Viewing 40 posts - 40,401 through 40,440 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Leaving aside the untruth (tut,tut) about doesn’t mean anything, I prefer to look at it from a different perspective I have been in many negotiations and if any of my team were foolish enough to misunderstand what was binding and not binding I would fire them for incompetence on the spot.

Was the referendum legally binding?

ninfan
    Free Member

long term peace (in Western Europe at least)

Yep, all down to the EU, nowt at all to do with those British and American tanks sitting on the Rhine for seventy years

mattyfez

Was the referendum legally binding?

This should hopefully explain how legally binding the referendum was.

Spoiler alert, it’s not legally binding.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

#FakeNews #WillOfThePeople #EnimiesOfTheState

El-bent
    Free Member

Yep, all down to the EU, nowt at all to do with those British and American tanks sitting on the Rhine for seventy years

Yeah, cause those 2500 or so German tanks also sitting on the Rhine only existed in peoples imaginations. 🙄

ninfan
    Free Member

cause those 2500 or so German tanks also sitting on the Rhine

Who do you think our and the American ones were really there to keep in the box?

Edukator
    Free Member

Who do you think our and the American ones were really there to keep in the box?

Having worked on a tank base in Munster, Germany in 1980 I can report that all the people I spoke to only had one perceived threat to deal with, the USSR.

airtragic
    Free Member

I think ninfan’s making the point that NATO kept the peace in Western Europe against the threat, not the EU.

igm

Ninfan is correct in that those NATO forces were part of the solution.
    Unfortunately for ninfan he is using the same argument that the NRA use in America to suggest that lots of guns prevents gun crime.
    There also needs to be a political, economic and cultural will not to use those tanks on other Western European countries.
    As Edukator says that will existed in the 1980s. The equivalent will did not exist in the 1910s, a time when there was also a fair amount of armament kicking round in Europe – quite the reverse in fact. And that huge amount of armament did not prevent WWI.

So sorry ninfan if you’re resorting to an international version of the NRA gun control argument, you’ve already lost.

Edukator
    Free Member

In which case Ninfan has missed out the French tanks in Germany, unless he includes them in “our” as part of the EU.

tjagain

I have a magic way of stopping tiger attacks. I stuff pencils up my nose. I have never been attacked by a tiger which is proof it works

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

While UK politicians drown in BS and self indulgent posturing at least we can turn to the Italian PM for a dose of common sense

Bravo Paulo Gentiloni.

nickc

And what do you think that the creation of the Coal agreement in the 1950, did to prevent war between the two traditional western European superpowers. a) did not provide a reassurance of peace, or b) prevented war, which up until that point had happened 3 times in recent memory?

GrahamS

Probably worth reviewing Churchill’s 1946 speech.

He seemed to think peace would need more than tanks and he called for a “United States of Europe” …”which could give a sense of enlarged patriotism and common citizenship” …”to re-create the European Family, or as much of it as we can, and provide it with a structure under which it can dwell in peace, in safety and in freedom.”

slowoldman

There also needs to be a political, economic and cultural will not to use those tanks on other Western European countries.

This!!

There is no doubt in my mind at all that closer trade and political ties between European nations diminishes the possibility of conflict between them (nothing to do with Russia).

mefty
    Free Member

In which case Ninfan has missed out the French tanks in Germany, unless he includes them in “our” as part of the EU.

He just mentioned those under NATO military command.

airtragic
    Free Member

Igm, WWI broke out between 2 military alliances. During the Cold War, the nations of Western Europe (and more importantly North America) were united in the same military alliance. I’d suggest that the political union that became the EU certainly played its part in meshing them together, but NATO (and it’s nuclear weapons more than its tanks) was the decisive factor in stopping the Cold War turning hot.
    Tj, you can make that argument against any military deterrence task. Deterrent is better than war, no?

Edukator
    Free Member

He just mentioned those under NATO military command.

The tanks down the rhine after WWII were there four years before NATO existed, and they were US, French and British. Ninfan needs to more clearly explain what he’s talking about.

Anyhow, as others have said, there has been peace in Europe during the EU years and as nations join the peaceful area expands. The lack of trade wars is major factor in peace, or looking at another way trade tensions have previously contributed to friction and war.

Britain’s politicians have spent the last 18 months declaring a trade war on the EU witl clearly stated plans to tip the playing field in the UK’s favour by making labour and taxes cheaper and dismantling legislation thats “hampers” industry through better, healthier and safer working condtions. And the safety of food, drugs… .

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No they have not. In fact the whole past week saw the issue of what equivalence etc. might meant etc

Our regulatory regime across many sectors will remain closely aligned. Why wouldn’t it? It would be stupid to have domestic standards that differed a lot from those in export markets.

More unnecessary scare stories

GrahamS

It would be stupid to have domestic standards that differed a lot from this in export markets.

Doesn’t that mostly apply to physical goods though THM?

The goods we export will still have to meet certain standards in the countries we export to, so it makes sense to stay closely aligned there.

But as far as I know there is nothing to say that, for example, the workers making those goods need to abide by an equivalent of the European Working Time Directive. Is there?

binners

Has the right-wing press gone into meltdown this morning? Does the Daily Heil have the single word TRAITORS!!! as a headline, with the rebels photographs and a snipers cross-hairs over the top of them?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No services is another obvious example. The UK has been at the forefront of regulatory developments in financial services and our regulation is closely aligned with EU

(In specific areas there is some regulatory arbitrage across Europe and there will still be room for fudges with Basel 4 regulation)

Hence the EBA and EMA stories were massively exaggerated for effect.

kimbers

I don’t honestly think Davies can do anything right now. He’s like a spider that’s had all its legs pulled off.

🙂

I think what we are seeing again and again is that Labour are running a much tighter ship than the Tories can dream of right now, it was the same in the election, Corbyn drove the narrative and The Tories just u-turned & squabbled, May has been undermined by her Brexiteer MPs at every turn (Patel, Gove, Johnson, Mogg, etc)
    while safely out of power Labour were able to maintain their constructive ambiguity (good one DD!) over Brexit and ran a far more disciplined, yet genuine campaign.
    Yesterday only 2 Labour MPs defied the whip, the Tories were lucky it was only 11 and now bitter recriminations are being lashed out as May has to go to Brussels looking even weaker.

Funny thing is a year ago we were being told it was Labour in chaos & the Tories were all about strength & stability !

kimbers

Double post, but see also the sex scandal stiff labour have chakrabati’d their scandals while May has Damien Green locked in a cupboard somewhere, unsure when to let him out for fear of the kick-back (and presumably a big pile of crusty tissues to deal with)

Edukator
    Free Member

No they have not.

I was quoting the foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, the best source of government policy for foreigners:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/15/exclusive-boris-johnson-yes-will-take-back-350m-eu-nhs/

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So we end up with Labour delivering Brexshit – Jezza will be delighted at the strength of the underground momentum 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

No services is another obvious example. The UK has been at the forefront of regulatory developments in financial services and our regulation is closely aligned with EU

A few years ago Britain was trying to dismantle financial regulation from within the EU claiming it would increase EU GDP. Fortunately the other EU states realised it would only benefit the City and **** everyone else.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nope

tjagain

GrahamS – Member

But as far as I know there is nothing to say that, for example, the workers making those goods need to abide by an equivalent of the European Working Time Directive. Is there?

The EU have made it 100% clear that they will not allow undercutting by a reduction in standards. WTD may well come under that.

binners

Are we all enjoying the rebels/traitors being denounced for their disloyalty by the likes of John Redwood and Bill Cash?

You really couldn’t make it up, could you? 😆

GrahamS

But is there any reason that it has to be. Obviously customers in the EU will need to meet their own local legal requirements.

But if, as a hyperbolic example, a European customer uses a UK call centre service, do they (legally) care what hours the staff work, what equality laws protect them etc?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

How do we keep enough regulatory alginment with the EU such that there is no border in Ireland, but also be able to conduct trade deals with other counties, like the US for example, which may want to us to allow chlorine washed chicken (or something else illegal in the EU). What stops it going across the border into the EU? This whole thing seems impossible.

Democracy failed when David Cameron decided to hold the referendum and allow people to vote for something that isn’t (at the moment) possible to achieve.

GrahamS

The EU have made it 100% clear that they will not allow undercutting by a reduction in standards. WTD may well come under that.

I’d be interested to see how they will enforce that. Most of Europe (including the UK) seems happy enough to buy goods from countries where working conditions are less than ideal.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Hence the EBA and EMA stories were massively exaggerated for effect.

Oh, that’s good news. I hadn’t heard that they had cancelled their plans to leave.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Democracy failed when David Cameron decided to hold the referendum

😀

binners

Self-consumed malcontents 😆

tjagain

GrahamS – Member

I’d be interested to see how they will enforce that. Most of Europe (including the UK) seems happy enough to buy goods from countries where working conditions are less than ideal. [/quote]

The difference is that if there is undercutting / dumping from outside the EU the EU can put tarriffs on the products. This is the mechanism the EU will use if the UK tries it.

Edukator
    Free Member

The EU wil take the quality stuff from overseas to meet its standards and you can have the cheap rank rotten stuff that meets the UK’s lower standards.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On the contrary Ed your link does not support your incorrect observation. But thanks for falsifying your own point

That is the only thing that links with the idea of “every time”….

Deliberate twisting information Is very bad for informed debate.

Viewing 40 posts - 40,401 through 40,440 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.