Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • East Anglia riding
  • stevomcd
    Free Member

Had an enquiry from some people who are pretty much beginners. They're keen to get out on some proper singletrack to see if they've got the necessary riding level before committing to a trip in the summer. They're based in East Anglia, not an area I'm familiar with! Any suggestions? Not too far from Chicksands or Leith Hill maybe?

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Depends where in East Anglia. Thetford has some good singletrack, but it is practically flat. good for fitness, but nothing technical.
    a few small hills around norwich if they are there (e.g. ringland), but again very short runs and not worth travelling to. if they are further west, maybe towards kings lynn area then the peak ditrict will only be a 2 and a half hour drive away. much better if they are able to spend a weekend away. if they want some cheap accomoodation, then pindale farm is cheap but liveable in for a few days (£10 per night per person).

if they are down nearer essex direction then that is where the olympics are being held so there might be some riding down there?

grahamt1980

Would say that if they are beginners then thetford would be a good start.
    Short of that woburn sands would be the best, lots of singletrack and plenty of easy stuff too

schmiken

Thetford has some good technical bits if you know where to look. TIMBER are the guys to hook up with if in Norfolk, or TROG are the guys if they're more Suffolk based. There is good riding to be found – you don't need hills to enjoy a good ride!

jedi

woburn for the full flavour of mtb against thetford

MrGreedy

Schmiken beat me to the plug! TROG are definitely the people to hook up with if they're anywhere near Ipswich, see http://www.trogmtb.com for more details. The best way to find the trails is to join in with the regular Sunday morning ride – all are welcome and pace is laid back.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

you don't need hills to enjoy a good ride!

i agree. having spent 4 years at uni over there, i grew to appreciate thetford and the less ridden trails. i just don't think it gives a full flavour of mtbing. the OP suggests that the group are looking to book a proper trip in the summer. unless they are going to holland, i don't think thetford is a good example of a normal mountain biking trail.

still a good place to start, but they should go somewhere with hills to get a better example of mtbing, which is why i suggested the peaks- easily accessible, plenty of trails at all levels, never too far from help if needed, usually plenty of other bikers around, etc…

oh, to the OP. if they are going to thetford, then don't hire the bikes from bikeart (the on-site bike shop). in 3 years of hiring bikes for groups there, i only had one day where a bike didn't break into pieces. most days the bikes had no brakes working by the end of the day due to bad maintenance!

KonaTC

Steve,

Hope you and Iona are well.

Having ridden with you last year Treads MTB, I was the good looking Welsh bloke on a 4" XC bike

I suggest Thetford for some basic single track skills I know the TIMBER chaps have a regular group ride Forum Link to find some of the more technical singletrack.

Then over to Woburn for some trails with gravity assistance Cyclone are a great bunch of chaps having ridden with them before

If a little more confidence is required I have heard only good things about UK Bike Skills who use Woburn as a venue to coach riders. Been off my bike for a few months considering a session myself

Not been to Chick Sands for a while but if the website reflects the bike park this may also provide a good venue to hone some skill.

A little further a field you could suggest Llandegla, near Chester the Red/ Black trails will give a good indication of skills level, there are also skills days held there which will provide a good bench mark.

And being Welsh can not forget

Glyncorrwg Mountain Bike Centre , Whites Levels, The Wall and W-2-W, July trails will be another bench mark
    Coed y Brenin in the North should provide a good bench mark for ability, look towards Tarw, MBR, Dragon's Back and The Beast of Brenin trails

Hope this helps

Mark

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Thetters would be my suggestion, followed by Tunstall near Ipswich and Danbury for some hillier and jumpier stuff.

stealthcat

Do you have any idea where in East Anglia they're from? If it's south Suffolk, Thetford isn't that easy to get to.

I'd actually suggest a weekend away at Afan, as being one of the more accessible trail centres, maybe stopping at Cwmcarn on the way home if they got on OK at Afan. The hills might be a nasty shock, but at least they'll be going up and down decent sized hills…

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL Stevo.

The Alps are too rad for you and you are wanting to set up in East Anglia.

Try denying it!

stevomcd
    Free Member

It is just too damn hilly out here. And the singletrack is too good. I've had enough! :mrgreen:

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I ride the Dengie marshes in Essex for most of the year apart for a week or ten days in the summer when I visit Ste Foy, and sh1t myself when trying to ride down some of the slopes I boarded during the winter. Planning to bring my road bike at Easter as I am in training to do the Marmotte in July followed by Ste Foy's single track.

jedi

kona – tc, thanks for the recommend 🙂

stevomcd
    Free Member

Planning to bring my road bike at Easter as I am in training to do the Marmotte in July followed by Ste Foy's single track.

Call by when you're out! I'm sure I spoke to a few people round here last July who were about to go and do the Marmotte. Wasn't you, was it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘East Anglia riding’ is closed to new replies.