Viewing 40 posts - 11,561 through 11,600 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

OK but what has that got to do with the FTSE performance for a £-based investor – my question above?

GrahamS

I think (and again I am no economist) that the point about the FTSE is that folk boasting about it being at a record high, as some kind of sign that everything is going brilliantly are being misleading (deliberately or otherwise).

As I understand it the FTSE is only at a record high because the pound is at a record low. Companies on the FTSE are valued in pounds so the low value means it needs more pounds to express the same “value”. It doesn’t mean those companies are doing any better.

Is that right?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

FTSE up = better pension fund performance = bigger dividends = bigger city trader margins = **** all for the working poor…. oh and very cheap deals for overseas investors in land and properties which = you guessed it **** all for the working poor

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Love it when a plan comes together… some people are getting very very rich very very quickly at the moment

oldnpastit

Binners – member
    How do you reckon the mood music coming out of number ten is sounding to them at the moment? Soothing? Comforting? Reassuring? Or absolutely ****ing terrifying?!!

+1

Same problem here in Cambridge with highly skilled people from outside the UK at the place I work.

I’ve asked my MP what I’m supposed to say to them, as I certainly have no idea.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True Graham, but I was responding to FFs graph. If I am a £-based investor I am interested in the £ return. I am less/not concerned about the performance in $s

Tough life old man, tough life…

kimbers

we took back control !

I think it all seemed so clear in his head when he decided to call in

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/which-eu-law-are-you-looking-forward-to-losing/

zokes
    Free Member

Not true although it did decline a lot under bLair (not Maggie as zokes suggested before)

Please give me some examples of large scale manufacturing in the UK that doesn’t involve foreign multinationals…

[/quote]

Annoyingly he’s actually correct. As much as I loathe the witch, it seems that it actually declined at a lower rate under Maggie than it did both before and after her reign (of terror 😉 )

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m sure companies listed on the Zimbabwean stock exchange trade for millions of Zim dollars.

Doesn’t potentially mean much in other currencies though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

bloody hell zokes, chapeau!

(tbh, I was confident in the Fatcha bit but was taken aback at decline under bLiar myself. I knew the trend but not the numbers under the tanned-one when we “discussed” this a few pages back!)

zokes
    Free Member

bloody hell zokes, chapeau!

I find these debates are often more constructive when commenters freely admit when they are wrong.

And @kimbers. I bet he wished he’d not bothered 😆

kimbers

no wait, the royal yacht will save us all from Brexit !!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37622924

how the f–k have we ended up with clowns like this running the country? 😥

cchris2lou

are they for real ?

this is hilarious .

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey, the BBC are struggling to explain the bleeding obvious. Ok kamal is not as bad as Peston but he is struggling with even basic ideas eg surprised when reporting how MPC member describes a falling £ as a stimulus. Doh…

Where is Flanders when you need her!!!

unknown
    Free Member

Royal yacht? Royal **** yacht? We’re really through the looking glass now. I mean politicians have always been remote, generally crap and self-interested but it’s like a collective madness has taken hold of them. Really beyond parody.

Daffy

Thanks to the dropping exchange rate, I’m now paid 1/3rd of what I would be in the US…thanks, Bretards!

GrahamS

What are the government playing at?

If we are going to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world then it’s pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that we’re going to need a yacht.

That’s just good business. 😆

kimbers

IDS was particularly bonkers calling kier starmer a 2nd rate lawyer yesterday, IDS’s legacy of failure has left a huge swathe of misery behind him, claiming starmer was 2nd rate was pretty unbelievable, Im not sure any of them have a fking clue

br
    Free Member

Politicians remote? Self-interested?

Our local MP visited us at work. His remit includes the Environment. He drives an Audi Q7…

binners

“I believe if Brexit is going to mean successful Brexit, it should also mean the return of our royal yacht,”

Finger on the pulse there.

I appear to have entered some sort of weird parallel universe

An unbelievably shit one.

Presently featuring John ****ing Redwood talking utter and complete bollocks on Newsnight

John ****ing Redwood?!!

FFS!!!!!

el_boufador

I do really hope the current position of #10 is a bluff (or maybe a kind of semi-bluff.)
    The bluff: At this point, before we have invoked a50, is it better for EU officials to think we are not serious? or is it better for them to think we are ready to go ahead regardless for hard brexit? I would say the latter, because it strengthens our negotiating position in the event of an actual a50 invocation.

The semi-bluff: this course of action scares the shit out of investors causing economic issues. The, er, ‘benefit’ (from a retainer’s perspective) is that this scares the shit out of the public enough (maybe also hitting them in the pocket through rising prices) public demand a climb down.

That’s what I am hoping for anyway.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Thanks to the dropping exchange rate, I’m now paid 1/3rd of what I would be in the US…thanks, Bretards!

I had to pay for a wedding out there in July. That was a lovely last minute price hike.

Just about to go to another mates wedding in NY. Now three days over there instead of four as those hotels are spendy!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

If we are going to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world then it’s pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that we’re going to need a yacht

Britain’s very own ship of fools

cchris2lou

I think you meant finger on the trigger.

How long does it take to go to China on a yatch?
    With a bit of luck, those foreign workers will forget a weld or two and the ship will sink with the Brexiters on board.

kimbers

me too, either may is a machiavellan genius, or shes just picked a bunch of clowns to do the most important political jobs in a generation

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_yGobakiL4[/video]

el_boufador

I don’t think she is stupid.

I think the only European response will be to play hardball too.

GrahamS

public demand a climb down.

Nah I think you can forget any chance of that now.

There are too many important people with their flies down already: we’re getting shafted whether we like it or not.

Klunk
    Free Member
    Nipper99
    Free Member

John Redwood on Newsnight still pedalling the belief that the EU will be so desperate to sell their cheese and wine they will give us whatever we want.

el_boufador

Depends how pear shaped it goes and how quickly. If it goes very very pear shaped…riots etc… It isn’t out of the question next year maybe.

Alternatively if the leavers were right all along and we call the EU’s bluff (get better deal) then that is not a bad outcome, but terrifying at present.

Not trying to say what will happen, just thinking about the potential scenarios.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

From Klunk’s link:

Jacob Rees-Mogg, a eurosceptic Conservative MP, accused the Treasury of “talking the economy down”.

“I thought it was bad enough during the campaign, but the Treasury is now undermining the Prime Minister. This is really serious.

😀

Are we sure we are not actually in an Armando Iannuchi/Charlie Brooker comedy experiment?

el_boufador

Hmmm from links link Davis said: “succession of treasury briefings that are damaging negotiations”.

And I actually agree with that as per previous bluff statement. If we say we might be in the shit then that weakens our position. If we say “no, we’re all good regardless”… Better negotiating position even if it that would be a lie

Northwind

Other ministers accused the Treasury of putting Britain’s economic stability at risk by “talking down the economy” at a time when the value of the pound is plummeting.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If we say we might be in the shit then that weakens our position.

lying is hardly a strong position especially when they know its a lie;The EU are not stupid

Klunk
    Free Member

And I actually agree with that as per previous bluff statement. If we say we might be in the shit then that weakens our position. If we say “no, we’re all good regardless”… Better negotiating position even if it that would be a lie

yeah the EU and it’s member countries are just a bunch of thick as shit foreigners, so thick as not work it out for themselves or even pick up the phone and call the IMF to see if they have any idea what the result of hard brexit might be (for both the EU and UK). 🙄

Klunk
    Free Member

unpatriotic and subversive

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hang on can anyone spot the huge irony on that front page….
    “Fury as Minister says £55bn rail line WILL be built – despite the protests”

not even worth troubling the swear filter you know what I think of them

igm

Is Bremoaners a play on Brexiters or remainers or something in between? Oh and I’ve thought of another mindless insult that’ll help calm everyone down – Brexitwits. So funny.

cchris2lou – Member
    I think you meant finger on the trigger.
    How long does it take to go to China on a yatch?
    With a bit of luck, those foreign workers will forget a weld or two and the ship will sink with the Brexiters on board.

To be fair last time we took a boat to China they gave us the opium concession.

alpin
    Free Member

Yeah, but that is wot made us great Britain, innit mate…

Viewing 40 posts - 11,561 through 11,600 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.