• This topic has 33 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by gee.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Recommend me an all day XC saddle…
  • rewski
    Free Member

…please – to replace my popped fizik gobi, which I loved but found a bit uncomfortable after 5+ hours riding.

ruscle
    Free Member

Brooks Ti Swift

njee20
    Free Member

Always liked my Spesh Phenom SL

lumberjack
    Free Member

oops, saw the title and clicked through to recommend Fizik Gobi, love mine.

dickie
    Free Member

Ritchey WCS Marathon.

theprawn
    Free Member

if the saddle gets uncomfortable only after 5+ hours it’s unlikely to be the saddle at fault. get the same saddle they are great.

Paceman
    Free Member

SDG Bel Air Ti

kane10255
    Free Member

Spesh henge here comfy as an armchair!

rewski
    Free Member

Fizik Gobi are great, I think someone on here got a replacement from fizik after there’s popped a rail, unfortunately I heard this after I’d gouged a hole with a hot knife to bed the rail back in, my bodge is holding up nicely.

SDG Bel Air looks nice. I heard good things about charge spoon.

letmetalktomark

Default answer is SDG Bel Air Ti

However the original Flite T or Flite Ti Alpes are super comfy and very light.

jonathan
    Free Member

Oh if I could find some Flite Alpes I’d be a happy bunny.

I just replaced an old Gobi with a new Gobi XM – it’s got a flatter, wider nose which is a bit nicer for long saddle time. Might be worth a look.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

agree that if it only becomes uncomfortable at 5+hrs its not exactly a poor choice of saddle for you. Saddles are totally subjective, and it looks like youv’e found one that is pretty good for you. Are there any similar shaped Gobis or other saddles? How old are your padded shorts, and how often do you do 5+hrs?

I like the WTB silverado and have done all day (8hr) rides where the only part of me not hurting was my arse. Not much padding, but the wings are in the exact right place for my sit bones and the cushioning comes from shell flex and I have bought a few on classifieds here. Charge spoon also gets recommended a lot.

bobfleming

Another vote for Spesh Phenom here.

letmetalktomark

I forget what this saddle is but its Ti railed, lite and very comfortable.

pickle
    Free Member

agree with crashtestmonkey, they are totally subjective……but a few i’ve liked over the years, SDG Bell air or any WTB saddle always seems to be comfy 😀

hughjengin
    Free Member

if the saddle gets uncomfortable only after 5+ hours it’s unlikely to be the saddle at fault. get the same saddle they are great.

Couldnt agree more, if a saddle starts to get mildly uncomfortable at the 5 hour mark, then I would buy the same one again and again because its obviously the right one for you. Gobi’s are ace

rewski
    Free Member

Agree Gobi is ace, and will probably buy another, I just wondered if I could be riding for longer in more comfort, a lot of saddles out there, and I’ve got a few all dayers planned.

globalti
    Free Member

Charge Spoon or Knife. End of problem.

alex7147
    Free Member

agreed ^ espically the ti ones! i wouldn’t ride anything other – got one on my xc bike and road bike (knife)

chakaping
    Free Member

Gobis are alright, but I prefer the shape of the SDG Bel Air as it’s a bit more comfy and seems to snag shorts less.

Taken the Gobi off my latest bike and selling it if you do want one cheap, email in profile.

I’ll be buying a Bel Air or taping up my WTB Pure V.

alfabus
    Free Member

WTB saddles fit my nethers nicely.

I own – 2xRocket-V (one of them an SLT), 1xPure-V, 1xShadow-V

Just ordered a silverado with ti rails 🙂

Dave

marvincooper

Another vote for the Charge spoon – comfiest saddle I’ve ever had.

Cammer
    Free Member

I have always found Specialized saddles the comfiest. Currently have a Henge.

I did try a charge spoon with all the positive comments, but I found it very uncomfortable…just to confuse you

chakaping
    Free Member

Just ordered a silverado with ti rails

Have you tried one before?

I’m a big fan of the Pure V but thought the Silverado was remarkably uncomfortable.

alfabus
    Free Member

Have you tried one before?

Oh no, don’t say things like that!! I was hoping that since I’ve used most of the WTB saddles, I’d be fine 🙄

Hopefully it will be fine… don’t fancy trying to convince CRC to take back a saddle that has spent a couple of uncomfortable hours between my bumcheeks.

Dave

chakaping
    Free Member

They have a new free returns system now. Worth considering if you’re not into hard saddles.

avdave2

I forget what this saddle is but its Ti railed, lite and very comfortable.

I didn’t realise this was a post a picture of your bike with a comfortable saddle whose identity is a mystery to you thread. 🙂

I’ve got the Ritchey WCS Marathon which I’ve done up to 10 hours on without any issues. It does need to be combined with padded shorts as well if you want to ride for any time but I guess that goes without saying.

andrewh
    Free Member

if the saddle gets uncomfortable only after 5+ hours it’s unlikely to be the saddle at fault

This ^
    I have done 4 solo 24hrs (3 MTB and 1 road) on a Flite SLR and they have been fine. They were hardly designed for comfort but I have had no issues. Would recomend one of these as they are light and comfy and surprisingly durable (broke one in a 20mph road bike crash but otherwise fine)

However, I have one on my time-trial bike and this gets uncomfy after about an hour, needs some tweaking somewhere.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I like SDG Bel Airs. No issues with them on long MTB or road rides.

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’ve use Selle Italia Flites for more years than I care to remember and they are great for all/multi day riding provided your arse fits it!

ruffrider

SDG Bel Air Ti for me too….

bigbloke
    Free Member

Surely after 5 hours it would be sore on all saddles?.

My 2penneth….used always SDG Bel Air which are very comfy. On my new bike it came fitted with a Fizik Gobi XM which on first impressions looked a bit ouch to me was quite the contrary and i find superb (2.5hours being max time in the saddle). Bit of a convert now.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of Gobis.. One old, one new. I actually prefer the old one. It is on a full suss, not a hardtail, so this might help!
    I’ve also got a couple of Bontrager seats which I prefer over either of the Gobis. They cost a load less and aren’t as nicer construction, but have more room to move around on.

gee
    Free Member

Specialized Romin. Nice curved shape.

GB

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an all day XC saddle…’ is closed to new replies.