Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garburn (and other Lakes routes)
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Which way round is best for Garburn? was thinking of clockwise as i’d heard its been “sanitised” – but not been to Lakes for about 10 years

Got a week in Ambleside for riding (have car) – so suggest your best routes

Ta

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Both are great fun, Troutbeck to Kentmere has a more rideable climb (some people have done it!) with a shorter but more mental downhill. Kentmere to Troutbeck has a push up but a much longer and IMO better fun downhill. You can always make a day of it and do it both ways which I’ve done before.

The VG book is excellent for routes or try here ridethelakes.com

If you give me your email I’ll send you a few over.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

clockwise every time. The Troutbeck side climb is just about doable with luck, and the Kentmere downhill is hectic and exciting/scary. Pushing up the Kentmere side is grim, and I never intend to do it again 🙁 [after a dozen or so goes]

mrsflash
    Free Member

What simon said.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+ 1 clockwise but both ways have pros and cons.

I did it clockwise the other day and the climb was almost rideable, as said, even with some snow and ice near the top. Downhill into Kentmere is over quickly though, but good fun. Downhill into Troutbeck the other way seems to flow better though, and lasts longer.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Downhill into Troutbeck the other way seems to flow better though, and lasts longer.

agreed, but since they sanitised it (2003 ?), a lot of the former fun is missing, whereas as the Kentmere downhill is (for me at least) challenging 🙂

Nick

Only ever done it anti clockwise, hated the climb to the top of Garburn but the ride into Kentmere from Ings was really nice and the descent from Garburn was excellent, would love to try it the other way sometime.

mt
    Free Member

I’ll take both ways, pass me coat.

Seriously both are good, look were you want to go first. Ambleside to Wilfs cafe at Staveley with Garburn in the morning is my favorite. I can eat loads then without having to worry about regurgatation.

SolidAir

anticlockwise – to include the descent from Robin Lane and Jenkin Crag into Ambleside and compulsory post ride beverage.

Sanny
    Free Member

Up Garburn from Troutbeck. When it levels off, following the obvious trail accross the tops to the summit of High Street. Cut across and down the techy rocky trail that takes you to the top of Nan Bield. Drop down Nan Bield then return via Borrans and Jenkins Crag. Lovely. Not entirely all on bridleway but still lovely.

Anything round Loughrigg. Just follow your nose over the tops. Lots of cracking little trails to be ridden and the grass singletrack that closely follows the main walker path down to Rydal water is particularly nice.

Cheers

Sanny

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garburn (and other Lakes routes)’ is closed to new replies.