Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Fox stantions wear.
  • hora
    Free Member

#
    salad_dodger – Member

So you automatically void the Fox warranty if you use them in a 24 hour race?!
    Posted 3 months ago # Report-Post
    #
    richc – Member

No, you just need to stop mid race for a service

Class. So they are really tightening up their service schedule to cover themselves for a brilliant/yet fragile product?

Hairychested
    Free Member

Is using Manitou Prep M greae a good or a bad idea? Why?

Drillski
    Free Member

Am now well on the way to a third set of uppers! Will wear the feckers out and go RS in future! Would not spend another penny on Fox’s.
    I have been METICULOUSLY FASTIDIOUS in following and exceeding Fox’s guidance on maintainanice and still it happens. The seals just don’t seal!

Is it any coincidence that Giant now spec RS SID’s on their top of the line Anthems now?

I think though perhaps it is partly the british weather, but that makes the unfit for use, therefore sale, here.

Mate has just bought an 09 anthem 2 with RL100’s, I warned him, so good luck to him. 2 months in, and wear has started, just visible on left leg as discussed in previous post.

Fox warrantied my first set after 8 months after pressure from my LBS, but bob hope after that. Perhaps we, as the Singletrack Massif, could all email “WatchDog” together? Who knows, could make for an interesting bit of filming. Does any one KNow If Nicky Campbell is an MTB’er??

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

This happened on my 2003 Vanillas. IMO it is a design fault in the design and material that the bushing is made of and how it is wrapped and pressed into the leg. In my forks the bushings simply were not flush.

Really the bushing should wear out and not the stanchion.

feltmountain
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

The issue is IMO that most fox forks have a cartridge damper and only 15 ml of oil in one side as a result. this is insufficient oil to splash lube the top bush on that side.

Inverting the bike after each ride allows this lube to get to the top bush.

I believe a 15 hr service interval is totally unrealistic and is put in the spec purely to prevent warrenty claims.

The older set of vanillas I got ( pre worn for pennies) I simply put 100 ml of oil in the non damper side. No alteration to function ( maybe a bit of ramp up from air compression in the dead space) and well lubricated top bush.

The only answers are to either follow the fox maintenance instructions closely, try over filling with oil as I have done, buy open bath forks which don’t have this issue

This is My experience too. There is just not enough oil in the non damper side leg. If a seal on this leg starts to leak oil (even over just one long ride) there isnt enough oil left to in the leg to stop the bushing damaging the stanchion. So unless you stop riding as soon as you notice the leak and walk the rest of the way your going to damage your fork. Putting more than the recommended amount of oil ruins the action of the fork for me. If fox designed it to run more oil in the first place this would less of a problem. The single piece OEM Fox Fork seals are rubbish too! Best use a seal and a wiper, Enduro or Rock Shock seals are much better.

giantjason
    Free Member

Has anyone heard this happen to Magura fork stanchions?

Carbis

Wife wants an Orange 5 Pro but I’m starting to worry about the suitability of Fox forks to the UK environment and hence wonder if it’s worth getting a bike where there is a known weakness in a main component.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Has anyone heard this happen to Magura fork stanchions?

No.

Wife wants an Orange 5 Pro but I’m starting to worry about the suitability of Fox forks to the UK environment and hence wonder if it’s worth getting a bike where there is a known weakness in a main component.

Get them swapped out at the shop.

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Fox stantions wear.’ is closed to new replies.