Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Foam grips – any good?
  • andyl
    Free Member

I’ve never tried them as I have to have large diameter grips to avoid cramps (use ODI Rogues) but I am designing some of my own MTB components and wondered about making some large diameter foam grips. I thought about the foam route initially for trial parts as it’s easier than moulding rubber but I wondered if there where any benefits? Do they feel nicer or do people use them as for that last few grams of weight loss?

ruscle
    Free Member

Yes.
    The Crankbrothers Cobalt grips are sweet and lasting really well for me with no signs of wear in 6 months of winter riding.

LINKY

andyl
    Free Member

do you not just squish them down to the bars?

ruscle
    Free Member

No as foam is quite dense.

PaulD
    Free Member

Buy a Road pack of 4 foam tubes and cut one in half for both pieces on your MTB. They are thicker than the dedicated pairs sold for MTB but weigh nearly the same.
    You get 4 bikes worth from one pack.
    I actually found the pack in Poundland.
    Stuck them on with Evostick which is waterproof!
    I know it will be a sharp knife to remove them, and bin the mess.
    Done this on 3 bikes and am very pleased with the result…nearly as comfortable as Spesh Anatomicals at 150grams less.

Oh, and a parting comment…the road foam is not the porous sponge that the MTB pairs often are…they are awful when it rains.

PaulD

andyl
    Free Member

ahh didn’t know about road foam. Always associated road bars with tape.

kiwijohn

Ritchey WCS’s are good. Crank bros, not so much. The foam is too thin

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve been using ESI silicone grips on my nice bike for a while now. The chunky ones are great.

ruscle
    Free Member

The Crankbrothers Cobalt grips are sweet

Just got some of those ESI foam grips and I’m very impressed. These will be my choice of grip from know on.

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve liked the Ritcheys but now on ESI chunky, charlie the bikemonger has plenty in I believe

Scamper
    Free Member

Tried some Ritchey WCS last summer and was impressed – comfy and as chuncky as my ODI’s. And made me feel like an XC racing snake 😀 Just a bugger to get off.

njee20
    Free Member

wondered about making some large diameter foam grips.

Bontrager Race X Lites are bloody thick, and foam.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m using some ‘Bontrager Race XXX Lite’ because they are light but I like them. If they last a decent time I will stick some on my other bike.

Grips are a bit of a personal choice though, I don’t like fat grips and these Bontrager ones are skinny.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I guess the ones with one X are fatter njee20?

headfirst
    Free Member

Where do folk get their ESI grips from in the UK? Only online seller is on US ebay??

D0NK

Just googles bonty grips, the xxx and x look quite different, as fat as ODI yetis do you think njee?

Do you fit em with any adhesive and do they stay put ok?

headfirst CTBM as mentioned above

Rickos
    Free Member

headfirst – Charlie has them in stock. Chunky and Racers Edge versions.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/grips-77-c.asp

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Got a cheapo set from CRC and liking ’em so far – only thing with them is they are shorter than the grips I had before

njee20
    Free Member

I guess the ones with one X are fatter njee20?

Correct!

Just googles bonty grips, the xxx and x look quite different, as fat as ODI yetis do you think njee?

As above, the X Lites are much fatter – the same thickness as a Grip Shift shifter, I used to use them with that combo, made for a better transition than most grips (foam or rubber), which were generally thinner than the Grip Shift bit, so you had a ‘ridge’ in the middle. I’d say they were thicker than Yetis, but it’s been a while since I used the ODIs.

Now use XXX Lites (as I use triggers), they’re far thinner, and a bit firmer, but I still find them really comfy.

Put them on with hairspray, mainly to help with getting them on. Ended up cutting one off when I took my fork off at the weekend, they were looking pretty worn anyway and they were well stuck on, couldn’t be bothered faffing, they’ve been removed several times, usually just give a spray of GT85 or sommat under the grip.

nsaints
    Free Member

Grips are a bit of a personal choice though

+1

Stanley Knifed my ESI grips off, didn’t like them
    perfer something with a bit more of a solid feel and less…err spongy 😕

zilog6128

Where do folk get their ESI grips from in the UK? Only online seller is on US ebay??

I imported mine from ebay (trucker co). Good price & quite quick.

<shameless plug>
    However a couple of guys I know locally who run their own online bike bits business have now got them in stock at my insistence! If anyone is from the Whistable area you might know them – Ollie & Josh from Boardworx (Whitstable Windsurfing). They are good guys, have been involved in the local MTB/BMX scenes for years. http://www.driftcycles.co.uk/
    </shameless plug>

headfirst
    Free Member

Cheers for the nod in Charlie’s direction ( I should read threads more carefully). I remember now he was out of stock when I was looking a while ago. Ta.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Foam grips – any good?’ is closed to new replies.