Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Exterior woodwork paint?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Now the weather’s getting a bit better I need to sort out the rather sorry looking exterior paint work on all my windowframes etc.

Now given some bits are the best part of 30′ up, I don’t want to have to be redoing it every year. I’ve always used bog standard oil-based undercoat and gloss (usually Wickes, several coats of each), but just wondering if there’s any kind of “miracle paint” that’s going to be much longer lasting?

Sorry for such a boring topic, but do it right this year and I get more riding next year!

Cheers!

VanHalen

my dad had this issue with timber windows for years.

then he had to replace bits of frame (he was chippy so no problem) and before repainting painted the whole lot in epoxy resin. the window paint lasted ages after as the water couldnt get in and there was less thermal movement/cracking after too. even on the non replaced bits.

thepurist

A decent stain will outlast paint – it shouldn’t bubble & crack like gloss does. Fair bit of prep to do if it’s already painted though.

ransos
    Free Member

Gloss paint will always let in water eventually, which then sits under the paint and rots the wood. Better to use a microporous oil or stain, which lets the wood breathe.

wwaswas

I’ve found with our beach hut that the ‘branded’ paints seem to outlast the cheaper ones.

if they’re alreayd painted then I’d forget stains etc and just make sure you don’t skimp on the preparation.

neilferther
    Free Member

Dulux weathershield is what you need, esp if used with the matching primer/undercoat. It lets the wood breathe and expands and contracts with it so it doesnt crack so much. It lasts for ages even on south facing windows.

Also had good results with Sadolin opaque wood protector, that saves even more time as it goes on really quick and lasts for years.

lambchop
    Free Member

Sadolin ‘Superdec’ opaque woodstain, awesome waterbased, self undercoating bit of exterior loveliness. Use Zinsser ‘Bullseye 123’ primer first for really long lasting results.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Exterior woodwork paint?’ is closed to new replies.