• This topic has 68 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ruddy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Do It All CX/Road Bike Options?
  • bumpy
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy a bit of a do-it-all bike to use for commuting, road riding, a bit of off-road stuff on bridleways and possibly a couple of the local summer CX races.

So far I’m undecided between something like a Specialized Diverge with the carbon frame if I can get one for a decent price, a Tripster ATR, or going with the slightly cheaper option and getting a new Singular Kite Disc frame set and building it up.

Anything else that I should be considering? It needs to be something that doesn’t weigh a ton and will be comfortable for longer rides but still fun to ride.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Norco Threshold?

crasher50

Giant tcx slr.

Bregante

GT Grade seems well reviewed. Personally I’m looking at Ti and it’s a toss up between a Pickenflick or possibly the New Alpkit Sonder Camino.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I bought a Planet X – XLS for these duties a couple of years back. So far the only downside is that it hasn’t got rack mounts but I’ve done over night trips using Alpkit bikepacking gear strapped on.

Other than that it’s good for 100 mile sportives, bridleways, and the odd bit of singletrack depending on tyre choice.

If i had to choose again I might go an On-One Dirty Disco because it is meant to have a more relaxed frame geo BUT I’ve never ridden one so who knows!

BillOddie

Jamis Renegade at what price point takes your fancy.

smitghga34
    Free Member

I was looking at getting a gt grade but picked up an on -one Dirty Disco second hand. Great bike, very comfy,nimble and fun.
    If it’s good enough for a record setting ride around the world on…

freeagent
    Free Member

Arkose?
    I’ve got a 2016 Arkose 3, it isn’t perfect, but the frame is gorgeous, and the spec is pretty unbeatable for £1000.

lawman91

Got to be a Genesis datum if you can find one in your size. I’ve had my Datum 10 for 3 weeks now and it is unbelievably good, very fast on the road and even on the stock tyres it feels super confident off the beaten path. Can’t praise it highly enough!

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Niner RLT 9 is definitely worth a look

dthom3uk

A second vote for the Arkose 3. It’s a very versatile bike. I’ve used it for off road commuting, off road riding and its currently got slicks on and I’m using it as a road bike.

iainc

I have a 2015 CDF30, which I really like. If I was replacing it I’d be going for a Cannondale Slate. I do asso have a summer road bike though

andyfla
    Free Member

Tripster is just about to have a facelift with internal cables and flat mount disc brakes- but it is going up by a few hundred pounds.

I bought one in the autumn and it is bloody awesome on cx or road, haven’t tried to do proper mtb on it yet, but will certainly take it to the next trail center with the kids rather than the full sus

Try one and you will be hooked- most kinesis dealers will have a demo around

Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought an arkose 4 yesterday, can’t recommend it yet though as I won’t get it until the weekend. Great spec though and I’m so looking forward to having hydraulic discs on a wet commute, no more ‘oh shit I can’t stop’ moments 🙂

ampthill

Before buying a diverge don’t you have to think long and hard about the weird rear hub spacing?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/damn-you-specialized-and-your-scs-standard

But that maybe history now

Another day another standard

Sam

I’m a little biased (OK, more than a little…) but since riding the Kite disc I’ve had to re-think my answer to the ‘if you could only have one bike’ question. I like it, a lot. And I think once we get some folks out on them they will too 🙂

andyfla
    Free Member

Second for the hydro discs, they are flippin awesome as well, did a wet, leaf covered, gravelly descent and felt in control all the way down, even with slicks on

bumpy
    Free Member

I’m a little biased (OK, more than a little…) but since riding the Kite disc I’ve had to re-think my answer to the ‘if you could only have one bike’ question. I like it, a lot. And I think once we get some folks out on them they will too

Are you likely to have any demo bikes about in a Large by any chance?

Second for the hydro discs, they are flippin awesome as well, did a wet, leaf covered, gravelly descent and felt in control all the way down, even with slicks on

Without a doubt it’ll have hydraulic disc brakes on it 🙂

DrP

I do exactly all this on my tripster – 2 sets of wheels (identical, bar the tyres) makes switching from’lycra clad roadie grumpwagon’ to ‘gnarmac bridleslayer’ a breeze…

I’m sure other bike would do the same too though.

Drp

andyfla
    Free Member

Edit – wrong post !

nickb

I’ve recently bought a PX Bish Bash Bosh – loving it so far!

Sam

@bumpy – yes I will do, drop me a line.

islander

Rose Pro DX Cross. £1400, Ultegra, hyd discs, DT Swiss wheels.

Kryton57

Oooh – quite interested I. The bush bash bosh as a winter bike / turbo bike – the latter causing me an issue buying a Ti bike as it’ll be too good to sit on the turbo. Has it got reader guard mounts, and how does it ride to winter road bike?

nickb

@Kryton – yes, has mud guard mounts.

Not had it long, but using it for commute which can be on-road, or mixed on trails through Richmond Park and/or riverside paths etc. Also had a blast down to Oxshot Common/Esher Heath at the weekend – was lots of fun in the mud!

It’s pretty firm, but I had the tyres pumped overly hard and it comes with a pretty unforgiving stock saddle. Also needs a shorter stem than the 110mm version I have (PX were out of stock of shorter ones when I ordered, but I’ve just bought a 90mm Deda stem that should arrive tomorrow).

Overall I’m really enjoying it – it’s the perfect up-to-date successor to my old Kona Jake the Snake, that was also bright orange!

I’ve gone from this:

to this:

🙂

Kryton57

Thanks for the feedback!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I am currently thinking about a Giant Anyroad Comax. Might be too relaxed for you though.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/anyroad.comax/22308/84270/

rOcKeTdOg

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Diverge is more on the road/gravel end of the spectrum, rather than the gravel/CX end. If that makes sense.

Fast, comfortable, tough. Takes guards and racks, too. It’s not a CX bike, though. It’s a toughened road bike that’ll take some beating.

Like this sort of thing.

Wheels aren’t really an issue. Hope and DT hubs/wheels as well as Spesh own should give you plenty of options. Failing that, a rebuild on existing hubs is easy as well.

theboatman
    Free Member

[/url]InstagramCapture_64373bb5-87bc-4c55-acb3-ae0a8aeb2f56 by IamDeathside, on Flickr[/img]

Loving my GT grade sora, was cheap as chips and has become my go to bike. Got some other wheels with CX tyres on, and sold my road winter bike. More bling models are available.

ampthill

Mango Bikes

Another online brand mixing great value and limited size options

But I realise that this is sour grapes from a tall person

jacob46
    Free Member

Pinnacle arkose 4.

From evans cycles.

Kryton57

That Arkose 4 – am I right in that only substantial difference between the ’15 and 16 bike is the colour and the bolt through fork on the ’16?

Kryton57

I’ve got to say, the Canyon Inflite 8.0 S looks great for the money at £1099, if you want a winter road bike with occasional CX as I do.

Decent weight – 8.9kg – 105, ‘tweener rings x 2, 32/11 cassette, guard mounts and the only issue i can see is a a PF BB.

Change tyres and off you go CX’ing. I could also just swap the rear wheel for my road/powertap and off I go on the turbo.

Hmmm

atrthanks
    Free Member

Tripster is just about to have a facelift with internal cables and flat mount disc brakes- but it is going up by a few hundred pounds.

Might make the current (externally routed) frame even more of a good deal then if some offers pop up.

Merlin has a compatible full-hydro Ultegra groupset for £620

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6800-disc-brake-groupset-83417.html

I have mine Tripster built up with this and it is fantastic.

kiwijohn

Sam – Member
    I’m a little biased (OK, more than a little…) but since riding the Kite disc I’ve had to re-think my answer to the ‘if you could only have one bike’ question. I like it, a lot. And I think once we get some folks out on them they will too

I’ll happily test one in the southern hemisphere for you Sam.
    I love my old, but I could at least have a look at a new one.

sleigh62
    Free Member

London Road for me
    Good value for money at £799 with the Rival 22 groupset … especially if you can get it through a C2W scheme.

I’ve changed the bars on mine for some flared genetic digest and its great on and off road.
    Not the lightest at 9.5kg but not bad either.

and unlike the London Road thread … I’ve had no issues with the fit of the seatpost 🙂

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

I’ve got to say, the Canyon Inflite 8.0 S looks great for the money at £1099, if you want a winter road bike with occasional CX as I do.

Decent weight – 8.9kg – 105, ‘tweener rings x 2, 32/11 cassette, guard mounts and the only issue i can see is a a PF BB.

Change tyres and off you go CX’ing. I could also just swap the rear wheel for my road/powertap and off I go on the turbo.

Hmmm

Canyon no longer do the mudguards for them, you’d have to try and fashion something from aftermarket and deal with the weird ‘halfway up the fork’ front mount.
    As for weight, my Inflite race bike is 8.4kg ready to race with as much lightweight stuff on it as I could fit and Ultegra 1×10. I’d love to weigh their 8.9kg bike to see the real world weight.
    Oh and I’m selling my race bike if you’re interested…

josemctavish
    Free Member

Van Nicholas Amazon?

Does this:

This:

Also this:

Kryton57

So pick holes in this from Merlin.

Apart from the CX chainrings and less than boutique paint job, it ticks my boxes… but?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Do It All CX/Road Bike Options?’ is closed to new replies.