Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Dogs and pets tonight
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Anyone else have issues with their pets being terrified tonight?

Mine has been howling, barking and shaking for an hour now. Only a few more hours to go hopefully.

druidh
    Free Member

Try doping it

ski
    Free Member

Cats sleeping on our bed upstairs, not been bothered yet, but did take extra care not to let them out tonight & feed them Tuna as a treat, so they should be happy tonight.

The sky does look a bit like the opening night of the Gulf war here though!

carbon337
    Free Member

He was doped in the past, it was horrible.

meehaja
    Free Member

a loud firework went off above our yard while the cat was out there. She just looked at it, and casually walked inside, mind you, we live in Bradford, so the cats are used to the sound of things exploding.

druidh
    Free Member

carbon337 – Member
    He was doped in the past, it was horrible.

For him – or for you?

Flaperon

Sounds like a f****** war zone here in Manchester. Can’t tell if they’re fireworks or guns.

druidh
    Free Member

Well, it’s absolutely chucking it down in the Burg, so all that blue touchpaper is gonna be a bit soggy.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL just have them with you and put music or a DVD on
    Never really had issues with our Golden Retriver

FoxyChick
    Free Member

DTFU 8)

colnagokid

Jim the Greyhound’s been OK upto now, he’s normally terrified, but some pr1ck has just blown something up in the street, now he’s howling!
    Trouble is we live 100metres from a huge display that kicks off at 7 for 30 mins
    Hate 5th Nov 😥

druidh
    Free Member

colnagokid – Member
    Jim the Greyhound’s been OK upto now, he’s normally terrified, but some pr1ck has just blown something up in the street, now he’s howling!
    Trouble is we live 100metres from a huge display that kicks off at 7 for 30 mins
    Hate 5th Nov

Go somewhere else for 30 minutes?

user-removed
    Free Member

Our rescued lurcher used to be absolutely sh1t-scared and would cower with fear at every wee pop. Now though, he just likes to shout at the noise – reckons he’s nails like….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hasn’t anyone heard of Feliway for the moggies or DAP (I think) for the mutts?

We’ve switched the Feliway on and doused everything in Feliway spray. Our cats are lurching around the house like a couple of stoners.

One of them was at the window shouting “You call that fireworks??!!” 🙂

luked2
    Free Member

Our greyhound hates it. He’s currently trying to make himself as small as possible next to the washing machine. It’s not even like there’s much going on.

colnagokid

@druidh because there will be fireworks all over tonight, and at least he’s at home and I can turn he telly up to deafening volume
    Any more smartarse ideas? 😕

Midnighthour
    Free Member

I wonder if it is worse for dogs for some reason? My friends cat gets scared. However our 1st cat is asleep on the bed, having sauntered into the house, the 2nd cat demanded to be let out into our conservatory so it could watch the goings on and chat (?) with the cat that lives over the road from us, who is also lounging on a chair in there. The stray cat who is temporarily living with us has vanished into the rain (no idea why anyone is letting fireworks off in this downpour, unless its a weird personal challenge to light stuff that’s sopping wet?) but a few rockets went off last night when he was sat on my lap and he showed no interest and we were outdoors, so he could have just gone for a walk. Hope so. I will go out and look for him again in a moment. I nearly drowned the first search as it was raining so hard.

Hohum
    Free Member

We used to have a German Shepherd dog who loved November 5th with its loud bangs and lights 😕

My step dad onc had some old flares and set them off in the garden and the dog started running after them!

swavis

One dog is shaking a little so we’ve just practiced some obiedence training to distract him. Seems to have worked.
    The other dog just cocked his head and went back to chewing his plastic bone, not fussed in the slightest.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i gave mine malteezers for a treat lol

bigsi
    Free Member

Our Collie used to be hiding under the sofa for a week before & after 5th nov but we got a DAP plug in 2 weeks ago and he’s laying at my feet now fast asleep despite the bangs & pops going off for the past few hours.

They are not cheap but have chilled him right out, they have a pheramone (sp) that lactating bitches give off which helps to calm they right down.

Well worth the investment 😀

Drac

Our Border T never battered an eye he couldn’t care less.

Hohum
    Free Member

elaine anne – Member
    i gave mine malteezers for a treat lol

I thought that dogs were not supposed to eat human chocolate?

May not be as much of a treat as you first thought 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

just one or two…. he,s almost human anyway (ive made him that way ! lol

dyna-ti

One or two is fine 😀 they love it so 😆 it is poisonous to them so although its only a couple try not to make it on too regular a basis.

So far up here[Glasgow] there hasnt been much in the way of loud bangs,seems to be less about the city,even the local youth seem to be neglecting their duties 😕

Woody
    Free Member

Took my two mutts out for a walk earlier and they stood and watched when a rocket went off – probably used to loud bangs from the womb as their mum is a working gundog.

When I lived in Crystal Palace my cats used to sit at the bay window and watch quite fascinated at the display in the park about 200 yards away.

4ndyB
    Free Member

This year my cat couldn’t give a crap about fireworks going off she’s just chilling out at the top of the stairs as usual, a few years ago she’s be under the bed all night, she’s not even flinched once tonight 😯

anagallis_arvensis

our lurcher doesnt like them, isnt too bothered when in the house, just goes and sleeps under the table, a few went off when we have been out on a walk and she starts trembling and tries to walk in through the nearest oepn door, be it shop, pub or kebab house!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

As long as they can see the fireworks, my 2 are spot on. Eric will site outside and watch them.
    This is Esme’s 2nd Nov 5th and she’s still a bit unsure- but follows Eric, so if he stays happy, so does she.

mattbee

My dog has been a nightmare with all the fireworks going off this week. He’s been glued to me, shivering and panting for the whole evening several times this week, as soon as he’s heard the first one going off. Trying to ignore it as much as possible, so he thinks we’re not bthered so why should he be?
    Daft thing is that he comes to work with me all the time and quite ofter hears bangs, from pyrotechnics and blank rounds. Not bothered by that in the slightest.

As for chocolate, my vet described it as being like heroin for dogs. Most can eat it in small quantities with no apparent effects but possibly one day react to it and be ill, other dogs react badly straight away.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

+1 for working spaniels. Mine sit outside and watch the fireworks with me.

Although people in the know say this is not always the case and dogs that could not care less about gunfire can still be nervous about fireworks.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Our Staff is fine with fireworks, she’ll sit in the conservatory and watch them. Last night she even wanted out to go and play with some of the ones we were setting off in the garden. Stupid mutt.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

My pup georgie aint turned a hair – I dont think he has noticed them at all…

anthonyb
    Free Member

My labradoodle Harley seems to like them (its his first fireworks night) hes been out in the garden watching them, now hes chilling out on the rug. chilled isnt the word 🙂

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

I hope no-one has a gundog thats nervous tonight !

Pembo
    Free Member

Managed to get our Greyhound out for a really long walk just before it went dark and he doesn’t seem as stressed as usual.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Last year when Timmy was a kitten, he couldn’t care less. This year he legged it indoors and hid behind the sofa for an hour. Hasn’t touched his food – but that could be because of stuffing himself with the pidgeon he caught the other day 😆

TiRed

Merlot our cocker spaniel was subjected to the third of four Legoland extravaganzas this evening. Huge fireworks right over the house. Was OK last week – just barked at a few, but I had to clean up the bathroom after this time. Another tomorrow.

The guinea pigs seem just fine, and the snails didn’t notice.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Dogs and pets tonight’ is closed to new replies.