Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fear the worst, cracked mojo?
  • Highland28
    Free Member

Hi,

While giving my bike a good clean, for the Summer ahead. I removed the heli-tape from along the top tube and found this. Could this be my worst fear?

[/url]
    mojo2 by Highland28, on Flickr[/img]
    [/url]
    100_1862 by Highland28, on Flickr[/img]

Thanks Gregor

legend
    Free Member

do you ever clamp something, for example a workstand, around the top tube?

Highland28
    Free Member

Never clamped anything around there, the workstand is always clamped around the seatpost.

ojom
    Free Member

Bring that bad boy back to the Mothership Gregor.

We’ll have a look and sort you out.

Highland28
    Free Member

Cheers Mark, will drop in tomorrow morning if that is ok?

ojom
    Free Member

Of course.

Toasty

Bet it’s a cosmetic crack in the clear coat, mine did that, in a similar same place. I think the clear coat is quite rigid stuff, and the frame is quite flexible.

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/crack-cosmetic-opinions-616505.html

That was mine, I sent it off to Hans. Turned out it was just cosmetic, he offered to send it back, or sell me a crash replacement front end. I went for the new frame, in a different colour too.

Top company! Have no fear.

Daffy

^^^^What he said^^^^

portlyone

‘Tis but a scratch’. Probably.

Toasty

I unashamedly lied though, to suck up to him. I really sold the replacement he sent and bought a Five. Clearly not going to say that when he’s handling my £2000 frame warranty though 😛

wwaswas

😥

airbus387
    Free Member

Hi highland28,I have just taken a look at the pics you posted i see the cable guide is screwed into the carbon.Now it looks like the crack is central to where the center of the screws of the guide are not sure if stress could be the problem.As it hard to tell from the pics.But why it should appear some distance from the guide im not sure.Not i might be talkin sh*ite, Hope you can have the problem fixed.As said b4 me it might be a clear coat problem

airbus387
    Free Member

Or is it rivets that hold the guide to the frame

Highland28
    Free Member

The guides are riveted into the frame, but the crack is right in the centre of the top tube.

Hopefully it is just the clear coat.

takisawa2

It’s clearly wear & tear.

Best regards.
    Litespeed.

Highland28
    Free Member

Well over one month on I now have my frame back. Now with a nice new green SL front end to it.
    A few calls to Mark at The Bike Chain who was more than helpful, able to call 2pure as soon as we got off the phone and give me the low down on the progress. I am heading out to France on the 6th July and the due date was supposed to be after this but luckily Ibis managed to get it on an earlier shipment.

I even got it delivered to my flat. it is always nice having a riding buddy and ex work mate working in a LBS, cheers Paul.

Thanks again to everyone involved.

Trekster

I am heading out to France on the 6th July

Me to ❗ From Edin? Where to? 11am flight?
    Could/will be a lot of bikes going through the airport on that day 🙄

Was in thebikechain for the first time on Wed for a mosey around, only get up to Edin occasionally and not ventured down that way before. Didnt make it past the Cask & Barrel(?) on the way back up. Some random blone female gave me a pint of lagercause her “mate” had got delayed and was`nt going to make their meet 😆

Highland28
    Free Member

We are heading out for 3 1/2 weeks, first to Alp duez for a bit of riding, 2 are riding Mountain on Hell, the over the hill to the Mega-avalanche and a final week or so of general riding. We are driving all the way, its going to be interesting with 4 of us in a car.
    Where are you heading to?
    I think tbc is great, a nice selection of bikes and clothing, need to pop back in now they have all the madison stuff!
    You can never say no to a pint from a random blonde female! 😀

Trekster

Chatel for a week 😆
    Yeah, Madison stuff looks OK.
    Got a Hagloffs waterproof 1/2 price in Cotswolds later. Well tested on work commute and first time I have bought a jacket with a hood which was really useful last few days 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fear the worst, cracked mojo?’ is closed to new replies.