Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Glenshee downhill news
  • LD
    Free Member

Saw on Facebook last night, yes I do use it and I'm 34 and the reason I joined was to get Glenshee snow reports, that Glenshee are planning to open a trail/track from top of Cairnwell chair down bunny run ending up back at the cafe. I think they quoted 2.3 miles and the drop is about 250m. Opening early July. Anyone else heard any more about this or been up that way lately?

notlocal
    Free Member

I can confirm that Glenshee opened its track on the 1st July. However, due to high winds, no uplifts were possible on the chairlift. 🙄

I'm at work until Wedesday, so I'm hoping the weather improves just in time to pop up on Thursday. Other than a sign outside Tourist Info in Braemar, and a post on its FB page, Glenshee have done no real advertising to highlight the opening ❓ ❓ It seems a strange way to run a business. No photographs of the track yet either. If I manage to get up there before anyone else here, I'll snap some shots and post here.

Not entirely sure what type of track it is either, DH bike or more of a long travel trail bike isn't clear. Again I'll let you know (I'll be on a 140mm travel, Kona Dawg Deluxe).

Northwind

Cool, eager to hear more, hopefully they've done a proper job of it unlike the lecht… But the lack of promotion doesn't really inspire confidence in that I guess.

adamdv8
    Free Member

never heard any real negative reports of the Lecht to date, but never heard that many. Was contemplating going soon, so whats it like, worth a visit? It would be great if Glenshee can make a good job of it.

jemima
    Free Member

I fear the Glenshee effort is going to be a repeat of the Lecht – it too opened with barely a whimper of marketing. 250m over 2.3 miles is not really an inspiring gradient and the fact that it follows the 'bunny run' doesn't make it sound very exciting either.

Im my opinion the Lecht have missed a trick. Far too much traversing on smooth double-track and nothing technical to speak about really. I hope Glenshee have done better. Might head up in a couple of weekends time for a looksie…

Would appreciate seeing pictures if anyone visits soon.

notlocal
    Free Member

Just a quick update….

I've spoken to one of the Directors at Glenshee, and photographs will be taken. I suggested posting pics here, and on bikeradar, to generate some interest. They will also post on their FB page.

As for cost, it's £15 for a day ticket. I'll wait to sample the track before I pass judgement on its value for money.HTH

notlocal
    Free Member

jemima: the gradient works out as 1:6. Not hugely steep, but still worth a blast. It should be adequate to keep someone shuffling along without too much pedalling. Hopefully with some interest along the way 😉 nice part of the world too.

jemima
    Free Member

2.3 miles = 3701.5 m (ish)

3701/250 = 14.8 so surely a grad of about 1:15? Which is pretty shallow. 1:6 would be nice! Its a shame as if I recall correctly Glenshee has some pretty steep hillsides. Having said that, if designed well I'm sure it could be a good blast. I just don't really like the tame double track of the Lecht with no features to speak of and hope its not all like that. Certainly agree its a nice part of the world tho :o) And even if its pretty tame £15 is pretty good value for a day's uplift. Should make a nice day out.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I'm surprised it's 2.3 miles? Seems like 2.3km would be more likely? That would give it a 10% gradient. The longest ski run (from Glas Maol) is only 2km.

Anyway, might get up there for a ride soon and will definitely take some pics.

Hopefully the uplift will work better than the "stop to get on or off" system at the Lecht.

notlocal
    Free Member

Maths FAIL 😳
    I was wondering about the use of mixed Imperial/Metric units.

To be honest, anything to bring bikers up here has to be a good thing. Now all Braemar has to do is stay open for food after 5pm. 🙄
    …..and have a campsite….bikeshop….waymarked trails…..something other than big epic rides for families(while Mum or Dad are off on the big stuff).

amatuer

I can't believe the Cairnwell chair can actually carry a bike. I was there skiing during the winter and it's a hairy ride on a 1960's chair. Doubt if you'll need a 140mm travel bike to get down the Bunny Run either. (Except maybe to hop over the burn that's half way down the slope)

notlocal
    Free Member

amatuer: You're right about the chairlift 😯 The wind has been too strong to uplift I believe, and not being Aviemore, Glenshee didn't get any European financing to build a funicular. 😉

As for the bike, it's the only one I own 😥 I haven't managed to get up the hill to look yet, but one of the Directors was speaking of adding interest to the track where they could (within the constraints placed upon them). Fingers crossed.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well, went up tuesday.

Report here

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Glenshee downhill news’ is closed to new replies.