Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Glentress Blue Braking bumps
  • Monster101

[*]Out on the blue yesterday with my little boy (8). Came a cropper on the braking bumps on the "motorway" section. slid off the pedals and squashed his balls on the top tube. Cue tears and snaughteers. If anyone knows this section it is good singletrack for kids and no real need for braking

Does anyone thinks its a disgrace that we are getting ar$eholes on full suspension bikes/DH bikes braking like ****. The guys on the trail faeries do a great job on trail maintenance but come on, stop with the skidding!

Witnessed it at the last blue section yesterday as well, a group of guys mostly on santa cruz blurs and orange fives going past us at warp speed. Nearly everyone of them skidded coming into one of the berms with the trail being torn apart and ruining it for the beginners/kids.

Is is just me or should I get off my soapbox. In my opinion, they should be on the red or slow down if they cannot brake properly.

By the way I ride full sus like a loony on the blue/red/black and very rarely feel the need for skidding.

Alan

peachos
    Free Member

off your soapbox. braking bumps sometimes appear on a mountain bike trail.

Twin
    Free Member

Keep your feet firmly on the soapbox. The vast majority of trails are red or black graded, there are precious few blues for beginners/kids to get into the sport without thoughtless idiots tearing them apart to show how incredibly fast and skilful they are (on a novice trail???).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GaVgAs
    Free Member

Totally agree Monster101, Whinllaters also getting cut up badly with braking bumps,Irrespective of trail grading its just bad riding imho, and shows a poor understanding of the trails, and how a mountain bike should be ridden.

A police motorcycle instructor once said to me "brakes are for stopping,not for slowing down",and the same principles of reading the trail/road and finding the smoothest/faster line can also be used to avoid unnecessary braking.

This is where coaching and skills lessons have a big part to play in mountainbike centres and I know Cyclewise at Whinnlater,and all other training centres are keen to help riders out with things like this. 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We met a nine year old biking up the Burmah Road with his dad a few months back. Full of determination. He then rode the same descent we did. If your son is keen, he wont be put off.

Kit
    Free Member

I see more beginners at GT skidding than I do experienced riders.

Twin
    Free Member

Because they're beginners! Experienced riders should know better.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Witnessed it at the last blue section yesterday as well, a group of guys mostly on santa cruz blurs and orange fives going past us at warp speed

I hope you're not suggesting they may be on here?

Monster101

I agree once the tears and snaughters stopped, he rode the rest of the trail, blue velvet twice and jump park once then down to the hub. So big smiles eventually.

Its all about expectation. This was a groomed section of the trail, good views and nothing scary ahead except a slight dip. My little boy is on a Spesh Hard rock 20 with shitty forks and as he is the weight of nothing he gets bounced about a fair bit. He is learning though and I am gradually getting him correct body positioning. The problem is he is independent and wanted to go first on that bit of trail.

At the top of the flyover further down the blue, I watched a dad, decent bike etc ride down the flyover, their kids (3 of them) were braking badly skidding going down rather than using the fantastically well sculpted berm. No coaching from the Dad and they all stopped at the top of the bridge.

Skills training is essential in my opinion. formal course or good parent!

I dont agree with the point about beginners on good game etc, they simply cannot get enough speed up to cause those braking bumps and this is exacerbated with full sus. Sit at the side for 10 mins on a saturday and you will see most of the downhill gods making an ar$e of it.

Singletrack users skidding unskillfully nah! Bike radar folk maybe 😆

Kit
    Free Member

At the top of the flyover further down the blue, I watched a dad, decent bike etc ride down the flyover, their kids (3 of them) were braking badly skidding going down rather than using the fantastically well sculpted berm. No coaching from the Dad and they all stopped at the top of the bridge.

Maybe 1st time out away from the green route? That section can be intimidating to those who are not experienced. If they've never ridden anything as steep before, and they don't have the experience, even with some advice/coaching from the dad they'd probably still skid down it. That's what beginners trails are for – learning on. And learners will skid.

What gets me are the braking bumps on the red and black routes, as THAT is where riders should know better.

Cougar

I've never understood the need for 'experienced' riders to come hurtling past us at mach 1 like their heads are on fire, whilst we're pottering along uncertainly down the blue routes. If you're that bloody l33t, shouldn't you be on the red rather than tearing up the easy routes and looking at us like we're dog eggs?

I think we're missing the most important point here though, which is 'what the geoff are "snaughters"?!'

Monster101

He, He! Good scottish word for nasal excretions of the runny variety. Usually in conjunction with tears. Telling him to MTFU didnt work as the wee yin was clutching his nads. 😳

Trekster

which is 'what the geoff are "snaughters"?!'

= snotters

Totally agree with gavgas. ride with lots of kids and we use the "skids are for kids" mantra and explain to them what it means. We also practice cornering.

Just a shame most mags show people like Hans Rey and others and explian on how to "drift" tail out, foot down etc.

Some of the fault can also be directed at poor trailbuilding

eg Whinlatter. A lot of that North trail is unsustainable due to terrain and the use of fall line trails. ie it is too steep in places and will rode regardless of people dragging their brakes.
    Descenderbender at Mabie, anther example, is being upgraded atm. The bends have always been blind and 8-10yrs ago when they were built there was little or no understanding about how to build berms by the then trailbuilders who were all from varying backgrounds such as joiner, bike shop worker, retired fireman, banker etc.

rudedog
    Free Member

Braking bumps are just becoming a 'feature' of high traffic trail centers, you just have learn to live with them or ride somewhere else.

Resin42
    Free Member

Isn't it possible the break bumps, especially on blue trails, are down to less experienced riders? I know I used to skid a lot before I learned not to.

chickenman

I immediately felt guilty, then remembered I was out with kids and had missed Electric Blue out in favour of car retrieval from Buzzards Nest carpark.
    loads of "experienced" riders are still braking with rear brakes only locking up the back wheel; certainly folk on V braked bikes find it the only way to slow down.
    Anyone spot the Black Kite out getting its tea on the road back to Embra?
    Cool!

trail_rat
    Free Member

what makes you think they were experianced

i thought it was well known that glentress is full of folk with all the gear who feel out of their depth on the blue …..

Trekster

Resin42 – Member
    Isn't it possible the break bumps, especially on blue trails, are down to less experienced riders?

That is what BLUE trails are for, should maybe built a bit tougher ❓

mr_stru

"If you're that bloody l33t, shouldn't you be on the red rather than tearing up the easy routes and looking at us like we're dog eggs?"

Not to excuse the skidding or hammering past people which is just bad riding but I'm an 'experienced' rider and the 2nd half of the blue is my favourite bit at glentress. It's a lovely bit of riding.

BoardinBob

Do you think this kid cries at braking bumps?

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/147106/

druidh
    Free Member

Being knocked off your bike by another rider is one thing, but I don't think you can lay the blame of this incident on anyone else.

Monster101 – Member
    In my opinion, they should be on the red or slow down if they cannot brake properly.

A good message to pass on to your son, who was apparently going faster than he should have been?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If it were a minority of riders who didn't know how to brake, the brake bumps would not be an issue.

A police motorcycle instructor once said to me "brakes are for stopping,not for slowing down".

So what did he use to slow down? A good sense of humour?

thv3
    Free Member

Skidding is always going to mess up the trails so no one should be doing it full stop.

However, blue is not only for beginners although more experienced riders should of course be riding appropriately around less experienced riders.

At the end of the day we all just want to enjoy good trails whatever their grading.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Three fish, he's over simplified that statement slightly and it doesn't cross over to mountain bikes that simply but he'll be using a combination of forward planning and acceleration sense to get his speed right before the corners.

I have to agree, there does seem to be a greater number of riders who can't/don't brake properly. I don't think full sus is the cause but it does amplify the effect as it allows unskilled riders to hit things harder and faster and get away with it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A police motorcycle instructor once said to me "brakes are for stopping,not for slowing down".

So what did he use to slow down? A good sense of humour?

read the road and let off the throttle early.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Great general advice for a motorised cycle with a gearbox riding on tarmac, but essentially useless on a bicycle fitted with a freehub on a twisty dirt trail.

epicsteve
    Free Member

That works well and looks very impressive on fast A-roads, but not so well on twisty B-roads. I've been out with police riders a few times and once had to stop for a bit for one of them to catch-up after a very tight and twisty bit – despite me never exceeding the speed limit. I was on a 650cc touring bike and the police guy was on one of their Pans, and the only real difference is that I was using the brakes and the police guy tried to ride it just using engine braking.

Onzadog
    Free Member

TF, I'll agree, not a totally transferable set of skills, but also not totally useless. How many riders do we all know who could do with planning ahead more? Maybe some of us might even be honest enough to admit that we could do with looking further down the trail a bit more often. We might not have engine braking available but there's a lot of value to picking the right places to brake. Not just at the last moment before a corner but considering ground conditions and where we might be able to check speed most effectively.

cynic-al
    Free Member

lol al the trail riding gods."I've never locked my back wheel in my life".

trail_rat
    Free Member

what makes me laugh is folk that do not know entry/exit speeds for corners you watch them lean in – realise they aint making it at current speed/lean – rather than trust the tires they hit the brakes – the bike goes upright , skid ensues ….. all momentum and smoothness lost

ok we dont all get it right all the time but you see it loads when you come up behind folks

used to ride the local dh trails chainless – soon sorts that shit out , teaches you to ride smooth and flowing as otherwise you aint going to get to the bottom 😀

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its a sad world when people complain a trail is to bumpy for their mountain bikes.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Onzadog, I'm absolutely with you on the reading of the trail. I did road racing in cars when I was in my twenties and have a reasonably good idea of when to brake and when to let the engine/gearbox do the work. My point was that the "brakes aren't for slowing down" is simply untrue.

cynic-al, I don't know if I am one of those you refer to, but, in my eyes, it's just basic common sense that skidding the wheels is not a particularly efficient way to slow down. I sometimes skid my rear, either by locking with the brake or by drifting, but I don't pile into a corner with my rear brake jammed on thinking that I'm slowing down in the most efficient way.

rOcKeTdOg

Singlespeed_Shep – Member
    Its a sad world when people complain a trail is to bumpy for their mountain bikes

A good message to pass on to your son, who was apparently going faster than he should have be

what they said, i can't skid my brakes are so bad it's impossible to do

can someone teach people that the word is "brake" and not "break" please

bruneep

Does anyone thinks its a disgrace that we are getting ar$eholes on full suspension bikes/DH bikes braking like ****

good generalised sweeping statement there………. 🙄

So HT riders don't skid? TBH I've not seen many if any DH bikes at GT.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I ride at glentress quite a bit with my kids and have never thought of blaming other riders when any of my kids fall off. If they go too fast for the trail or make a mistake hopefully they learn from it and don't do it again.

What a strange spelling of snotters as well, are you posh?

br
    Free Member

Not sure where the 'motorway' section is, but the route from the Buzzard car park down to the Blue / Reb-Black split is designated Blue, irrelevent of who rides it.

Which section is the 'motorway'?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Motorway is the fast straight section that takes you to the bottom of a climb which in turn takes you to Blue Velvet, above the freeride area.

Northwind

Trekster – Member

"That is what BLUE trails are for, should maybe built a bit tougher"

Not really possible without a solid surface ie tarmac, concrete or stone pitching. Those trails are in amazingly good nick considering the abuse they get.

To be fair though, I think the wee man just learned a lesson about riding beyond his abilities, most people learn it sooner or later somewhere, he happened to learn it on braking bumps on the blue but if they'd not been there it would have happened somewhere else. You can't ride a trail expecting it to cosset you, or you'll get hurt.

br
    Free Member

Ok, I know now.

I was there with my kids last month, and did that section. Didn't notice any braking bumps – but then the reason people would brake there is that suddenly you are going quick – so panic braking does often equal braking bumps.

Its a Trail Centre, and there for EVERYONE whatever age/skill/bike.

adam5555

It is a mountain bike trail though a few small braking bumps are to be expected even on the blue and not necessarily caused by skids. There generally caused by braking, surprisingly. Skids do cut up the trails though and allow water erosion to worsen the trail.

Agree with the guys on big bikes hooning around but that section is a short cut back to the freeride area from spooky woods so is always going to be a bit like that.

GT is becoming a bit of a victim of it own success at the weekends. Far to many people for the amount of trails. For me its all the inexperienced riders/big groups not getting out of the way or stopping in the middle of the trails (general lacking trail etiquette). Tend to stay away from weekends at GT or go really early in the morning

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Blue Braking bumps’ is closed to new replies.