• This topic has 23,120 replies, 784 voices, and was last updated 23 hours ago by nickc.
Viewing 40 posts - 11,801 through 11,840 (of 23,121 total)
  • Donald! Trump!
  • akira

Seem to be a lot of reports of attempts to put off voters from unnecessary police presence at polling stations to lying about people’s voting rights. And they still lost.

dannyh
    Free Member

@ninfan.

Must have missed your reply (unusual because you’re normally all over the political threads).

Had you been eligible to vote in Alabama, would you have voted for the (strongly) alleged sex offender?

Of course, if you’d “prefer not to deal in hypotheticals” I will respect your right to blatantly duck the question. 🙄

colp

Media seem determined to make a big deal of this, GOP majority is 51/49 vs 52/48 before.

Did John McCain just become very powerful indeed?

oldnpastit

Media seem determined to make a big deal of this, GOP majority is 51/49 vs 52/48 before.

It’s more about the swing to the Democrats. Must be some nervous Republican politicians anxiously checking over their retirement portfolios.

theotherjonv

a ‘normal’ Alabama result would have been more like 60:40 to 65:35, apparently. So in comparison to that it’s a seismic shift in state voting.

How much is anti-Trump, and how much is anti-Moore – that’s harder to unravel but the write-ins might give an indication of that.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I have watched the whole Alabama thing with much interest, once again we see the “new” politics in action via a combination of a protest vote and republican abstentions.

The rules/allegiance no longer apply. Alabama is deeply conservative (almost fundamentalist biblical) yet they did not support Roy Moore?

Main stream political parties can no longer assume they will get the vote just because they are Republican or Tory or Labour. I bet the UK political parties have watched this one with interest.

Lifer
    Free Member

Munchin’s 1 page analysis of his budget 😆

One page!

mikey74
    Free Member

Media seem determined to make a big deal of this,

That’s because it’s a huge deal: There hasn’t been a Democrat senator for Alabama for 25 years. Plus, it further reduces the Republican majority making it virtually impossible to pass their budget, repeal Obama-care and put through other policies. The Trump administration has not passed one piece of legislation this YEAR, and this defeat only makes things worse.

GrahamS

ninfan – Member
    Less than two percent difference eh?

I presume that the lefties will all be telling us that it’s not conclusive and calling for another vote, like they always do when it’s a close outcome?

Quoting the BBC article:

Mr Moore has refused to concede, with the 70-year-old former judge telling supporters “realise that when the vote is this close that it’s not over”.

The margin of victory is well above the half a percentage point which would have triggered a recount.

😆

slowoldman

Bring on the mid term elections.

akira

Has ninfan answered the question yet?

chewkw
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member
    Bring on the mid term elections.

If Democrats win the people will suffer even more. 😆

akira – Member
    Seem to be a lot of reports of attempts to put off voters from unnecessary police presence at polling stations to lying about people’s voting rights. And they still lost.

I have never seen in any election where there are no opposing views that try to put people off. People use all sort of tricks. Is that something new to you? 😯

dannyh – Member
    Had you been eligible to vote in Alabama, would you have voted for the (strongly) alleged sex offender?

Has he been found guilty in the court of law? Until the court found him guilty, I would vote Republican simply to kick Democrats out. If he is found guilty later then he can be dealt with later, even if it means voting for new candidates.

Therefore, it looks like the new trend in Murican politics nowadays are targeting individual history. Way to go … all those old people (politicians on all sides) your skeleton will be dug out soon. 😛

GrahamS

Roy who? Totally backed that guy with the Super Villain name all along. Sad!

I tend to agree though. The deck was stacked against Moore. Though I suspect I think that for slightly different reasons than the Trumpet does. 😆

GrahamS

I would vote Republican simply to kick Democrats out.

So you’re fine with his actual stated views then? e.g.

“Homosexual conduct should be illegal, yes…. …Do you know that bestiality, the relationship between man and beast is prohibited in every state?”

“Homosexual behavior is crime against nature, an inherent evil, and an act so heinous that it defies one’s ability to describe it,”

“False religions like Islam who teach that you must worship this way are completely opposite with what our First Amendment stands for,”

Yeah, apart from that alleged child molestation he seems really nice! 🙄

dannyh
    Free Member

Yeah, apart from that alleged child molestation he seems really nice!

Exactly what happens when you have extremist views yourself. You end up supporting some very unsavoury characters because frankly these unsavoury characters are attracted to extremist politics and you are willing to put up with anyone who peddles a similarly hateful agenda.

Like flies to shit.

In the most literal sense, only slightly less edifying as ‘we’ are supposedly sentient beings.

Early arrivals at a Pro-Trump rally earlier:

akira

I have never seen in any election where there are no opposing views that try to put people off. People use all sort of tricks. Is that something new to you?

Text messages telling people their polling station have changed and people being told they can’t vote because they’ve somehow been marked as inactive despite voting previously are more than trying to put people off. Presumably you’re okay with these ‘tricks’?

kimbers

Good analysis at 538, who had been warning about this upset for a while.

It looks like the mid terms are going to be particularly bad for the GOP

Republicans Shouldn’t Assume Roy Moore Was An Outlier

dannyh
    Free Member

Don’t worry akira, they’re just getting panicky.

That’s the problem with right wing extremists, they tend to over-estimate their moment in the sun.

Their role model reckoned a thousand years, but it actually worked out as twelve.

But then he did pack a lot into those 12 years, so maybe that’s why the lads are fretting. Trump is a year in now and he’s not started putting his own citizens in camps yet. Amateur.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

akira – Member
    Has ninfan answered the a question yet?

FIFY

One Republican against will force the VP to carry a vote, 2 and it’s out, given he has lost McCain, the 2 others who have come out against him etc. Now anyone of the 51 who wants something for their state can ask for it.

ninfan
    Free Member

@ninfan. Must have missed your reply

[quote]Has ninfan answered the question yet[/quote]

Yebus, go away to write an article and suddenly surrounded by lefties all getting upset demanding I pay attention to them. (Look, no posts from me in between, doing other stuff mon petit flocons de neige)

Very on trend: http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/361726-eminem-angry-trump-not-paying-attention-to-me

El-bent
    Free Member

Still no. 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah still waiting for the answer to condemning both sides in the Israeli/Palestinian troubles for one.

ninfan
    Free Member

Of course I’ve condemned the Israelis mike, for example their violent actions against British troops and Constables were unforgivable, as were the events at Sabra and Shatila.

Keeping land that they won fair and square in a pitched battle for survival, particularly after what the Jordanian/pal leadership did when they seized east Jerusalem and razed/ethnically cleansed the Jewish Quarter. I Couldn’t care two hoots.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Jeez man, it’s not a zero sum game. People are dying over this. You’re an awful human.

akira

Things I’m hoping for Christmas, tax vote doesn’t get through vote, Mueller moves even closer to Trump, Trump gets his phone back as I miss his mental childish tweets and ninfan answers a question. I’ve been a good boy this year.

akira

Oh and a puppy.

GrahamS

ninfan – Member
    Less than two percent difference eh?
    I presume that the lefties will all be telling us that it’s not conclusive and calling for another vote, like they always do when it’s a close outcome?

Looks like Moore is claiming that God supports a recount:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ZkSqmKzuM[/video]

😯

nickc

Roy was fired as a judge partly because he didn’t think the law applied to him. That he now wants to use the law (that he doesn’t think applies to him) to see if the count was accurate, is by any measure, hubris.

I’m glad US politics is “over there” and mostly can be filed under interesting but irrelevant

ninfan
    Free Member

Jeez man, it’s not a zero sum game. People are dying over this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/12/two-palestinian-militants-killed-gaza-preparing-attack-israel/

Oh dear, how sad, never mind

You’re an awful human.

When you find yourself siding with an organisation that has rejected any two state solution and is sworn to the annihilation of the Jewish peoples, then it’s probably best to examine your own position before attacking mine

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When you find yourself siding with an organisation that has rejected any two state solution and is sworn to the annihilation of the Jewish peoples, then it’s probably best to examine your own position before attacking mine

This shit again?
    As normal human beings we are able to see that both sides here are wrong, both have impossible positions and both need to change in order for progress to be made.

nickc

When you find yourself siding…ranty ranty troll, troll….

he hasn’t sided with anyone, he’s said “People are dying”

People attack your position because you’re a fascist, HTH.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I don’t have much time for shrill commentary justifying the continuing violence in Israel/Palestine. Not everyone in Israel/Palestine has a polarized view of the world or belongs to one extreme faction or the other. A lot of innocent apolitical people on all sides are caught up in misery. To dehumanize one group or other is disingenuous.

And yes, as yourguitarhero has reminded us, people are dying unnecessarily. That should be the moral outrage here.

dannyh
    Free Member

Hi Ninfy (I’m going down the pally-pally route in order to try to get an answer).

If you had been eligible to vote in Alabama, would you have voted for Roy Moore?

ninfan
    Free Member

@Dannyh – no

@nickc – I refer you to George Orwell
    “It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-?ghting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley’s broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.”

dannyh
    Free Member

@Dannyh – no

Good, that does you some credit – I don’t know what circles you move in, but would you be comfortable admitting that to a room of people who share some of your other views – chewkw for example.

On that particular note:

@chewkw – looking a tad isolated after your post on the previous page…..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

In my direct experience, much individual and collective progress can be made through silence and contemplation in a group setting.

But it is a sad fact that humans tend to raise the volume of argument as the number of people gathered around a controversy increases. This tends to have the directly opposite effect.

Plus, of course, the habit of surrendering individuality to a group ethic, organisation, or set of “principles” or stances.

We have evolved temporal lobes that are too small and adrenaline glands that are too big.

It’s all going to, if not end, then certainly to continue, in tears.

nickc

ninfan, Orwell wrote that essay as a response to people who use the word fascist as a swear word and apply it to people and things that may deny it’s impact over time. I use it because you have, over many posts, and years on here, revealed yourself to be (in persona at least) aligning yourself with the opinions of the far right. The word is in your case, accurate.

ninfan
    Free Member

aligning yourself with the opinions of the far right. The word is in your case, accurate.

Oh look, someone else who doesn’t actually understand what fascism means.
    You might want to read up on the works of Professor Griffin (that’s Roger, not Peter) on the subject

nickc

oh FFS, you apply such autisticly narrow version of definitions to so many things that you miss the meaning of normal conversation, and you wonder why people think you’re a troll.

A while back you tried the same thing when you decided to tell everyone how the Nazi party didn’t invent Zyklon B in a stupid and ill judged attempt to deflect blame away from them. In your simplistic narrowly defined semi literate understanding of history you’re totally accurate, in the wider context you’re a step away from a brown shirt and a stormfront subscription.

the label is accurately applied

ninfan
    Free Member

You appear to be upset by my reliance on a definition of fascism that is anything more refined than that applied by Rick in the Young Ones

I look forward to hearing about my consistent support for state involvement in the economy, let alone my belief in “All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state”

Viewing 40 posts - 11,801 through 11,840 (of 23,121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.