Viewing 40 posts - 35,601 through 35,640 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I see the anti democratic Tories and Brexiteers are out in full swing

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/oct/24/universities-mccarthyism-mp-demands-list-brexit-chris-heaton-harris

So much for remainers being opposed to democracy hey, Ninfan and Jambalaya?

kimbers

not all brexies are fascists, but that one is^^^^.

meanwhile McDnonell is the voice of business & common sense as Hammond takes Treasury Questions!
    -thanks to May saying that transition arrangements woudnt be decided until late next year, arguably too late for many business

slowoldman

First they came for the professors.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The sudden and desperate swing to the far right is symptomatic of the malaise of right wing politics. We’ve had the current economic system of deregulation and tax breaks for wealthy individuals and corporations for four decades, but the resulting societal divisions mean that these policies now no longer function for the benefit of the 51% of people voting at elections. In truth, our asset bubble has been on life support since 2008 and the shift in wealth required to prop it up means that the middle and working classes are being squeezed very hard.

For want of alternatives, the right seem emboldened to lurch towards authoritarianism and protectionism. For these people, the referendum was the perfect result – any resulting economic catastrophe is “the will of the people”, thus they’ve a free hand to destroy and rebuild the economy. The fundamentals of poor productivity and poor wage growth won’t disappear, instead we’ll see employment rights and protective legislation stripped away. This is the ultimate price for decades of under investment in improving productivity and infrastructure.

The only bright side to this is that unless the Conservative Party goes down the route of radical transformation towards embracing centrist policies, it’ll destroy it’s electoral appeal for those who don’t read the Daily Mail for a very long time indeed.

zokes
    Free Member

Here’s a simple response to that letter that I hope all the VCs will use:

Dear Chris

Re: list of professors teaching European studies.

**** off.

Yours sincerely,

Prof xyz
    VC, abc university

P.S. I strongly urge you to avail yourself of at least a cursory overview of 1930s European politics

mrmo
    Free Member

you would think so, wouldn’t you. but here we are.

Who was the scotish Tory MP who came out and stated they didn’t vote as it was too hard!!!

She should be fired! No discussion, completely incompetent.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“The Commission is not negotiating in a hostile mood. We want the deal. Those who don’t want the deal, the ‘no dealers’, they have no friends in the Commission,” he told the parliament.

“We want a fair deal with Britain and we will have a fair deal with Britain. A no-deal is not our working assumption.”

Some sensible narrative emerging. Moved a long way and a few pages since talk of “talks collapsed” 😉

igm

Never thought it was the EU that was collapsing the talks of course…

As Corbyn says, the biggest frozen negotiation is inside May’s cabinet.

dannyh
    Free Member

On the subject of the attempted ‘outing’ of ‘red’ university lecturers (welcome to McCarthyite America everyone).

There was a chap interviewed who basically said the Tory pillock was just fishing for a story about ‘subversive’ rabidly left-wing lecturers poisoning the minds of impressionable youngsters and would probably have just found the subject was being taught in an adult and nuanced way.

What he failed to say (but I suspect he was itching to) was that this should also lead to some self assessing after which the man concluded that he was himself a massive bellend.

Just a tip, when a right-winger accuses anyone of being ‘unpatriotic’ what they really mean is ‘balanced and questioning’.

Sadly May is not strong enough to do what she should, which is to put this brat over her knee and smack his arse in front of everyone. Actually, seeing as he’s a Tory fanboi, this might fulfill some fantasies for him.

igm

Chris Heaton-Harris should be asked to consider his position as an MP.

dannyh
    Free Member

igm – Member
    Chris Heaton-Harris should be asked to consider his position as an MP.

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-P

Indeed. He has, however, cemented his position as a bellend.

Murray

Prof Brian Cox’s response

My view – Heaton-Harris should be sacked.

dannyh
    Free Member

My view – Heaton-Harris should be sacked.

We’re about to have it demonstrated for us exactly how powerless May really is.

Don’t sack him and it is obvious she isn’t in charge.

Do sack him and a leadership challenge gets a notch closer.

I wouldn’t put it beyond the swivel-eyed loons to have put the prat up to it. It’s a win-win for the nasties.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On what grounds would she sack him?

dannyh
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You are kidding, right?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, I am trying to ascertain the grounds under which the PM would sack this MP?

There are also headlines about demands etc. Can someone post that letter too. The one above must be the wrong one.

Over – familiarity perhaps?

Dear Vice Chancellor would be far more appropriate. Unless he knew the guy

Standards,honestly. That doesn’t even look like a fountain pen

kimbers

Amusing Brexit is in the running for being a case study in disastrously managed projects

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/24/brexit-more-complex-than-first-moon-landing-says-academic-study

Ill bet that heaton-harris numpty really hates that guy; hes a german & a lefty accademic that doesnt espouse the sanctioned opinons on Brexit !!

dannyh
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

There are also headlines about demands etc. Can someone post that letter too. The one above must be the wrong one.

Over – familiarity perhaps?

Dear Vice Chancellor would be far more appropriate. Unless he knew the guy

Standards,honestly. That doesn’t even look like a fountain pen

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Being deliberately obtuse whilst pretending to want to ‘get to the facts dispassionately’ doesn’t cut it, I’m afraid. The sarcasm is childish.

Can you honestly come up with a convincing argument why he should want that information for a benign purpose? Is he on some cross-party committee that has been tasked by someone to look into this?

No?

One of two things, then:

He was fishing for a story to discredit the remain camp by evoking some kind of McCarthyist witch hunt.

Or, more likely.

It is a put-up job to ratchet the pressure up on May.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Can you honestly come up with a convincing argument why he should want that information for a benign purpose?

Maybe he’s decided to learn how to do Brexit. Since his bosses clearly haven’t a clue. I do think he should at least stump up a year’s fees to start though.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Being deliberately obtuse whilst pretending to want to ‘get to the facts dispassionately’ doesn’t cut it, I’m afraid. The sarcasm is childish.
    Can you honestly come up with a convincing argument why he should want that information for a benign purpose? Is he on some cross-party committee that has been tasked by someone to look into this?
    No?
    One of two things, then:
    He was fishing for a story to discredit the remain camp by evoking some kind of McCarthyist witch hunt.
    Or, more likely.

THIS.

It’s so fing obvious that that any attempt to defend casts serious doubts about the individuals ability to see reason.

dissonance

One of two things, then:

Or three. zealot believing the “enemy of the people” stuff.

mrmo
    Free Member

Abuse of position for a starter, it i on commons headed paper and is not related to his role as Whip or MP.

Junkyard
    Free Member

and we feed the troll again

Of course he knows THM is many things but stupid is not one of them.

zokes
    Free Member

You like to think you’re a bright fella, work it out yourself

igm

Not sure a PM can sack a MP.

They can sack Chris Heaton-Harris from government office of course.

About all that can be done about his MP status is to deselect him for the next election. Doubt that will happen.

His crime? Attempted intimidation (politely done, but attempted nevertheless), against people who are pretty good at telling people attempting intimidation where to get off. And stupidity – given who he tried to intimidate.

DrJ

Not sure a PM can sack a MP.

They can chuck him out of the party, I suppose. “inability to google” is surely grounds enough?

igm

inability to google? Bring back hanging 😉

Oh wait a minute, he’d probably like that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So nothing beyond using parliamentary paper to ask for info

Mines a double latte.

1 + 1 = 5

Remoaning in grand style

igm

THM – this time I’m going to have to disagree with you, he was definitely verging on Brexy McCarthyism. Poorly executed like the rest of Brexit.

The speed No10 distanced themselves is evidence they agree.

“Chris Heaton-Harris wrote to universities in his capacity as an MP, not as a representative of the government,” the prime minister’s spokesman said. “I think what the prime minister has always been very clear on is her respect for the freedom and independence of universities and the role they play in creating open and stimulating debate.”

Mine’s a double espresso if you’re buying – not a fan of all the froth you like to swallow. 😉

(sorry – open goal)

kimbers

Typical remoaners, real brexies drink tea.

He’s just carrying on with the enemies of the people line of brexiter attack.

Maybe the failing? talks and oecd assessment is starting to put the willies up even the dimmest brexiter MPs

Either way just the kind of ill- discipline and disunity the Germans & EU27 are worried about, regards our enfeebled Prime Minister

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agreed IGM he is simply an MP

Still no grounds to sack him offered

No surprise.

igm

I thought the Tusk-Barnier double act today was fun.

Here are your options – WTO, a deal, or stay. By the way a deal means pretty much a Canadian deal.

igm

THM – I doubt he broke any law (being an imbecile not yet being illegal), and I doubt he can be sacked as an MP anyway, but after that he really should go.

This was good

All unis should write to Heaton-Harris asking for unreleased Brexit reports so they can teach ‘based on fact.’

PS – I note that he is not, “simply an MP” as you put it but a junior whip. So a government officer.

kimbers

Because everytime a brexiter shoots off on their own private brexie agenda May looks even weaker, just when she needs to be strong.

Maybe it’s time she WTFU and enforced some discipline!

No wonder the EU are talking to Corbyn!

It’s also the same mistake she made with her citizens of nowhere speech, pissing off the 48%(-THM) just Makes her job harder

Del

TBH thm I’m surprised you wouldn’t want the guy censured in some way? Hardly helping HMG look coherent in the face of negotiations, is it? Still I guess many of them feel like they can do what they like these days.
    Can I get a tea? Black please.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You still have not come up with any valid reason other than a like of coffee

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sack the bastard because he wrote a (politely worded) letter on parliamentary paper. It’s an outrage

Better still this is a letter to the Univeraity (no really) of Worcester – WTF is that???

Still with the positive developments over the weekend it’s no surprise that remoaners have to stoop to desperate tactics

IGM – tusk was very revealing indeed. Why on earth did he need to say what he said? That’s obviously a rhetorical question…..

THM – I doubt he broke any law (being an imbecile not yet being illegal), and I doubt he can be sacked as an MP anyway, but after that he really should go

:D. Ok I’ve been out in the hit and miss tonight but I’m not pissed enough to write that!!! Errr,,, errr,,, the quardian is annoyed – sack the bastard. Brilliant !!!

Del

Still with the positive developments over the weekend it’s no surprise that remoaners have to stoop to desperate tactics

An apparently pro brexit government whip goes off reservation and pro remain are using desperate tactics?

😯

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So del before tonight what did you know about this bloke? Probably less than you will remember next week

Get a grip remoaners!!!

Del

Crikey. Sleep well.

Viewing 40 posts - 35,601 through 35,640 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.