Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Effective Lubrication in sub Zero temp
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I’ve been using TF2 Extreme Oil on my month old Cube, it’s not been ridden in anything other than sub zero temperatures. On one occasion both mech’s froze solid, wouldn’t shift, and after a quick dose of de icer they were fine, to be fair I had washed the bike the afternoon before in sub zero temperature, dried off and put in garage.

Is ‘normal’ bike oil good enough for these temperatures??

Tracker1972
    Free Member

It would seem it is, if the only time it froze was when it had water on/in it. I doubt you could dry all the nooks and crannies effectively.

DickBarton

Agree with trekster. Riding in sub zero temps will have components freezing if any moisture is there, no matter how much lube you use…

spock
    Free Member

best thing to do is spray a little wd40/gt85 on the pivots and bushings of the front and rear mechs so there isn’t any water to freeze

brant
    Free Member

Best thing to do is not let your bike defrost. Keep it outside at low temperature.
    Problems occur when you warm the bike up, then take it out again.

Trekster

DickBarton – Member
    Agree with trekster

Thanks Dick but it is Tracker you are agreeing with 🙂

My cure is to not wash bike, wait till it dries, brush off any trail dirt, lube with WD40/GT85 or TS2 sprays to displace water and then a light oil eg 3-in-one which is easy to carry and re-apply as needed.
    imo some of the thicker bike specific oil do not penetrate into mech pivots.
    Another trick is to warm oils in hot water or on a radiator to thin them before applying.

lipseal
    Free Member

Newcastle brown ale is best, have you tried your new shoes out big fella? 😉

Trekster

Na, long day and night yesterday, having a lazy day before work tomorrow 🙄

lipseal
    Free Member

Sorry Trekster that was ment for geordiemick…. 😆

DickBarton

Ah bottoms…serves me right for trying to browse and respond on my mobile…must reader slower!

Sorry…

martinxyz
    Free Member

i dont lube the chain in this sub zero snowy conditions. i dont ride on roads (salt) so all i do is wipe the chain before going out and its stays rust free,no squeaking,shifting perfect,not collecting crap and wear-wise? seems as good if not better than all the oiled up winters of past.

and a clean drive with clean altura troosers. what more could i want? heh.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

GT drive out water. Oil

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Keep in the warm kitchen over night to warm and dry thoroughly. Lube then ride.
    Snow prevents mud. No need to wash it – simples

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Effective Lubrication in sub Zero temp’ is closed to new replies.