• This topic has 34 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by tsr.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Genesis Altitude 30 – anyone have one?
  • cinnamon_girl

Just really wanting to hear what people think of this. In particular has it replaced a hardtail and, if so, what type?

Geometry wise, how does it compare with other hardtails?

Thank you so much!

james-o
    Free Member

ok in the absence of other feedback, geometry wise it’s not as twitchy as some and suits 120mm forks, + or – a bit. a bit stiffer in the main frame than some, to suit longer forks / shorter stems, but proportional tube dims vary the ride to suit frame size.
    lowish, longish, goes well when you put the effort in, feels quite snappy around the bb to me for a steel bike but there’s a bit of spring and flex in the corners etc still. rewards a bit of effort, not the best ‘dawdler’.

i’d put it up against anything else out there but whether it suits you depends on what you want from the bike. i prefer it to my old steel frame, a RM Blizzard, as it tracks better and i can push it a bit more with the qeometry and tubes as they are.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Not sure an iO is a complete comparison to an Altitude but the geometry isn’t miles apart and I’ve actually got a bouncy fork on mine now.

I can second James’s comments – it’s definitely a bike that rewards a firm hand – very chuckable, I find myself hopping and popping this thing more than anything else I’ve owned.

It feels quite soft at the backend, not overly so as it still feels nice and stiff under power, but in terms of hit taking it’s very forgiving. Since fitting a fork, I’m able to hold my own with full sussers as it’s light enough to just jump the nasties and when you do go wrong it’s got that classic steel forgiving nature.

There’s something Joe Murray Kona about it. Long, low, light, forgiving and fast!

Trekster

sounds like a substitute for my old Bontrager then?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies! It sounds as though it’s more suited to a proper rider rather than my wuss riding style. I would have to put a 100mm fork on it which possibly is a little too short then.

I do like steel though, just feels right.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Dunno about the Bonty but I really like the “Steel as you remember it” feel of it, especially when so many popular steel frames are going a bit more hardcore.

I’d buy an Altitude in a heartbeat given the funds and permission to increase bike quota.

GaryLake
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – 100mm fork should be fine, geometry isn’t wildly different to the iO I have and I’m running a 100mm fox on that and it’s great!

I wouldn’t worry about being a wuss rider either. Everyone who’s had a go on my iO comments on it’s ability to bring out that rider in you, comments along the lines of “you just want to go and mash the hell out if it” are common – give one a go if you can! Hand on heart, I believe Genesis are getting the Altitude range very right at the moment!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bored of the Litespeed already?

You get through more bikes than Mama Dirt I reckon, but you just keep quiet about it……

😉

cinnamon_girl

Mr Poddy – how dare you!! The Litespeed is for life but am thinking of selling something else 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, so you have the Juliana and a SS. The SS is virtually brand new and there’s no point selling a FS bike and having 3 hardtails, is there?

Whatever it is, if you buy it in bits please let me build it for you.
    🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What you need is an Orange Diva or a Titus Motolite IMO…….
    🙂

cinnamon_girl

PP – why is there no point in selling an FS bike? My riding is evolving 😯 In other words I’m falling off more and more and I’m just not convinced I need an FS now. To be honest, I miss having a steel hardtail with gears.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just admit it. You have nothing better do do and want a new bike. You don’t NEED it, you just want it. You’re addicted. Most of us are. Just admit it and be happy….
    It’s better out than in.
    😀

Most of the bits off the Juliana would fit any new frame, and there’s nowt wrong with any of it. Flog the frame, keep the lovely bits, build a new bike for probably the same price as you’d get for the Juliana. Bingo!

All you need is a tame mechanic to do the spannering for cheap.
    Let me see now? Who do we know who likes building bikes as much as riding them, and has a fully equipped workshop…..
    Hmmmmm….?
    😉

Adam@Homers
    Free Member

If you’re in the northwest and you want to try one out, we’ve got a demo 17.5 in at the mo.

alpin
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl , look at a sanderson. 100mm fork geo. very ‘steel feel’.

very good xc bike that can be built up a little tougher and still take a beating.

bent_udder
    Free Member

To add to the 100 / 120mm fork side of things. I’ve had an Io (bought the frame only) for a couple of years now. Best measurement is axle – crown, as my original MX Pros at 100mm were 15-20mm longer than the rebas that are now on it. I changed the Rebas to 115mm last night, and will be off on a night ride this evening with them. The axle – crown is the same as the original MX Pros, so it should ride very similarly.

With the Mx Pros, it’s very happy downhill, feels like you can ride over most things, and very chuckable. with the 100mm rebas, it feels a lot more racy and twitchy, but enormous fun.

As said above, if the Alpine is anything like the Io’s geometry, it should be a very fun bike. I’m riding the 16″ and am 5’7″ tall, if that helps with sizing.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I run my iO at 100mm and my Altitude 30 at 115mm. The Altitude is a hoot. I took it to CyB a few weeks ago and it was an absolute blast, very confidence inspiring and chuckable. I found myself going quicker than I ever did on my ETS-X.

cinnamon_girl

PP – I know I’m getting really anal, it’s only a bike after all, but I just don’t get anything out of riding the Juliana anymore 🙁

Everyone else – thanks for replies and suggestions. Biggest problem will be sizing as usual.

Not rushing into anythng but will also check out that Sanderson as well as Cotic Soul, Pipedream Sirius, Voodoo Bizango.

Adam – thanks but am in the sunny South!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sandersons are looooong…..And 100mm travel only
    Have a look at a Kenisis Decade. I saw a green one at Bikefest – Stunning frame!

cinnamon_girl

Would use existing Fox’s which are 100mm.

Mister-P
    Free Member

How south are you?

cinnamon_girl

Mister P – Chilterns forum ride this Sunday but often Swinley Forest area.

Won’t be rushing into anything, will take the FS on holiday and see how we get on together.

PP – would only sell frame and shock. The RP23 is only a year old and has hardly seen any use. You can’t get me off my mid-life crisis bike oh no 🙄

alpin
    Free Member

dibs on shock, please 😉

IdleJon

Advice from existing owners please.

AT 5ft11″, 32″ inside leg, which frame size? I seem to be on the cusp of both 17.5″ and 19″ but they have loooooong top tubes for their size. (24″ for the 19″ frame, but very short stem)

What size do you ride?

(I’ve just ordered an Altitude 20 through c2w, in 19″ as the 17.5″ is out of stock.)

Mister-P
    Free Member

5ft 10 with a 31 inside leg and I ride a 17.5″ frame. I tried a 19 and it was too long for me, I felt too stretched out on it.

cinnamon_girl

OK, so would you say that these have a long top tube then, similar to Inbreds for example?

Chances are a 16″ would be too big 🙁

Mister-P
    Free Member

You are only a wee one then CG? Shame as I was going to say you could try mine.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Hehe, I’m 5’10” and wanted a 19″ but the plum clearance was far too close for comfort so had to take a 17.5. I like them long with a short stem though…

cinnamon_girl

Why thank you Mister P 😀

Am only average female height but with long top tubes it does make it difficult. Us girlies tend to have short bodies but with long arms and legs.

My Inbred is a 14″ but has a massive amount of seatpost showing, other bikes are 16″ or small/medium.

zaskar
    Free Member

I wanted a 853 altitude and was told it was sold out for the year? 🙁

If you can get one-go for it C.girl.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The frames sold out very quickly but there are still complete bikes about.

IdleJon

Thanks Mr P and GaryLake.

I like long bikes, short stems but these frames seem long even compared to my ancient Klein. Will have to try it for size when it turns up in the shop later in the week.

james-o
    Free Member

“.. put a 100mm fork on it which possibly is a little too short then”

nah, i often ride mine at 100mm in the chilterns, don’t need a lot more. more easily hopped with short forks. our bikes work as well at 100mm as 130mm. i ride at 100mm more than 130mm, but then i do take the Alpitude at 120-140mm if it’s wales/peak type riding.

IdleJon

Woohoo. Picked up my Altitude 20 earlier today. Had time for an hours ride around local trails and am very pleased.

Despite my worries about the size, the 19″ fits me well – or rather it will when I take some spacers from under the stem.

My local trails involve a 600ft climb and then choices of rocky xc back down, or a few DH tracks. I opted for 2 of the less jumpy DH tracks and it handled beautifully.

It’s a bit heavier than I’d hope for an £1100 bike, the wheels will get changed for something a bit better, and over time the stem, bars and seatpost will be changed because they look horribly cheap.

My only complaints are that the lock-on grips seemed a bit thin. Seems pointless complaining so ignore that.

tsr
    Free Member

CG – I can highly recommend the Charge Duster. Massive improvement over my previous 456.

Feels both sprightly and forgiving compared to the 456.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Altitude 30 – anyone have one?’ is closed to new replies.