Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Egypt turns off the Internet
  • Torminalis
    Free Member

It would appear that in preparation for a day of mass public uprising, the Egyptian authorities have shut down the four major ISPs in the country, reducing internet traffic to effectively nothing. Presumably to try and stop protesters coordinating their movements and organising themselves for the fight.

I doubt these uprisings throughout the Arab world would be happening were it not for the influence of the web on the masses to obtain information and to communicate across previously insuperable boundaries. Now they are shutting it down.

Everyone should spare a thought for Egypt today.

greenboy
    Free Member

I think every country should shut in down at least once a day and we’d get more work done!

But I take your point, it’s the beginning of the end for that government!

Jamie
    Free Member

Posted link on another thread, but for those interested:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2011/jan/28/egypt-protests-live-updates

…and for the more technical side of the 4 main ISPS cutting the wire as it were:

http://www.renesys.com/blog/2011/01/egypt-leaves-the-internet.shtml

Marmoset
    Free Member

Have they thought about how mant egyptian STW’ers there may be? If there’s lots then surely they’ve just encouraged them out onto the streets!

BigJohn

This could be the start of something in the Arab states, a bit like what happened with the fall of the communist dictatorships.

Egypt is regarded as the most open and tolerant of the Arab states so watch out for the end of the world as we know it.

iDave
    Free Member

I was getting news and videos via a FB page, which has totally disappeared in the last hour 😯

Jamie
    Free Member
    iDave
    Free Member
    anokdale
    Free Member

So here i am sat in Libya, both our neighbours have kicked off and Egypt with 80 million people are about to kick off big time with Yemen, Morroco, Algeria and the Oman all experiencing demos, interesting times ahead in the Arab World for sure with effects to be felt over the whole World.

Spare a thought for those on the streets because it will be messy before it gets better. Prayers have just ended here in Tripoli and the Mullas message was about Egypt and why the uprising is against Islam etc etc, funny that.

anokdale
    Free Member

I think if you want precedent look at Russia and the Former Yugoslavia, once one country gains success it spreads like wildfire.

chewkw
    Free Member

The fall of dictatorships then the vacuum will be filled by extremist creeping in slowly creating one huge nation.

😯

Jamie
    Free Member

chewkw:
    The fall of dictatorships then the vacuum will be filled by extremist creeping in slowly creating one huge nation.

Well, let’s not stop anything getting in the way of wild speculation eh?

iDave
    Free Member

yes of course chewkw, because ‘the arabs’ are just one big happy race, with no differences…. longing to unite

footflaps

/Daily Mail Mode On

and then they’ll all come here as immigrants demanding asylum, stealing our jobs, etc, etc….

/Daily Mail Mode Off

Trimix
    Free Member

Interesting times. I hope it stays public and dosent turn religious. Who knows what will pop up after the mess is over then.

The whole communication via the net is also intersting, but dont forget facebook / youtube etc are all US companys, I can see them thinking about the influence these channels have on the public – the same as when governements figured they could control newspapers and radios. Look at the stink some are creating at the closure of some of the world service and the increase of China radio etc.

chewkw
    Free Member

Not speculating but inevitable as they will unite under one religion. Then the “party” starts … 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

Not speculating but inevitable as they will unite under one religion. Then the “party” starts …

Unite under Islam? I am sure the Sunni and Shia factions would probably disagree with that.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Not speculating but inevitable as they will unite under one religion. Then the “party” starts ..

Riiiight, like all the Christian nations are lining up to band together?

richmtb

Right so there must be a Roman Catholic alliance spanning southern europe then… oh hang on no just Spain, France, Italy etc

iDave
    Free Member

france is hugely secular and Spain and Italy are sovereign states IIRC

chewkw
    Free Member

Yes, most religions has done so one time or another i.e. band together, so the cycle is returning somewhat. Never ends … 🙄

iDave
    Free Member

and now it seems that Mubarak turned off STW

Jamie
    Free Member

and now it seems that Mubarak turned off STW

Oh noes! Chewkw was right.

Time to go shopping for tinfoil and hats.

jon1973
    Free Member

I’m not sure the West can be completely absolved from blame when it come to trying to ‘Shut the internet up’ after all the Wikileaks fiasco.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

BBC Arabic correspondent was beaten by the police

http://twitpic.com/3u5sk0

mogrim

Interesting times. I hope it stays public and dosent turn religious. Who knows what will pop up after the mess is over then.

It will inevitably be religious at least in part, islam is a huge part of daily life in Egypt (and the rest of the arab states). Whether or not what we in the West would consider “fanatics” end up in power is another matter: the US is similarly religious and the government there is usually fairly moderate… (OK: Bush had his moments, but he wasn’t a Westboro Baptist Church type fanatic.)

mogrim

Yes, most religions has done so one time or another i.e. band together, so the cycle is returning somewhat. Never ends ..

You’ve got that one completely the wrong way round: religions usually split, not band together.

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh god, it’ll be Wales & Cornwall next, you mark my words!

mogrim

oh god, it’ll be Wales & Cornwall next, you mark my words!

Splitters!

iDave
    Free Member

I can see padstow wanting independence from the rest of cornwall though.

mogrim

It’ll all be the Forum Flouncer’s doing, I reckon.

iDave
    Free Member

Mubarak is now holed up in St Agnes

Torminalis
    Free Member

The police has been quite comprehensively defeated by the power of the people. – Just now on the BBC.

Gives me faith in humanity.

Torminalis
    Free Member

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

Live footage here, makes for compelling and scary viewing.

iDave
    Free Member

Wonder if Al Jazeera will cover similar events in Doha?

Cougar

The Guardian’s got some dramatic photography on their site.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/gallery/2011/jan/28/egypt-protests-cairo

chewkw
    Free Member

mogrim – Member

You’ve got that one completely the wrong way round: religions usually split, not band together.

Check again before they split.

🙄

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bush had his moments, but he wasn’t a Westboro Baptist Church type fanatic

No he was far worse. The WBC types are mainly just ranty nutters; Bush was the figurehead for a bunch of nutters with actual power…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Egypt turns off the Internet’ is closed to new replies.