• This topic has 49 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by timc.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • **** the Police
  • enfht
    Free Member

So, a work collegues brother-in-law is a copper.

Last week his bike was nicked from his garden. A couple of days later his wife thought she saw the bike being ridden by a teenager. He goes out in his car to search the area, finds said bike, takes the bike back and lets the thief go on his merry way.

I think the term USELESS best describes the shithead

Rant over, I'm off to buy some pork scratchings

Any STW fuzz willing to defend him?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

he was off duty

voodoo-rich

You seem remarkably upset about this, considering you're not personally involved…

Drac

Was he the thief or are you just guessing?

enfht
    Free Member

God you lot are wet, do you actually own bikes yourself?

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Well it's a case of perspective what's the better headline.

Off duty cop stabbed to death over bicycle

or

Keen cyclist reunited with bike through wife's vigilance

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think he showed commendable energy, resourcefulness and policing skill in locating and recovering the stolen property. I am confident that he would have been equally energetic in pursuit of the bicycle had it not been his. All of us who have had bikes stolen will be familiar with the tireless efforts of the constabulary to re-unite us with them. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So, to recap, a man happens (COMPLETELY by chance) to spot his own stolen bike and get it back….

I fail to see what the police have done wrong here myself. Would someone please explain?

downshep

Might have been witnesses around, so perhaps he'll make a purse out of the yoof's scrotum later on when no one is looking, or perhaps the guy on it wasn't the thief, or perhaps he'll follow it up when on duty, or perhaps the cop doesn't want to lose his job or have his house torched while he's on nightshift and his family are asleep inside. Who knows? we don't.

Lots of anger there, have sit down and a Tunnocks Teacake.

JonR
    Free Member

enfht, do you by any chance read the Daily Mail?

Drac

Yes but that it hasn't given me the sense to able to tell if it's thief riding a bike.

enfht
    Free Member

Let me put in another way, should a Postman decide what post he wishes to deliver?

Lets just hope the yoof doesn't nick your bike next time eh?

BigJohn

If the copper was not convinced that the case against the rider would hold up in court, he made the right decision.

andyeez
    Free Member

If he had locked him up that would also have given the scrote his address, which is not good if you are a copper!

bigdawg
    Free Member

Let me put in another way, should a Postman decide what post he wishes to deliver?

eh so has he not recovered other bikes becasue he went after his, or not arrested someone because he was getting his bike back??? Unless theres a huge part of this you havent told us Im not sure what the moan is about

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yes, I have a bike, but I'd be happy to get it nicked so I can have a nice new one from the insurance company, but no bugger'll have it 🙁

BigDummy
    Free Member

Do police officers really take the decision to arrest teenage bike thieves or not based on whether they're scared of having their family slaughtered in a revenge arson attack?

I find the idea a little implausible.

enfht
    Free Member

I think some of you may actually be about to defend the thief… 😆

Drac

Is he on his day off?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

should a Postman decide what post he wishes to deliver?

a closer analogy would be "Is an off duty postman required to redeliver mail wrongly posted through their letterbox?"

cynic-al
    Free Member

This thread seems the epitome of the growing trend for "lets slag off the OP no matter what he says"

Seems pretty **** of the copper not to do the thief (though you can see why he didn't), Shirley he would not have had to do much in his own time?

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm sure the copper probably had more insight into the likelihood of getting a prosecution and probably concluded that arresting him would involve shit loads of paperwork and end up with the kid saying he found it and no prosecution being made as there would likely be no evidence he actually stole it. So in that position I can understand why he handled it that way even if it's not the knee-capping he might deserve in some people's eyes :p

enfht
    Free Member

We're turing into MegaCity1 where coppers are more like Judges.

Feel the limp-wristed fist of Dredd!

😐

Oh and I read the Guardian 😯

Al, how did you know my name is Shirley?

Drac

This thread seems the epitome of the growing trend for "lets slag off the OP no matter what he says"

We're waiting for more details but the OP is failing to supply any.

BigDummy
    Free Member

The really interesting question perhaps is this: if you got your bike back from a scrote on the street by a mixture of firm persuasion and swivelling psycho-eyes, and the scrote complained to the police, would they side with you, or the scrote?

If we're confident they'd side with us I don't think on balance that I have a problem here. 🙂

myheadsashed

Are suggesting the guy on the bike should have been the next Rodney King?
    😳

chipps

Is it time for your yearly Police-bashing thread then? This from a year ago…
    😉

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/police-apathy-or-apathy-towards-the-police

myheadsashed

Busy Chipps 😉

myheadsashed

Busy Chipps 😉

Drac

I wonder if it was the same thief?

nickegg
    Free Member

Useless would imply he did nothing…not the case though was it?

Perhaps he knew the chances of a prosecution were slim to none, not to mention the load of paper work involved! You must know an awful lot about the realities of being a policeman to make such sweeping statements 🙄

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I don't think I understand
    Are you mad because he got his bike back and didn't give the kid a pasting or because he didn't arrest him?

If he's off duty and he's just after his bike like any other normal citizen then job done what's your problem.

If he gave him a pasting, then that's his job, career and chances are most of his mates gone.

He arrests him for being in possession of a stolen bike, first question to any civilian can you prove it’s your bike? “Did you just go after a kid on a bike the same as yours and conveniently get it back?”- it’s a whole can of worms.
    And to make matters worse there’s no proof the kid on the bike is the thief not to mention the p155 all sentence he’d get out of it (thanks CPS)

And as already pointed out if it all happened in his back yard so to speak then there is the family element too to think of. If the kid on the bike is the thief then he knows where the cop lives so can send his mates round to put a brick through the window or steal the bike again.

All in all you sound a little too angry about what is ultimately a happy ending

Bloke gets bike nicked. Bloke gets bike back.

molgrips
    Free Member

The kid riding the bike was not necessarily the thief. Did someone already point this out?

toys19
    Free Member

Yawn. Troll central. I would imagine the copper used his knowledge and experience to asses that the chances of a successful prosecution were zero, otherwise he would have nicked him on the spot wouldn't he?

enfht
    Free Member

Oh how practical, matt 😉

Dylan08
    Free Member

nickc

Do you mean we ought to take the law into our own hands, hunt down and beat with sticks people who've stolen property from us? It's *just* a bicycle, y'know?

Trimix
    Free Member

I think he did the right thing. I also think the title of the post is a bit offensive. Give it a rest and go and ride your bike while the sun is shining.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think the OP's message is: The police seem unwilling to take on bike thieves.

I have some sympathy for the OP's complaint, but not for the way it was made.

Trimix
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear – your right, but the way it has been made is wrong and should be pointed out so its not made that way again.

The police enforce the law, not make it. I can see some laws as pointless and some sentances as pointless. I think its a good thing for common sence to prevail now and again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘**** the Police’ is closed to new replies.