Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fort William routes – guide book?
  • alp_girl
    Free Member

I think someone on here recommended a book with routes from/around Fort William a few months back, but clearly I'm not good at searching the forum, I can't find the post!

Can anyone help please…

thank you 🙂

Mounty_73

Not sure if this is one you are asking about, I cant find my copy, but I visit Fort William every year and I have done a lot of riding up there, so I know a lot of trails in the area.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scotland-Mountain-Biking-Wild-Trails/dp/1906148104/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282810485&sr=8-15

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

TBH there's not many routes from Ft William, you can do the Nevis Range stuff to your hearts content but actual routes are a bit thin on the ground. One decent ride would be from the West end car park, straight over the roundabout & up the hill (Achintore Road) basically follow this to the Mamore Road & on to Kinlochleven (where you could do the Ciaran Path) or if your'e feeling up to it head past the Mamore Hotel & on to Luibeilt then come down Glen Nevis but thats boggy at the top & pushy at the bottom. Myself I'd come back along the Mamore road & join the WHW back to Glen Nevis.

alp_girl
    Free Member

Thank you, Mounty, that is indeed the book I remember from the other thread! Are the routes you ride out of that book then or just ones you made up yourself when you're up there?

esselgruntfuttock, thanks for the route suggestion – I'll check it out on a map!

Mounty_73

I have friends up in Fort William, so I get to ride with a few locals, so I dont really remember the routes, I just get to ride them. 🙂

It depends on what kind of routes/trails you are looking for, natural or the usual way marked stuff, most of which can be found here;

http://www.ridefortwilliam.co.uk/

My advice would be get an OS, along with the book and just go off and explore. Also pop into offbeat bikes in the high street for some local knowledge.

If you travel a bit further up north, then visit Laggan Wolftrax, worth the drive in my opinion, one of my fav centres.

Hope this helps 🙂

NickScots
    Free Member

The Shop in Fort William sells a wee topoguide witha few routes on OS maps. £4 I think.

Nick

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mounty's got the bestest idea, map/explore!

alp_girl
    Free Member

Plan is to ride both "man made" and natural – thanks for the tip with the bike shop!! I'll get a map and the book, too.

How far is it to Laggan?

NickScots
    Free Member

Laggan – out of GT, K'treee blacks and reds it's a close 2nd to Golspie. It's about 35mins from the Fort. Do Upper red, lower red, latte, then lower red again. If Comrie Croft was three times longer……..

I have found those maps – they have extensive written descriptions and os maps, A5 size I got them at nevis range but they are in the shop – OFF BEAT BIKES – in the Fort.

Have fun

NickScots
    Free Member

WHW from Bridge of Orchy Hotel to Glencoe Ski centre and return is a grt all weather route with sweet climbs and descents. You could squueze that in on the way up or back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fort William routes – guide book?’ is closed to new replies.