Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Fizik Gobi- numb bits. which saddle is better?
  • hora
    Free Member

Today I experienced totally numb bits after a long climb. No matter how much adjusting the saddle still feels overly firm.

Any decent comfy saddles??

rootes1

try a Fizik Aliante – much more rounded in profile so it sit over it rather than on it (if that makes sense)

a number of shops do loan saddles to try before you buy – def worth doing

where are you based?

tazzymtb

gobi’s usually take a few rides to soften in, new saddle or is it an old one and you just and namby pamby delicate undercarriage?

problem with saddles is that one mans “sofa” is anothers “sitting on a razor”

but I love gobi’s and SDG formula fx and I fly’s

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Selle Italia SLR is nice and comfy. I did have a Gobi for a while, it was ok but maybe a bit to big and squishy and heavy for my liking.

drapper
    Free Member

I use selle slr gel it’s nice and comfortable but saddles are such a personnel thing, try before buy?

hora
    Free Member

I’m in Manchester. I bought it off STW used. I’ve struggled with it and often have to sit on the extreme ends of the saddle to basically get a break.

tazzymtb

gobi’s are quite Hammock like as well, I found that very slightly nose up gives the perfect comfy position, unlike all other saddles I ride which are dead flat

rootes1

I’m in Manchester. I bought it off STW used. I’ve struggled with it and often have to sit on the extreme ends of the saddle to basically get a break.

sure one of the shops (perhaps road shop like Harry hall?) will do loan saddles.. Selle Italia dealers should offer loan saddles as do many fizik dealers.

Specialized concept stores also do loans

for me it is much more about getting the shape right rather than the padding

hora
    Free Member

Tazzy that could be where I’m going wrong

sambob
    Free Member

Fancy a trial swap for a Charge Spoon? Not as comfy as it was, bit narrow for me now. Fancy trying a Gobi just to see if it works.

skywalker
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air, best saddle by far.

br
    Free Member

Its not just the saddle but a combination of this, the post, the height/angle and probably your shorts that will decide – plus how ‘soft’ you are 🙂

Also don’t discount how you have you bars set.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i get this occasionally too, i have been wearing bibshorts that are to small around the nether regions – couldt it be they are a little too tight?

the gobi is the comfiest seat ive tried by miles, but im skinny at around 10.6 stone or so

stoney
    Free Member

+ 1 for the Aliante

pjm84
    Free Member

the gobi is the comfiest seat ive tried by miles, but im

Massive and weigh in at 17stone. I have them on all my off road bikes apart from the DH but then again I’m not really using the saddle for this one.

My road bikes have the ARIONE which in comparsion is like sitting on a brick.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

All very subjective. I love Wtb silverados which have minimal padding as the wings are perfectly placed for my sit bones and the comfort comes from the shell flex. Have stockpiled a couple off here that came up cheap as chips, and even the cromo railed is sub 250grm.

sambob
    Free Member

I was surprised at how comfortable i found the Arione, even though it has very little padding. Nice on the road bike, not sure I’d want to use it on a Hardtail though.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Had a gobi and ride 1 it felt spot on THEN i tried a charge spoon and that blew it away. The charge designer must have measured my arse!

davewalsh
    Free Member

I had an SDG Bel-Air which I found really comfy, then one day I left my saddle and post at the side of the car after putting my bike in the boot. Tried a Gobi and found it an instrument of torture, no matter how I adjusted it, so sold it and went back to a Bel-Air.

I think it’s due to the low swoop on the nose of the bel-air which makes it good for me, the Gobi always felt like the back was pushing me forwards or the nose was sticking up too high.

stayhigh

I used to have a Bel Air and when that eventually died (5 or so years old) I decided to try a Gobi given all the reviews etc for them.

I find that its ok for the most part but on longer rides can start to feel quite hard and unforgiving around my sit bones.

I have a Spoon on my SS which is nice and I may try on the Hecker at some point. Or I may look at another SDG?

rewski
    Free Member

I asked that very same question a few weeks ago, I popped a rail on my gobi 🙁

XC saddles

big_scot_nanny

I found the gobi was never really that comfy, and went to a SDG bel air after a snapped the base of the gobi. (I am fat).

Find them by far the comfiest, although the charge spoon ain’t that bad either.

Only thing with the SDG is that the back of the saddle is a bit big, and I find sliding off the back of the spoon bit easier.

Kev

batman11
    Free Member

Was a def 2nd on the bel air but have now found the joy of the on one big nose cheep and very comfy for me anyway and have now got them on all 3 of my bikes …

hugor
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mess around with numb bits. It can cause permanent problems with the old fella.
    I had your problem did some research and went for the Selle SMP.
    They’re expensive but they’re worth it.

hora
    Free Member

I agree. I’ve had the tip go numb before but never EVERYTHING. I pinched myself hard everywhere and it felt 100% numb. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see it could cause erectile and/or sensation issues during abit of ‘how’s your Father.

Off to look at Bel Airs now. Sambob. I’ve had a Spoon. Found it too firm for me. If I remember you can borrow my Gobi

stratman
    Free Member

My wife got measured up for a specialized – suited her, but she did buy the demo one (in jarring red and white

You sit on a sort of gel pad and they measure the distance between your sitbones. (We used Biketreks Ambleside, but there must be lots more places like this)

I use a Gobi and it’s been fine

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air, best saddle by far.

+1 & much better than the Gobi as far as my fat ar$e is concerned.

shindiggy
    Free Member

SDG BEL Air RL Ti.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Fizik Gobi- numb bits. which saddle is better?’ is closed to new replies.