Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Deore or SLX disk brakes?
  • peter1979
    Free Member

I bought some avid juicy 7s on a deal that turned out to be faulty, so im in the market for new brakes. They are to fit a cotic soul new build, used mostly on trail cantres and woodland single track near me.

My question is do I go for deore at £105 all in or SLX (non ice tech) at £140 all in (ice tech would be £160 with standard rotors)?

Ive never used shimano brakes and am wondering oif the extra £35 for SLX over deore would be worth it. FWIW I have a full SLX groupset.

Pete

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I’ve used the SLX and they are superb. Personally I would spend the extra and get the SLX’s.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the deore, but I have SLX on my hard tail and XT on my bouncy one. Other than the bling factor the SLX are just as good as the XT, although the later have the adjuster. I have the heat sink pads and ice tech rotors on both.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dantsw13

Deores are great!!! Mine handled the Alps last summer, and are on my everyday bike now. One-finger-braking-tastic!!

coogan
    Free Member

Far as I know the only difference is the adjustment knob? Effectively the exact same brake, just with added knobs? I’ve got old and new SLX and both ace.

stu1972
    Free Member

My sons new Deore brakes outperform my XT M775’s.

Nuff said.

Nonsense
    Free Member

I’ve got Deore and XT. Both are as good as the other, XT just cost more. Deore have adjustable levers, you just use an allen key. I actually think the Deore look better because they don’t have the silly twiddly knob on them.

dannybgoode

Bear in mind that you can source XT M785’s (a step up from M775’s) for less than or at least the same price SLX.

That be the route I’d go.

Cheers

Danny B

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I was under the impression that the Deore caliper was completely different to the SLX/XT and therefore also took a different pad. Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s any worse tho and might be different now (2013/14).

Scamper
    Free Member

Had deore M596 on my soul with 180/180 R76 (?) XT discs. Fine brakes and pretty powerful with servo wave and used in the alps no problem. Got some SLX to now try out and will be interested to see any difference in performance. Differences seem to be enhanced cosmetics, tool free reach adjustment and calliper can take ice tech pads and a retaining pin instead of split pin as an option? The feel of the leaver pull seems a bit better too.

banks
    Free Member

Deore’s a stupid good. Look better too. Selling my hope m4’s as a result

Entonox
    Free Member

What B.A.Nana said.

Very different caliper between Deore & SLX – no ceramic pistons on Deore.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

nwill1
    Free Member

With a £10 discount for liking Rose Bike on Facebook I got front & rear XTs (no discs) posted for £115 so didn’t even think about it…that said the deores on there are even cheaper!

Entonox
    Free Member

There you go. Totally different.

I’d get SLX. And I did. Twice.

coogan
    Free Member

Ah right. I meant the levers. The Deore one above looks like the old SLX design on one of my bikes.

matty456
    Free Member

I got a set of deores with discs from rose a couple of months ago. I think they are brill. One finger braking, great response and feel. Not disappointed and saved a few quid over the slxs. Will be putting a set on my next build. 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

Just put M596 Deore on my bike, replacing Avid Elixir CR – after 3 years with them I just got bored of the fettle-fest that is AVID brakes ownership.
    The Deore are utterly bliddy brilliant.

IIRC, the new version of Deore is going to be the same / very similar calliper to the SLX / XT – for example, it will take Ice Tech pads?

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

IIRC, the new version of Deore is going to be the same / very similar calliper to the SLX / XT – for example, it will take Ice Tech pads?

Correct

davewilson634
    Free Member

Merlin have or had slx full set with rotors for £120

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got Deore M596 on my HT and SLX M675 non-ice tech on my FS.

The calipers are completley different as pointed out above and the SLX ‘feel’ a little better, but to be honest there’s nothing in the stopping power, they just look prettier

peter1979
    Free Member

The SLX deal at Merlin has finished. I ended up going for SLX sent from germany. Hopefuly they will be more reliable than the Juicys I had.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Rose bikes XT with Facebook discount.

The Deore are good and the SLX are very similar to the XT. The pad pin, forged lever and free stroke are only subtle additions but I quite like them. You can put a threaded pin into the SLX callipers but why faff when you could just get them right first time?

I think I paid £140 for XT non-icetech but aluminium backed pads with SLX 6 bolt rotors using the above, so the same as your projected amount. I think it’s only about £10 more than SLX.

Very stoppy! They bite immediately with lots of power as with the current SLX, which takes some getting used to as they’re sharper than the previous SLX & XT. The new Deore feel very similar to the previous SLX & XT.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ah, too slow. Good choice! They’re bags more reliable 😀

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Deore or SLX disk brakes?’ is closed to new replies.