Home Forums Bike Forum Fox 36 Talas to Van conversion

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fox 36 Talas to Van conversion
  • crundi
    Free Member

Hi,

has anyone converted a 2011 Fox 36 Talas RLC to a Fox 36 Van? Am I right in thinking this would give me Rebound, Lock-out, Compression and Pre-load options? Will this setup improve small bump performance over my current SKF sealed (non Kash) fork?

cheers,
    Crundi

crundi
    Free Member

(just read it back – sorry for all the questions)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Can’t do it (different csu).Well you can but it’ll cost you more than a new fork.

crundi
    Free Member

Just spoke to Mojo, they can do it for £100 parts plus £100 labour. They said if I “convert the fork to vanilla you won’t be able to return to a Talas/Float system without changing the CSU because the spring will mark the surface inside”.

Anyone done this?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I sit corrected :D

crundi
    Free Member

I’m wondering, if the CSU gets ‘marked’ will it start creaking, I’ve read a few posts from other Fox 36 users complaining about it.

crundi
    Free Member

… Is this something I could be doing myself or is it a job for MoJo/TF Tuned only?

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes you can do it yourself if you’re competent mechanic, I can supply you parts or carry the work out for you too, cheaper than you’ve been quoted :D
    Mail me for further details

cb
    Free Member

Why not sell and buy what you want – surely the Van is cheaper to buy?

crundi
    Free Member

Fair point cb, although my lowers are in white and thats not common for a set of Vans.

Quote me happy Loco!!!

iang2jones
    Free Member

As Loco said, its straight forward. The kit is really just a plunger, spring and pre-load cap. Make sure u de-pressurise your TALAS cart before removing it. I converted my 36 TALAS’s a few years ago to VANs, one of the best things I ever did. It improved small bump and overall performance no end.

crundi
    Free Member

Thanks Lang2jones. I’ve replaced seals and lower leg oil, but thats as far as I’ve gone with taking the fork apart. I read that I need a special tool to decompress the ‘cart’ and a different ‘buffer’ for the spring? Is it really just straight forward?

iang2jones
    Free Member

I think the newer version of TALAS did not have a IFP in the ‘cart’, so u do not have de-pressure it. If you do have to, its no real different to just letting air out of your forks. I converted my in about 30 mins. Tools I used from memory were a socket set for the pre-load cap, a spanner for lower leg bolt, and a screw driver to let air out and fit plunger. From memory there is a circlip as well. Have a search on MTBR, for instructions if needed. A few people have done it before, or if not send them to LOCO etc. I’m about 11 stone and went for the medium spring.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36 Talas to Van conversion’ is closed to new replies.