Viewing 40 posts - 29,441 through 29,480 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Jamba, are your children eligible for an EU passport?

Nipper99
    Free Member

Arguably Suez was the last time we threw our weight around

No, we thought we could and were soon put back in our post colonial box by the US. That was when we stopped being a ‘world power’ its just it has taken us 60 or so years to recognise it.

I’ve posted this link before but it’s an interesting read nonetheless.

http://www.economist.com/node/7218678

ElVino

I’ve posted this link before but it’s an interesting read nonetheless.

Excellent read thanks for sharing

kimbers

Excellent read thanks for sharing

+1

molgrips
    Free Member

No, we thought we could and were soon put back in our post colonial box by the US.

Sorry, yes – I meant ‘tried’ to throw our weight around.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Suez is interesting, my grandfather, who had been a career soldier before and after WW2 and saw all sorts of s***, resigned his commission from the army in protest at what went on there.

dannyh
    Free Member

Caroline Flint gets it and has listened to her constituents

Caroline Flint will only ever act in whatever manner gets her back on the telly so she can flick her hair a lot whilst hamming it up.

She would have been a Tory anyway, it’s just that the opportunity to gain prominence was probably quicker with Labour when she started out.

mrmo
    Free Member

Suez wasn’t the last time IMO, Cod wars, which we lost were.

kimbers

It’s been a year, still no brexie, let alone our government have come up with a plan yet

mrmo
    Free Member

everyday, brexit keeps on giving, you would have hoped that some semblance of a plan would be in place. but no.

Well there is a plan, EU pulling bodies, EU companies dropping UK suppliers.

All going so well!

molgrips
    Free Member

Just had a discussion with a German colleague about Brexit. He’s a decent bloke, it seems, but he’s quite anti-EU.

He made good points about the shortcomings of the EU. He also said that the press in Germany was controlled by the government and is forced to be pro-EU – even to the point of having the same articles in different papers. But there no-one believes the press apparently in contrast to here.

Also interesting to consider how different a Dexit would be to a Brexit…

chewkw
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    It’s been a year, still no brexie, let alone our government have come up with a plan yet

Naahhh … nobody is reading your news … nobody … nobody gives a monkey about The Times Newspaper headline.

All eyes on that beautiful lady in green Miranda Kerr. 😆

She is so cute with eye colour matching her tight dress. .. OHhh … :mrgreen:

kimbers

i think tomorrows Sun has what you are looking for chewy

meanwhile

chewkw
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    i think tomorrows Sun has what you are looking for chewy

Crikey … is that the headline news? 😯 (btw I don’t buy newspaper at all)

What newspaper is the second one? The Canterbury Tale? 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

chewkw – Member

What newspaper is the second one? The Canterbury Tale? Chewkw made a real funny! 😆

kimbers

I think maybot is describing the image on the front of the sun

bigrich

Crikey … is that the headline news?

it’s to alter the positive public perception of firefighters, as the government are currently looking bad for cutting services.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@molgrips same with the press in France. As I have posted before its wrong to suggest eurosceptism is a UK phenomenon. When the French had a referendum on an EU constitution they rejected it. Swiss voted to end freedom of movement (hard to implement admitedly). The Norwegians voted not to join ….

@kimbers given Cameron made no plans for a Leave result and jumped immediatey it’s not surprising May waited 9 months is it ?

Del

As I have posted before its wrong to suggest eurosceptism is a UK phenomenon

well, done you! newsflash: not everyone thinks everything the eu does is terrific! you heard it here first!
    it’s a good thing you’re here!
    🙄

igm

Cameron made no plans for a Leave result

Why would he, Jamba? He didn’t support it. (And was smart enough not to be the one implementing it.)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@kimbers given Cameron made no plans for a Leave result and jumped immediatey it’s not surprising May waited 9 months is it ?

It should have been number 1 priority way ahead of calling an election.
    9 Months out of 24 that is nearly 1/3 of the time.
    It is scandelous the UK has no agreed plan at this stage.

igm

Be fair. ‘Tis only 3 months since the start of the 24. Still incompetent.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sorry my mistake, you would have thought all that time would have been used to come up with the plan….

Edukator
    Free Member

There are conspiracy theories in France and Germany too. But the idea the government makes papers print positive stuff about the EU doesn’t stand up. I could fill this page with anti-eu stories.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Maybe Cameron spent 5 mins thinking about it and worked out there was no sensible plan, like any reasonably intelligent person could have done.

DrJ

As I have posted before

Gather round and listen to the words of jamba – balanced and reliable commentator.

Junkyard
    Free Member

who always always remembers exactly what he has posted on here 😉

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s amazing really.

The Tories are jockeying for position in the race to replace May, the only thing that’s pertinent to us is whose it going to be & secondly what we are going to get.

A softer Brexit? Well, the Tory party might just about survive & whose at the helm for that will be feted by the party loyalists.

A hard Brexit? Major damage to the Tories as it seems only a small minority of MPs support that.

The question will cone down to not what sort of Brexit is best but what do they (the Tory grandees) want to happen to the party.

Disappear up it’s own @rse in a toxic puff of RW p1ss & wind?

Or survive by muzzling or kicking out the haterz & going for a softer Brexit?

Who knows, a softer Brexit might – MIGHT – just convince some of the electorate to forgive them.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Very interesting article on the Conservative election campaign here:

The Guardian

Their lack of any positive message in the election, or any detail about what their supposed mandate for leaving the EU was supposed to bring is telling. It’s becoming increasingly more obvious that there’s a talent vacuum at the top and that they’re making it up as they go along.

Northwind

bigrich – Member

it’s to alter the positive public perception of firefighters, as the government are currently looking bad for cutting services.

Yup, people are feeling disturbingly positive towards the emergency services after Manchester, the London attacks and Grenfell so it’s time to get things back on track.

oldnpastit

Who knows, a softer Brexit might – MIGHT – just convince some of the electorate to forgive them.

She can have my vote for the usual rate, £100M, paypal to my email address (in profile) is fine.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Ha ha, indeed!

kimbers

Portuguese colleague, obvs concerned about Maybots Rhetoric just checked, even with 10 years residence her & her husband will have to find 2.5grand each to apply for settled status.

On a science salary., in london thats not easy to find!

I can see many EU citizens leaving well before brexit happens

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kimbers foreign students find far more than that for tuiton fees and accomodation costs. I suspect borrowing £2.5k between them will be more appealing than no job for either back in Portugal.

In other news the EU commission are at least talking about the €10 billions pa hole in their budget post Brexit. Sadly this guy’s solution seems to be an EU Army as that will save €25-100bn a year for member states 😯 Given the EU cannot properly manage borders or money God knows what a disaster an Army will be.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commissioners/2014-2019/oettinger/blog/what-your-europe-worth_en

igm

Jamba – their just going to fine google on a regular basis aren’t they? Might need to do Apple and a couple of others too, but regular fines – it’s the future.

kimbers

I suspect borrowing £2.5k between them will be more appealing than no job for either back in Portugal.

That’d be 5k between them, are u sure you’re in finance?

And funnily enough there’s not just Portugal in the rEU….

As for the 10bn a year hole….. So you’re now saying we don’t send 350m a so to the EU?

I wonder where the EU can find 60bn for their next 7 he budget cycle….. Oh yeah Davis is about to pony that up in his deft handling of the divorce bill

Brexishambles all the way !

igm

Kimbers – remember the exchange rate is moving still. £350 a week will be €10b a year very soon. 😉

To be fair to Jamba I don’t think he claimed £350m a week I think he said £10b a year, which was still an over estimate – €10b a year is not to far off at current exchange rates (though I will admit I don’t know if the club subs are paid in euros or Brexy dollars)

mrlebowski
    Free Member

To be fair to Jamba I don’t think he claimed £350m a week

He did – for ages.

I imagine he will do again.

As for the army?

Way too many obstacles for that to ever happen – so talk of one is just more BS. Ignore anyone who tries to say otherwise as it’ll be another Brexie lie to try & drum up support.

hh45
    Free Member

Funnily enough, an EU foreign policy and potentially army was something i was quite positive about and i’m not an EU / Remain fan at all.

I still cant see any evidence that Brexit is going to be a problem and cant believe how polarized everyone is. The EU does / did sod all that was any good for UK – single currency – no, Shenghen – no, democratic – no, accountable – no, a positive economic force – no, cost effective – no. lets just accept the democratic vote and get on with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

The EU does / did sod all that was any good for UK

It increased trade and boosted our economy.

It gave me freedom of movement so I could work abroad.

It made my neighbourhood more international and enriched my life.

It allowed me to meet my wife too.

Viewing 40 posts - 29,441 through 29,480 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.