Viewing 40 posts - 46,001 through 46,040 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • mattyfez

Good old Hunt – apparently ‘threats by business’ are inappropriate (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44593095). You couldn’t make this up!

Thing is they are not threats, they are a business and won’t hesitate to relocate if it means lower costs and fewer trade barriers.

They are already making plans, and starting to act in some cases which is a lot more than the UK government has been doing for the past two years.

kimbers

Hunt got pwnd by Marr as he used his own quotes against him.

Obviously hunt is an idiot, but his position is that of the Brexiters & May

mrmo
    Free Member
    igm

In other news the makers of “Where’s Wally?” are threatening to sue as the hunt starts in earnest for the British Foreign Secretary.

kimbers

thats right hes hiding in Kabhul

binners

Where are the bloody Taliban when you need them, eh?

cchris2lou

long way to go to hide from the Heathrow vote.

binners

Comes to something when you’d rather fly into a war zone than be exposed as the spineless, opportunistic fraud that you clearly  are?

jimster01

Ah, discussing a trade deal are we?

cchris2lou

opium ?

chickenman

Nationwide search for a visually impaired bulldozer driver continues…..

cchris2lou

#findBoris

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MIA along with Borris

Lets face it would would have been shocked to see him there

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

In my 20s I thought people in positions of senior Managment  were smart and clever.

In my 30s I thought I could be one of them

In my 40s I sort of became one of then

In my 50s I know most of them got there by circumstance rather than ability or inheritance or privilege.

The older I get the more I realise that the Moggs Boris Davies Fox May ( I can go on) are just basically “shite” at what they do.

thecaptain
    Free Member

“visually impaired”? I’d want the bulldozer to be driven by someone fully capable of doing a decent job of it!

chestrockwell

Fully agree old man. I have come to realise that plenty of people hold plenty of power without having really done anything to earn it. Happens at work, happens in government, no doubt happens most places. It takes you getting a bit older to realise.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Fully agree old man. I have come to realise that plenty of people hold plenty of power without having really done anything to earn it. Happens at work, happens in government, no doubt happens most places. It takes you getting a bit older to realise.

I realised that as soon as I went to secondary school….

Klunk
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

In my 50s I know most of them got there by circumstance rather than ability or inheritance or privilege.

The older I get the more I realise that the Moggs Boris Davies Fox May ( I can go on) are just basically “shite” at what they do.

What I’m finding now is there are a lot of people who are in senior positions who are there on merit and ability in business, part of that in knowing how to play the game which is a skill set in itself. Politics is a very different game that just isn’t appealing to a lot of people.

binners

Politicians have always been prone to being economical with the truth, but this modern populism of the likes of Trump, Farage and Johnson has taken us to a whole new level.

These principle-free, morally bankrupt snake oil salesman will just stand there and shamefully tell bare-faced lie after bare-faced lie, knowing full well they’re telling bare-faced lie after bare-faced lie, with not a care in the world as to the consequences as long as their own ends are met.

Boris Johnson has known all along that Brexit is going to be an absolute catastrophe. He just doesn’t care!

Like the rest of his uber-priveledged ilk, as with the banking crisis before, he’ll be safely insulated by power and wealth from its calamitous economic effects

its all just a game

molgrips
    Free Member

Trump is a cut above even Farage and Johnson.  The only other person I’ve seen that’s comparable is that Information Minister from the Iraq war, Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf .

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Trump is a cut above even Farage and Johnson. The only other person I’ve seen that’s comparable is that Information Minister from the Iraq war, Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf .

HAH! Very astute comparison Molgrips.

tomd
    Free Member

The Tories are hitting new lows really. Airbus etc aren’t making threats they’re taking action. The 2019 capital budgets for all their UK sites will have been drawn up by now and it’s as simple and moving money from one row in a spread sheet to another (non UK) row. I would imagine they’ll be investing in those sites at less than the cost of annual renewals so effectively running them down.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not strictly EU related, but in the times we are in, I sometimes remember Paxman’s famous newsnight interview of Michael Howard. Back then politicians would avoid answering the question at any cost (in Howard’s case, 12 times) because answering truthfully would incriminate them and lying in a tv interview was kind of considered a bit of a no-no. (Not saying it didn’t happen but ministers tried to stick to a code.) Now they just think “**** it, I’ll lie and brazen it out tomorrow…” Howard’s 1997 interview now looks like one of the most honourable interviews ever 😆 and how we all guffawed at it back then.

kimbers

fascinating reading about the Toyota plant in swindon

2m components arrive each day, eu order take 5-24 hours to arrive

from outside the CU it takes 2-9 days

a warehouse big enough to house 9 days of parts would be nearly as big as NASAs vehicle assembly building

https://www.ft.com/content/8f46b0d4-77b6-11e8-8e67-1e1a0846c475

binners

The main problem with Brexit seems to be that main players involved (as perfectly illustrated by with be-mopped half-wits “**** business” comment the other day) not only have absolutely no comprehension of such things as supply chains, they seem to revel in their wilful ignorance.

But thats what happens, I suppose, when you’ve had enough of experts

bikebouy
    Free Member

Will LyingBloHard lie down in front of the first bulldozer?

Thats all I’m interested in.

Anyone read the UBS survey?

Its gone to both MayBot and the Treasury and was issued at the recent Mansion House liefest.

Makes for interesting reading.

Best get ready.

Debt recovery will be the biggest growth industry.

AD

Good ol’ Boris further demonstrates his expertise when it comes to business: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44618154

theotherjonv

yet the gammons will love it, because the business leaders ‘are only doing it to derail the will of the people’

Well let me ‘express scepticism’ at the capability of some of those who profess to be running this shambles with a hearty **** brexit, **** the government, and above all **** you Boris you ****

mattyfez

Debt recovery will be the biggest growth industry.

Heh. What are they going to collect when the cash flow between business slows to the flow of treacle or stops and company directors start declaring themselves bankrupt?

Not liquid assets that’s for sure. 1st born?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Property….

mattyfez

I wonder how many business premises are truly owned by the business as opposed to rented or some other arrangement. How many businesses that do ‘own’ are actually mortgaged premises with not much paid off..

It’s a complete house of cards that could verily easily unravel once the cash flow starts to dry up or stops.

binners

Now the Tory party is actively hostile to the interests of U.K. business you realise that their full transformation into UKIP is now complete

kimbers

Brexit didn’t have to destroy the tories credibility with business

& Ironically May can push thru a soft business friendly brexit (& those idiot Brexiteers even prevented themselves voting against it if she did)

But the damage has been done, every day Johnson remains foreign sec is another kick in their nuts.

Meanwhile wonder what the American Embassy team make of brexshit

mrmo
    Free Member

I wonder how many business premises are truly owned by the business as opposed to rented or some other arrangement. How many businesses that do ‘own’ are actually mortgaged premises with not much paid off..

My admittedly limited experience is that most big businesses I have worked for don’t own freeholds, they have either flogged them to get cash and then leased back, have never owned them and lease them off a landlord. etc.

For a lot of businesses owning their premises doesn’t actually make much sense. If you own a shop or a factory and need to expand or contract selling the site can be harder than walking away from the lease.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Meh, once it happens I might start a BrexitJerryofTheDay instagram feed – with that as the first post Kimbers, followed by gifs of every crying laid off brexiter that pops up on tv that I can get my hands on.

#idiocracy

At least the tories can never call themselves the party of business ever again.

How long till we are a leftist banana republic or fascist police state then? 5 years? I reckon the nastyness is going to ramp up when it all goes to shit and the cretin masses decide to blame the EU and foreigners for the mess they got themselves in, just like the Germans blamed Jews for the way things went after the great war and between the wars.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/16/brexiters-tend-to-dislike-uncertainty-and-love-routine-study-says

You have to admit, the “routine loving” turkeys voting for chaos is fairly amusing isn’t it? More evidence that this is going to backfire politically as well as economically, if we do a hard leave.

athgray
    Free Member

kimbers, I find that clip very unnerving. These are neutral, hard headed diplomats, ascertaining the UK and EU position, ultimately to discern how this affects relations with their own country. Their summation that the UK has made an arse of it is sobering (however I know expected). I like the club analogy.

On the other side I cannot imagine a Brexit conference that would calm my fears. A moody David Davis would threaten to take the ball away. Jacob Rees Moog would proclaim the sanctity of the unborn child, unless the child was in the womb of an African woman in a dinghy in the middle of the Mediterranean. A grainy video conference would be taking place with a khaki helmeted Boris, trying to conduct trade deals whilst in in Kabul with the brown people. ”I can’t hear you. How did the Heathrow deal go? What What? Whiff Whaff?

Nigel Garage would try to silence everyone in the room because the football is on the tele, and there a legion of England fans keen to get it right up the Belgians by singing a few light hearted Brexit songs.

mattyfez

most big businesses I have worked for don’t own freeholds, they have either flogged them to get cash and then leased back, have never owned them and lease them off a landlord. etc.

That’s what I was kind of alluding to, if the debt collectors can’t seize property from broken companies, because they it’s not technically a company asset, what are they going to seize exactly? Defunct plant & machinery? And sell at a huge loss? Who’s gonna buy it?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

kimbers, I find that clip very unnerving. These are neutral, hard headed diplomats, ascertaining the UK and EU position, ultimately to discern how this affects relations with their own country. Their summation that the UK has made an arse of it is sobering (however I know expected). I like the club analogy.

On the other side I cannot imagine a Brexit conference that would calm my fears. A moody David Davis would threaten to take the ball away. Jacob Rees Moog would proclaim the sanctity of the unborn child, unless the child was in the womb of an African woman in a dinghy in the middle of the Mediterranean. A grainy video conference would be taking place with a khaki helmeted Boris, trying to conduct trade deals whilst in in Kabul with the brown people. ”I can’t hear you. How did the Heathrow deal go? What What? Whiff Whaff?

Nigel Garage would try to silence everyone in the room because the football is on the tele, and there a legion of England fans keen to get it right up the Belgians by singing a few light hearted Brexit songs.

Look on the bright side, this is going to give us enough “I told you so” comments to last a lifetime.

Make them know that they were the harbingers of their own suffering my friends, make them know. Watch with glee when the tears come flowing when they get made redundant from their shitty factory jobs up North.

Viewing 40 posts - 46,001 through 46,040 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.