an entertaining evening blast. Not Dark-Peak entertaining, but still worth riding. Give me a yell if you fancy a ride some time

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup.

Same here.

I don’t like to slow people down.. afterall, weekends are precious, the last thing I wanna be thinking on a ride is that I’m slowing down their fun.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m always nervous that I’ll stack it big time

I did, knocked myself out and severely fractured my clavicle, when I came round, I actually thought it was just dislocated so tried to pop it back in, I then rode 10 miles over the SDW home – needless to say I got sent to A&E and was banned from riding on my own for a while.

Zoolander
    Free Member

much prefer riding with others. I ride weekdays on my own and often take the scenic route back from work on my tod. I always look forward to the weekend ride with good mates more though.
    That said Im doing the london to brighton off road BHF ride on my own later this year – sometimes its best to test yourself on your own terms.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member

Yup.

Same here.

I don’t like to slow people down.. afterall, weekends are precious, the last thing I wanna be thinking on a ride is that I’m slowing down their fun.

That dont happen when you ride with me.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The trick is finding people who ride at the same tempo as you.Being left behind is just as bad as having to wait for someone.So is knowing that someone is struggling for stamina just as you start to warm up.Its worse riding ss as the pace is so even, up and down.
    I just can’t find many people willing to do 80k techy climbfests in 4 hours!

lipseal
    Free Member

I have trouble on the club rides keeping up, so I’m going back to riding on my own for a while. The problem being is I live in Southport and its flat as road kill, but there is a bit of single track along the beach that I like riding, so I’ll go out more and try to get my fitness up.

hammy7272
    Free Member

I ride on my own most of the time and really enjoy blowing away the office cobwebs built up during the day.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Going back to riding on your own’ is closed to new replies.