Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Gisburn forest sheet ice
  • joao3v16
    Free Member

You don’t know what irony is, do you Baldrick?

And I’m not even Americanish. Or Jagger-lipped Canadian warbler Alanis Morissette.

martyn92
    Free Member

Any news on the ice there?

martinhutch

Yep, I’m interested too if anyone’s been out today. Obviously I reserve the right to fling abuse at you if weather conditions have changed before I get there…

Gribs

Not been but it’s warmish today and was yesterday in Skipton so I’d guess most will have melted by now.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Still Icy in my yard in Stacksteads…..but that’s not really near Gisburn so not much help really.

stumpyjon

Conditions update: much of the snow has gone. Trails and fire roads still have a lot of frozen, compacted snow. Be very cautious if visiting to bike.

From the Gisburn Facebook page.

kbrpro
    Free Member

I’ve been up there today. Much as the report says really. The fire roads are where it’s bad generally. I managed the whole of the red route without much issue, even the boardwalks and hully gully. Anyway it’s good practise for balance.

martinhutch

Sounds like the kids would not appreciate a run around the blue tomorrow then…

grim168
    Free Member

Was up there this morning and there is still plenty of ice but most is rideable with care.I rode up to the top but missed out hully gully. Feet were bloody freezing though.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

cheers thanks for the updates, keep em coming! someone tell me when the ice has fully gone cheers 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

Lol Chris I’m afraid these strange peeps on ere mite lie…..do people on ere even know who they a

elaineanne
    Free Member

Are

gingerss
    Free Member

Chris, it might be best to wait until May or June, just in case. There may still be some risk of rain which you should be warned might make your experience marginally less enjoyable.

Thinking about it, best to stay in or stick to the skate park. 😉

Edit: thinking about it the skate park might be icy…

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

lol well my mate is going up today so ill let you know what he says 🙂

martinhutch

Anyone been down there today? Getting to the stage of half-term where locking kids in the shed with a large pack of haribos is looking appealing.

stumpyjon

Apparently about 20% of the trails are still icy although the fire roads are still not good.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/24782136080/

kbrpro
    Free Member

Oh may god, you guy’s don’t half spend alot of time talking about something being rideable or not. If you’ve got a plan to go out riding then do it. If the conditions are bad prepare well and take your time. You’re not going to ride ‘rad’ on a winters day but you’ll sure feel like you’ve achieved something once you get round nice and steady.

Notes for riding in winter conditions:

If it’s crunchy, it’s grippy

If it’s silent, it’s slippy so gently pedal (ie choose a really high gear so if the wheel does slip your feet don’t do a full rotation on the pedals). This will allow you to keep pedalling at a steady rate and gives you time to find traction.

Stay confident (or get confident). You’ll learn quickly about balance and the sam hill method of cornering when your slipping and sliding (ie foot out speedway style-you don’t have todo this but it’s good).

Have fun…and a warm brew out of a flask when you get back to the carpark.

Happy Cycling

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

from what we saw m8 it wasent even worth it and because we was with a new rider we defo not gonna try lol maby in a bob sleigh with a timer see who can get round the fastest lol

elaineanne
    Free Member

oooooh…. scroll down to ‘funkyduncs reply’……see this is wot you get by asking a simple question….

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whinlatter-conditions-for-riding-this-weekend

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Elaine – I’ll have you know I wasn’t the only person handing out precautionary advice to fellow trail warriors following this enlightening thread 🙂

stumpyjon

While we’re on the subject of Gisburn trails, advance warning (for Monday) of trail closures through the quarry. More info here.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ok thanks, anyone know if the ice has gone up there yet? thinking of trying again sunday?

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Gisburn forest sheet ice’ is closed to new replies.