Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • DRIFT HD cameras – anyone used one?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thinking about being a spendy idiot and splashing out on a camera to record biking trips, looking at the DRIFT models and wondering if anyone has any feedback?

Cheers.

davosaurusrex

I’ve got one which I’ve used on my motorbike. Great quality footage, easy to use and the screen really helps in setting the angle up. Will try it on my new mtb soon but if I was buying one now I would go for the new one with the smaller body, particularly if you’re going to mount it to a lid

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hadn’t actually got as far as deciding which model yet 😆 are they large/bulky/heavy then?

The other alternative is the Go-Pro Hero but it always looks like it could get clipped by a branch etc.

d45yth
    Free Member

A lot of the best ‘on the bike’ footage is taken when the camera is mounted to your chest. I don’t think the Drift lends itself to that very well. Wearing a camera on your helmet just leads to shaky images.

davosaurusrex

I think the footage quality is comparable, possibly slightly better on the Gopro. The Drift has another advantage though in that you can mount it at any angle using the rotating lens to correct it. The Drift isn’t heavy but the older model I’ve got is fairly bulky, new one looks to be about 2/3 the size. You’ll need the external microphone (drop it into your camelbak) if you want to hear anything except for wind noise. Never used a Gopro but apparently the Drifts are a lot more user friendly

davosaurusrex

I’ve got some really good trackday footage with the Drift mounted on my lid (here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUZH0IdB4KI ) but I think motorbike helmets are a lot more stable. Certainly can’t see how you could mount a drift on your chest

DickBarton

I got one yesterday…looks good but.im struggling to mount it on bike…I’ve nothing the same profile as the clamps so I need to get creative…

Not tried yet so no idea if it.us.good, but it gels well.made. I got the drift HD.

DickBarton

I got one yesterday…looks good but.im struggling to mount it on bike…I’ve nothing the same profile as the clamps so I need to get creative…

Not tried yet so no idea if it.us.good, but it gels well.made. I got the drift HD.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I take it the swivelling lens won’t go through a full 90 degrees for chest mounting then?

davosaurusrex

No, the camera still has to be pointing forwards and the correct angle of elevation to film ‘down’ the trail, the lens swivels around the axis like a clock face as you look at it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘DRIFT HD cameras – anyone used one?’ is closed to new replies.