Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • giant anthem opinions
  • parisroubaix

wanting a really light, 100m travel race/fast trail bike. Was thinking of a turner flux but cant see it meeting the really light criteria. Has anyone got a carbon anthem they can give me feedback on?
    many thanks

flow
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden a carbon one, but my brother had an 09 Anthem X3 and it was faaaaaast.

transapp
    Free Member

Carbons are good, but I think they are only a small amount lighter than the aluminium ones?
    I’ve got an X1, put on some 100-130mm forks, and some riser bars (not all Anthems come with risers) and it’s an absolute joy. Over a short, XC course with limited rough bits I’d race a carbon hardtail type thing, but for all day hacks, enduro racing, trail centres and bit of lunacy, it’s superb

sslowpace
    Free Member

I love my carbon anthem. 90mm older type with 100mm forks to slightly slacken the head angle a smidge. Use it for everything these days. Weight difference was about 300g, but that is a bonus to the increased stiffness and the carbons ability to dampen vibration.

Love it.

mtbfix

I have an alu one and it is flipin’ ace. Had a long loan of the older carbon one and it was the fastest bike I have ever ridden.

Only thing I’d say against it is the multitude of tiny bearings that seem to have a 1 year lifespan. Advantage of the Flux is grease ports to keep things smoother for longer. That said, for the price difference you could replace the bearings for years on the Anthem and still be quids in.

parisroubaix

Thanks guys- the bearing issue is one I’d heard of, but as you say, price difference is large esp with the offers at the moment

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Got an x2 2 weeks ago, it encourages you to go very fast, and is very fast. Not ridden any other FS ‘race’ bikes to compare against but its as quick as my Klein Attitude hardtail, but better on climbs and decents. In fact I’m amazed by the suspension. I thought I would miss 130 mm of travel, but its just as good, only at very high speed bumpy terrain does the suspension start to be hard.

Great trail bike and race bike.

As above I think the plastic version is only very slightly lighter than the metal one…. which is pretty much lighter than most FS frames.

rkk01
    Free Member

Get yourself the alloy one. Treat yourself to a holiday with the change over the placcy one!!!

I’ve got at X3. Even with the less than top $ components it’s still blwdy quick

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Had my 09 Anthem X for, oh, a couple of years (funnily enough) and it’s superb. As previously suggested (here and other places) stick wider risers, short stem, 120mm forks and a solid wheelset on and it’ll do most everything. Great fun, fast and not that heavy at all. Highly recommended.

vrapan
    Free Member

Go for it have had one for almost two years now. Keep it the way it comes if you just want to race it off you want to do more do as I did stick wider risers and a shorter stem and put a 120mm rebas get a nice pair of wheels and enjoy. Just finished the 100 miles of the south downs with it was pure fun 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘giant anthem opinions’ is closed to new replies.