Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Disc brakes with easily changable pads
  • delta
    Free Member

I’m after some new disc brakes as I’ve never been able to get proper power from my xtr set (despite multiple bleeds, different pads, etc).

Was looking at juicys (purely because thats whats on my hardtail) but a mate had real issues with his set the other week out on the trails (cold hands didnt help, but still), so….

Which disc brakes can have their pads changed without having to remove the wheels (xtr pop straight out)?
    Of those, what would you recommend?

Priorities are (in order) easily changable pads, power, weight, cost!

Elixirs?

Cheers,
    D

Dibbs
    Free Member

I would say get the XTR’s sorted (I’ve got them on 4 bikes), maybe fit a 180mm on the front?

Daffy

Hope Mono/Tech M4s fit all of the above criteria.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Hope M4’s, pads can be taken out the back of the caliper, lots of power. Not cheap though!

delta
    Free Member

Should have said, I’ve already upgraded to 180/160 (was 160/160) and swapped to the Hope floating rotors too (slightly lighter, look better). The bigger rotor did seem to make them better but I bled them at the same time so not sure if it was the bigger rotor or fresh bleed that made the difference there.

They are spot on for a few rides right after a bleed but then seem to degrade. I did think I had a leak but they only degrade to a certain point, I figured if I had a leak it would degrade to the point that the brakes didnt work at all. Maybe I have a leak that only lets so much out (e.g. top of the reservoir) but its bone dry when I have checked.

Constant use (e.g. long downhills) dont seem to affect them either, for what its worth, and they dont seem to get any better or worse mid ride?

Cheers for the replies, I’ll check out the Hopes. I read (on here, a while ago) about reliability issues with the Hopes – anything I should worry about (bearing in mind all kit has issues now and again)?

pypdjl
    Free Member

I have four sets of hope brakes, the newer silver and black ones have been very reliable, the the older black/gold ones seem a bit more temperamental. If anything does go wrong they are very easy to work on.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I’d agree with getting the XTRs sorted; why buy more? Power issues are down to friction or lack of, which is the rotor/pad interface. I’d take off the rotors, clean them until they gleam (plenty of washing up liquid, hot water, scrub, rinse) and then refit with new pads. If you’re using sintered, try organics – they work better at lower temperatures. I’ve also been well impressed with Ashima’s dual compound pads, best of both worlds, and very powerful!

Saccades
    Free Member

bb7.

druidh
    Free Member

Another XTR recommendation. And I can’t see that “easily changeable pads” can possibly be #1 priority as they last for ages. I’d rather spend 90 seconds more changing them once in a blue moon than sacrifice power, carry more weight or spend more money.

zaskar
    Free Member

XTR’s are rubbish and a pain, sell that crap to me… :OP

Get them sorted before you waste cash!

delta
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies – I was almost seduced by the thought of new shiny bits! I’ll have another crack at the XTRs for now.

druidh – “top loading” pads may not be the highest priority but I wanted to use that to narrow down my choices. I dont see that limiting my choice to top loading pads only should have to sacrifice any of the other features I want, if that makes sense?

Thanks again for all your responses.

STATO
    Free Member

top loading pads are all well and good but if your pads have worn down enough that you need to fit new pads your going to have to push the pistons back anyway, somthing you cant do if the rotor is in the way.

foxyrider
    Free Member

If you need or want new brakes I agree with the Hopes although shimano’s are easier than Avids IME. Hopes are soo easy to replace and bleed. Got mono minis and tech M4’s but pays ya money takes ya choice!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Disc brakes with easily changable pads’ is closed to new replies.