Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Does an employer have an obligation to supply…
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

“secure” storage for personal belongings, for example a locker…?

Where ever I have worked I have always been offered some sort of storage for my stuff but the current shower of shite I work for seem to be really dragging their heels when it comes to sorting to lockers out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

no. Possibly if you have to change on site – ie you have a uniform or PPE that you have to wear at work but must not wear on th street but in normal circumstances no

There is some “cycle friendly” status that suggests they should

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg244.pdf
    The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992
    “Accommodation for clothing and facilities for changing
    Adequate, suitable and secure space should be provided to store workers’ own clothing and special clothing. As far as is reasonably practicable the facilities should allow for drying clothing. Changing facilities should also be provided for workers who change into special work clothing. The facilities should be readily accessible from workrooms and washing and eating facilities, and should ensure the privacy of the user, be of sufficient capacity, and be provided with seating.”

Shibboleth
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    no.

I love the way TJ delivers these posts with such authority, even though he has no clue whatsoever! Bloody hilarious.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Shibboleth – He’s right though

zokes
    Free Member

If he’s right, then that pdf from the HSE Macavity just quoted is wrong then…

djglover
    Free Member

The pdf is a guide and not compulsory

owenfackrell
    Free Member

BUt that guide also use the word should which maens that they dont have to.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s not wrong… ‘adequate’ is a subjective word though isn’t it?

I work in an office, what storage facilities would be adequate?

I used to work for a company that made us all wear a uniform that we weren’t allowed to wear off-site, what is adequate in this situtaion?

Macavity
    Free Member

“If he’s right, then that pdf from the HSE Macavity just quoted is wrong then… “

or possibly slightly irrelevant, its hard to argue for a locker for your own clothes if you work in a relatively clean environment such as an office. But if you work in a coal mine, foundry etc then you have to have decent welfare facilities.

project
    Free Member

Worked for a company that we had 2 lockers seperated by a set of showers, one side was for your clean come to work clothes, and the other side for your dirty clothes, you could have a shower before going home,but because they only had a plastic curtain, hardly anyone bothered,(shy) and after a few weeks half the lockers on both sides didnt get used , but as they where allocated to a worker could not be given to someone else.

Sandwich

Macavitys quoted text would be used as a best practice guide in the event of a prosecution. It’s the minimum requirement the employer has to prove that what he does is suitable and sufficient if that guidance is not followed. Goal setting legislation is a wonderful thing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The key thing in the quote is “special clothing” If you work where there is no “special clothing” then there is no requirement.

FFS – how many folk get a locker at their workplace? are 90% of the workplaces breaking the law?

So if you work in an office then somewhere to hang your wet winter coat meets the guidance.

If you work in a hospital then you need changing rooms and somewhere secure to keep your clothes as you must wear a uniformn at work and you must not wear it on the street.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

you must wear a uniformn at work and you must not wear it on the street.

Woah, the number of nurse etc. I see on the bus wearing their uniforms here is quite worrying…

thomthumb
    Free Member

Woah, the number of nurse etc. I see on the bus wearing their uniforms here is quite worrying…

i like it 😉

Drac

If you have to wear a uniform they ‘need’ to supply you with some sort of facility, I got a whole new locker room and showers built based on this (up there). If your an office worker though they you’ll pushed to find anything to help but calling you work place a ‘shower of shite’ should go along way in helping find a new employer.

Macavity
    Free Member
    vinnyeh

[b]Simply, we believe bikes will change the world.[/b] We believe we have happy employees who work with us, not just for us. We believe we have a great long term opportunity for the right people. Some of the benefits working for Trek: * Super Employee Purchase Scheme * Casual dress code * Values bases * Company paid healthcare * Bike sheds and showers * Encouraging ride to work * Private car parking *

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Does an employer have an obligation to supply…’ is closed to new replies.