Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Frame Paint Jobs
  • andydicko
    Free Member

Hi Folks,

My Trek OCLV is in need of a makeover, I've heard argos do a good job anyone got any recommendations (its Carbon Fibre)?

I live in Wakefield

Ta

Rochey
    Free Member

You must have been reading my mind, I was wanting to ask the same question.

Lets see what happens.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Triple S, expensive but reassuringly so.

andydicko
    Free Member

Their mainly powder coaters though, I've been quoted £350 by argos cycles but i thought that was a bit steep

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If you go through Argos, it will still be under Warrenty with Trek,After all OCLVs have a lifetime guarrantee..

andydicko
    Free Member

Yeah I thought that

crazy-legs

Argos have done two very good resprays for me. One a plain one-colour under warranty (on behalf of the manufacturer, known problem with peeling paint), the other a repair job of welding in new seatstays and a two-tone/fade respray on a steel road frame.

Excellent service and quick turnaround too.

Northwind

Go with powdercoat, done right it's tougher than most painted finishes, and certainly more durable than an Argos job (which will, fwiw, be absolutely beautiful, they produce excellent work but their materials are chosen for quality of finish and appearance, not for durability.) There are some paint finishes which are more durable and element-proof than powdercoat- speak to Hendersons in Edinburgh- but they tend not to be as pretty. Up to you what's important really.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

i just got my frame back from hendersons this evening.
    lovely finish to it, and should be more durable than the argos job my dad's bike has.

footstomper
    Free Member

Frame spray

I used this guy for my road frame and he did a very good job. Plus his prices are pretty reasonable.

pinches
    Free Member

powder coating carbon?

i'm not sure if carbon is even compatible with the process of powder coating, remember carbon frames are auto-clave baked under pressure, and powder coating needs to be baked to make it go hard :S

to be honest, the work involved to paint a carbon frame, i don't think £350 is massively overpriced

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Argos do do a wonderful job. Expensive if you just look at the price, but I had My Inbred done about 18 months ago and the paint is still virtually as new. I can't see it needing to be touched for another 4-5 years at the very least. And seeing as I don't intend to sell it, that seems like good value to me. You get what you pay for, and all that!

Northwind

Arr, ignore me completely, I didn't realise it was carbon! Completely useless post 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've just had some lovely powder coating done by ESP in Glasgow.

grantway
    Free Member

Intresting to know Carbon painted frames need a different process

alanf
    Free Member

IIRC a current is passed through the frame which attracks the powder onto it (so that's why it probably wouldn't work with carbon frames not withstanding then having to bake the frame too) then its baked to cure the powder.

Anyway, I digress.
    I have a mate who is a painter. He hasn't done any cycle frames, but he paints scooters (Lambretta/Vespa) and does motorcycle race paints and air brushing. Don't know whether he would be interested in doing it but I can ask him if you like, oh and he works in Barnsley which is pretty close to Wakey.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Frame Paint Jobs’ is closed to new replies.