Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Freezing home grown vegetables?
  • Bunnyhop

My friend and I couldn’t decide what to do with spinach.
    Do I just blanche it like other veggies? It does contain lots of water, so didn’t ssem the correct way.

Stoner
    Free Member

I cook it fully, give it a gentle press to squeeze out most surplus water, and then freeze it in blocks (large ice cube tray) for putting in curries in the last few minutes to defrost and heat through.

Nick

remove chunky stalks, blanch for a couple of secs in boiling water, then immediately rinse with cold water then dry/press as much water out as possible

it’s still going to be a bit of a soggy mess though, I would eat as much as you can and maybe make things with it and then freeze those (spinach and ricotta ravioli?)

Bunnyhop

Thanks chaps.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

what stoner said really.
    once you freeze spinach, the only thing you can really do with it is stick it in curry as it not so much wilts as mushes down when defrosted. cook it first and then all you need do is chuck a lump of it into the curry a minute or three before you’re ready to serve it up.

mrsflash
    Free Member

mmmm spinach. raw in salad & sandwiches. spinach, ham & mayo sarnie = yummy.

Bunnyhop

I agree mrsflash, us anemic people need it badly.
    We’ve been eating spinach like it’s going out of fashion. Just got a little too much now.
    All friends and family have been given bags of salad with the baby spinach leaves in.
    Just saw at the veg shop today it’s on sale at £1.49 per bag.

Stoner
    Free Member

This is a great book I picked up at the Three Counties show a few years ago.
    An A4, rubbish printed paper back book, but packed with home preservation (drying, salting, freezing, preserving and potting) recipes and tips.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Sorry to break it to you but the whole iron/spinach thing is a myth. That’s not to say that you should stop eating it but if you want to treat anemia then it won’t help, infact it’s close to useless, so have a steak instead.

mrsflash
    Free Member

I just like it cos it’s yummy. 😀

Bunnyhop

Wow gonefishin- so the popeye myth is rubbish?

Thanks Stoner. Isn’t ‘pickling’ a wonderful word?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

so have a steak instead

Washed down with a pint of Guiness for good measure.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Washed down with a pint of Guiness for good measure.

The Guinness thing is also a bit of a myth, red wine is the best alcoholic drink for iron iirc.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Has anybody tried freezing courgettes? We are soon going to have loads.

ssboggy

Froze courgettes last year, Mrs ssboggy likes them roasted, i think they go mushy though. Mind you i don’t like them when they have’nt been frozen!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m limbering up for a very courgettey month or so. Having first one for dinner tonight actually – in an omelette.

Followed by crumble with our blackcurrants in. Yum.

As for spinach, have frozen it for baby, but not bothered for ourselves. Just tried to put it in as many dinners as poss while fresh and before it bolts.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Freezing home grown vegetables?’ is closed to new replies.