• This topic has 27 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by PTR.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • DARWEN MOOR – WARNING
  • PTR
    Free Member

A couple of us were out riding Darwen Moor last night, my mate got front and rear flats, thinking this a bit unlikely, I backtracked and found a lenght of wood, buried in the mud at 678209, with a double row of nails sticking out to about 1″.
    Be careful out there, a minor inconveinince to MTBers, I dread to think what would happen to a kid, dog or horse.

Taff
    Free Member

Sh*t what’s wrong with people? Did you pick it up/report it?

coffeeking
    Free Member

What’s more, even walkers will fall foul of it. The mentality of it.

wwaswas

I’d call the police on 101 – at least get it logged in case of other incidents?

Are there any Local Authority/Park rangers for that area? Tell them too.

binners

Darwen? Perhaps it’d been used as part of a bizarre ritualistic sacrifice to pray for the enlargement of the local gene pool? 😉

sefton
    Free Member

thats a classic Binners (coming from Ramsbottom) 😆 😛

PTR
    Free Member

I’m looking for park ranger type contacts, don’t suppose anyone has that?

binners

I only mentioned it because that’s what we were upto on Holcombe Moor last night 😆

D0NK

that’s pretty f****d up.

What a tool.

can we have a streetmap link for the navigationally inept?

<edit> here?

PTR
    Free Member

My horsey riding colloeage reckons that this could have lead to a horse having to be put down

sefton
    Free Member

so do you live lower or upper Ramsbottom? 😆 🙄 😳

PTR
    Free Member

“can we have a streetmap link for the navigationally inept?”
    thats it, I dug it up, it’s gone now.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a similar occurrance somewhere else up north a couple of years ago? Cant remember where exactly, but it was north of birmingham. 😆

curvature
    Free Member

Loose nails have been left around Cannock Chase recently too.

lipseal
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a similar occurrance somewhere else up north a couple of years ago? Cant remember where exactly, but it was north of birmingham.

Hardy folk up north, we have to deal with all sorts of things, fishing wire, barb wire and walkers to name but a few.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve seen that arround Darwen when I lived up that way. Must have been 6 years ago now since I rode there. Exactly the same setup and asme comments about walkers and horses.

jonba
    Free Member
    binners

TO be honest, when it comes to planks with nails through them, we’re just grateful if nobody is trying to smack us round the head with one of them

globalti
    Free Member

Ha ha, I have ridden the Cape Argus race in Cape Town in the last 3 years and last year I punctured just in a Cape Coloured area. As soon as I stopped I found myself in the middle of a small crowd of coloured lads who wanted to help me change my tyre; the old inner tube disappeared and shortly afterwards I saw a lad walking around with about a dozen inner tubes around his neck. Turns out they scatter tacks on the road in the certain knowledge that a fair number of the 32,000 riders will puncture on their street, giving them a fresh supply of inner tubes for use as catapaults or whatever they do with them….

allthepies
    Free Member

Probably left there by a rottweiler.

Clover

Maybe Binners has a point… having flattened your tyres, they were intending on keeping you on Darwen Moor forever to help enlarge the local gene pool.

There is nowt as strange as folk. Which is particularly true in this area. Glad you weren’t hurt.

binners

His mouth mustn’t have been puuurty enough

catherinepye
    Free Member

Hi I’m a reporter on the Lancashire Telegraph.
    I was wondering if PTR or anyone who has had similar experiences can ring me on 01254 298204 or email on catherine.pye@nqnw.co.uk so I can get a warning out to people about this?

Thanks

Catherine

sefton
    Free Member

what happens on the moor stays on the moor 😈

mrdestructo

what happens on the moor stays on the moor

I’m pretty sure Cathy didn’t agree to Heathcliffe paying the burial guys to loosen the nails and then climbing in her coffin to get jiggy with her cold body. Anyhow, the chapter ended there, leaving it on the moors.

binners

Just as an update. Its big news! In this mornings Bolton News anyway

Looks like the comments page is set to degenerate into a walkers v cyclists handbag-fest. Only ever had grief off some mad-as-a-badger redsock once up there. They must be passive aggressive ramblers

samuri
    Free Member

PTR is 48!? Jebus! 😉

PTR
    Free Member

48?, that was so last week, it’s 49 now….

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘DARWEN MOOR – WARNING’ is closed to new replies.