Viewing 40 posts - 9,161 through 9,200 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • binners

I just heard that my dad, an otherwise intelligent man with a phd, voted leave ‘as a protest vote’. He didn’t think for a second they’d actually win..

words…fail…me

I’m presently working with an intelligent and competent bloke who did exactly this, for the same reason, and was then amazed when the leave lot won. When he told me this, I don’t think I did a very good job at disguising my utter contempt for the total stupidity involved in doing something so incredibly self-destructively dense. The words ‘utter’, ‘end’. ‘you’ and’ bell’ may have been uttered, but not necessarily in that order

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I STILL WANT A ****ING PLAN! it’s not an unreasonable request, what are we going to do no flowery global trade bollocks! What are we going to make, sell dig out of the ground and to whom exactly do we sell this phantom stuff so we can really give the exit voters a better future

igm

The exit voters aren’t getting a better future. At least not the poorer ones.

DrJ
    GrahamS

So this is trending on my Facebook feed:

https://www.facebook.com/EUNoThanks/posts/615446028633824

Followed by some comments from Brexiteers explaining that they were not racially motivated, that they were voting against the EU not against Europeans and they felt that the racist thing was an ungrounded slur from the Remain camp.

All in all a nice sentiment.

Somewhat undone by some of the other comments, such as:

We who voted to leave the eu did it for a reason and one of these reasons was to get out of this country all foreign immigrants so if you don’t like it **** off.

But its ok for them to shout abuse and force there deceitfull hate full Islamic stone age cult on the real British !

How you expect patriotic English people to react to this ? Teresa May already says sharia law is good for uk…wtf…how is it good ? If we went to another country and put our religion and laws before their’s, how you think the natives would react to that ? Don’t preach about stuff you know **** all about

tell the muslins that

How come nothing said about Muslims attacking people is that ok

Stop confusing patriotism with racism. I want my country back, I do not want English to become a second language or churches to remove crosses to appease other RELIGIONS, not races.

*sigh*

thecaptain
    Free Member

The plan is to dick around talking bollocks for a while until the ongoing economic consequences are overwhelmingly clear to everyone, at which point whoever is left holding the hot potato will have a humiliating climb down on their hands.

The only risk is that some Tory zealot does something irreversible like invoke article 50 as some sort of demonstration of strength. At which point we are all royally **** for decades.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“The plan is to dick around talking bollocks for a while until the ongoing economic consequences are overwhelmingly clear to everyone, at which point whoever is left holding the hot potato will have a humiliating climb down on their hands.”

This, although it might or might not be done in a slightly more slick way.

GEDA
    Free Member

I got a job in Sweden and my kids have free nursery, free school meals, health care, excellent public transport. Thanks eu freedom of movement.

Nipper99
    Free Member

What do you do GEDA?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Good news for you GEDA :

Poll: Sweden still wants to stay in EU after Brexit vote

Although exactly the same pollsters claimed 4 weeks earlier :

Poll: Majority of Swedes want to leave EU in case of Brexit

So who knows what they’ll come up with in another 4 weeks?

igm

Have we done the 245-2 commons motion to allow EU nationals too stay in the UK?

It is at least decisive – although (wait for it) non-binding

footflaps

“The plan is to dick around talking bollocks for a while until the ongoing economic consequences are overwhelmingly clear to everyone, at which point whoever is left holding the hot potato will have a humiliating climb down on their hands.”

Probably the best strategy.

Unless they need another Referendum, in which case the retarded / racist masses will probably still vote out, as they’ll be now blaming their new found unemployment / destitution on Romanians for ‘tricking’ them into voting out the first time round.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Have we done the 245-2 commons motion to allow EU nationals too stay in the UK?

It is at least decisive – although (wait for it) non-binding

“Acquired rights”.

phiiiiil

Who were the two?!

binners

Probably my MP was one of them. He’s a horrible nasty, bigoted, rabidly anti-EU, racist, homophobic Tory ****!!!

Edukator
    Free Member

Junior now has a French Bac and a German Abitur, the vision lives on in some places.

corroded
    Free Member

When he told me this, I don’t think I did a very good job at disguising my utter contempt for the total stupidity involved in doing something so incredibly self-destructively dense.

Same here – got a London-born and -bred freelancer who did the same thing working for me. He came in on Friday and couldn’t understand that nobody else in our company had done the same thing. Because we’re not idiots. He won’t work for us again but I’m sure he’ll find work easily enough in the brave new world he voted for. I’m only slightly regretful because I lent him my umbrella to get home in Thursday’s storms.

igm

Don’t know who the two were, but Johnston and Carswell were in the 245.

br
    Free Member

Don’t know who the two were, but Johnston and Carswell were in the 245.

Two folk protesting about something not connected to the vote? 😉

Nipper99
    Free Member

Congratulations Edukator.

Edukator
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll pass on your kind words, Nipper.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Did Alex Salmond vote ? He said earlier in the week we should NOT give Europeans the right to remain, I am guessing as a negotiation stance ?

Nipper99
    Free Member

DC didn’t vote.

aracer
    Free Member

What a great point – why has everybody else missed that? So in order to limit immigration we just have to have a recession. Brexit has provided us with a recession. QED.

sbob
    Free Member

binners – Member

Probably my MP was one of them. He’s a horrible nasty, bigoted, rabidly anti-EU, racist, homophobic Tory ****!!!

Did you vote for him?

wilburt
    Free Member

The net contribution of migration may be positive but the benefits are largely realised by buisenesses and the shareholders who are buffered from the costs born by people already at the pointy end of life.

Its inequality caused by succesive right wing goverments who are really just agents of business and an ineffective opposition which long ago stopped representing average joe.

Britain (well England) needs some decent leadership but there is none on the horizon. At the moment whilst we have some respect for tackling the problem, our approach and chaotic outcomes are making us a laughing stock.

binners

Did you vote for him?

Hazard a guess? 😉

He’s sat on a huge majority of 120 votes (which went to 2 recounts). Most of the people I know find him an absolute embarrassment. This is one of his prouder moments. He tabled a private members bill to bring back hanging, and he voted against gay marriage as he’s a hardcore christian headbanger who believes its a sin against god. It kind of goes without saying he strongly campaigned for Leave.

I often wonder who voted for him. But if you sit at the bar in my local (which I, like a lot of people, won’t go in any more) you can listen to the delightful local inbred ****-wits blaming the ills of the country on ‘****’s’, ‘****’ and ‘Queers’.

While you’re hazarding guesses on voting patterns, take another wild stab in the dark about how they all voted in the referendum? These are the very people – nasty, bigoted unapologetic racists – who’s votes were actively courted by Johnson, Gove and co, and now feel their views have been legitimised, and represent the acceptance by the mainstream

So well done on that Brexiteers! Take a bow, and join us all in a rousing rendition of ‘SEND THEM BACK….” as we hurtle back to the 1970’s

GrahamS

So well done on that Brexiteers! Take a bow, and join us all in a rousing rendition of ‘SEND THEM BACK….” as we hurtle back to the 1970’s

Literal quote from the aforementioned “Leave are not racists” FB post:

“Exactly why are they being allowed to live here they should be kicked out and their families.

When do we start kicking them out”

😕

Incidentally, since most of the anti-immigration focus seems to be on “the Muslins”, do we have any numbers on how many Muslims have actually come the UK through EU migration compared to non-EU migration, refugees, asylum seekers etc?

i.e. will leaving the EU actually do much to address their perceived “Muslim problem”?

I’m not in a very diverse area here, but I think most of the Muslims we know are from non-EU countries.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@binner appreciate all that but don’t you think we should address current issues without inflaming the situation with further uncontrolled immigration and EU expansion ? This is a known problem which has been swept under the carpet for years, now its blown up in our faces.

DaRC_L

So as the UK voted Leave – do we have to ban anyone not living in the UK from contributing to this thread?
    Do ex-pats have to be repatriated?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

appreciate all that but don’t you think we should address current issues without inflaming the situation with further uncontrolled immigration and EU expansion ?

What if the issue is only an issue as it’s being blown out of proportion and used as a political tool? In other words should we be doing what the racists want as opposed to what is right?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“since most of the anti-immigration focus seems to be on “the Muslins””

I don’t think this is true.

I don’t have figures but I’m pretty sure the vast majority of incomers are from Europe and the same race as “Native” English people. (Native is, itself, nonsense because we’re all mixed race really but I can’t think of another way to say it.)

GrahamS

I don’t think this is true.

Just going from what I’ve heard anecdotally. Every single negative comment on that FB post was directed towards Muslims.

Granted I’ve also seen a fair bit of anti Eastern European stuff, particularly directed towards Poles. But I’ve not (yet) seen anyone saying we need to deport French/German/Italian/Spanish citizens.

I should clarify I’m talking here about the drooling racist “anti-immigration focus” – not the more general concern over immigration control.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“Every single negative comment on that FB post was directed towards Muslims”

That’s just your circle of friends. I’ve seen and heard none of that. Although I did hear Brown have a pop at non EU immigration, but that was as an attempt to deflect attention away from EU immigration.

GrahamS

That’s just your circle of friends.

No, I don’t know anyone on that post – it was a public post from https://www.facebook.com/EUNoThanks/

Similarly the post-referendum marches through Newcastle by EDL/Northen Infidels/National Front seemed to heavily focussed on send Muslims home.

I’ve seen and heard none of that.

Go have a read of it – though you won’t like what you find 🙁

binners

I’m afraid that most of the ‘immigration concerns’ I saw could be summarised as ‘stop beardy, shouty, explodey murdery rapists coming here!’ Not that I’m suggesting for a second that the leave campaign encouraged that thinly veiled racist perception in any way, obviously….

DanW
    Free Member

Granted I’ve also seen a fair bit of anti Eastern European stuff, particularly directed towards Poles. But I’ve not (yet) seen anyone saying we need to deport French/German/Italian/Spanish citizens.

There’s been a ton of stuff in the media directed at Polish people, Romanians, etc. You are right though, I can’t recall anything negative in the general media towards French/German/Italian/Spanish citizens which seems to highlight that the common conception of “the immigration problem” is directed towards people who aren’t quite similar enough to “us” not being welcome.

Were Italians not the largest or second largest group of EU nationals coming to the UK? I don’t know the exact numbers but it isn’t as though it would make any difference to a lot of people’s perceptions of immigration anyway

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I heard farage was going to move onto other real world issues like giants and things that go bump in the night.

kimbers

A lot of the anti muslim stuff is from your standard Britain First douchebag

Vote Leave were more than happy to count on their votes, court them with lies about Turkish immigrants and rely on them to mobilise the vote in certain areas

and yet wash their hands of any responsibility when it comes to the poisonous legacy of their propaganda

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36513022

(yes, we all know that not all 52% were raving racists, but I refer you to Billy Brag)

Nipper99
    Free Member

There was a plan after all.

Brexiter’s excuses increasingly bollocks

Viewing 40 posts - 9,161 through 9,200 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.