Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Flooring – self levelling compounds + carpeting over
  • ourmaninthenorth

We’re renovating the bedroom in the house we’ve bought. It’s a 60s bungalow, so naturally the bedrooms are on the ground floor.

The flooring comprises (in descending order): carpet/underlay/laminate/insulation/self levelling screed/rigid vinyl tiles (the ones with asbestos in)/concrete slab.

There was a built-in wardrobe placed on the vinyl tiles, so the other flooring has been built up against it. We’ve now removed the wardrobe, so there is a heigh differntial where the wardrrobe was.

I’m going to lisft the carpet and laminate, leaving the screed (and beneath it the vinyl tiles).

What do I need to get to ensure that I can level off the gap where the wardrobe was?

Also, will this have any affect on damp?

Finally, I assume that fitting a carpet onto the screed is fine, so long as we have a decent underlay to slow carpet wear?

Cheers

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A carpet over the screed will be fine, just go for broke on a good underlay! Builder’s paper under the underlay might be a good idea.

A cheap latex floor levelling compound will do fine, assuming you’re only covering the area of, say, a double wardrobe. A company called Sika make one that you just mix with water which is good quality. Some of the cheaper ones you get from B&Q and the likes crumble very quickly if they’re not mixed correctly.

Pour in slowly and level off with with a straight edge (maybe precut to the width of the gap you want to fill). Allow to dry for a week or so before laying carpet on top.

Should be an easy enough job for anybody with half an idea what he’s doing. 🙂

trout
    Free Member

Take the lot up. if as you say it is screed on top of vynil tiles and a 60 s house then the tiles will be on a bitumen adhesive probably
    will come up easy with a small garden spade as a scraper .

Or any decent latex screed to screed over the remaining tiles. IE arditex NA

No Disrespect DD. but I would never use a water based screed over Vynil tiles

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Take the lot up.

But if he’s only carpeting, why bother?

Yes, it would be great to get down to the original slab, but if the vinyl tiles a) contain asbestos and b) are on a bitumenous adhesive, he only creating more work for himself surely.

ourmaninthenorth

Should be an easy enough job for anybody with half an idea what he’s doing.

You haven’t met my retired father in law, have you? 😉

Take the lot up.

TBH, not massively keen on disturbing the vinyl tiles where I can help it. I know the asbestos content is low, but I’d rather leave in situ.

ourmaninthenorth

Or any decent latex screed to screed over the remaining tiles. IE arditex NA

OK. You’ll need to tell me more..!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Something like this omitn…arditex is more of a trade thing…normally with chemically accelerated drying.

Cheaper than I thought too.

Honestly mate, it’s a doddle.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers DD. Will take a look. Need to work out what depth needs to be filled.

trout
    Free Member

one bag of screed and one bottle of the liquid. mix both together and pour in spread with a trowel
    it will just about self level .
    and if you are a tad high wait till it is nearly set and scrape it level

http://www.ardex.co.uk/arditex_na.asp

Where in the north are you as got loads of the stuff in my shed

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

LOL!

Me an’ all mate…always hanging around in quarter bags, a litre in a can… 😳

wallop

Usually on the sites I have worked on the asbestos contained in vinyl floor tiles is “non-notifiable”, which means you may not need an asbestos contractor to take them up.

ourmaninthenorth

West Lancs.

Anyway, I’ve seen what comes outof your shed. It’s like the rising sun..!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Flooring – self levelling compounds + carpeting over’ is closed to new replies.