• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Doug.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • CyB video from t'other day
  • highclimber
    Free Member

here’s a cheeky vid of us at the brenin.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25UW_XZhlQw&context=C3a62934ADOEgsToPDskKmIHm5KRQeWsy81kn-JfpV[/video]

highclimber
    Free Member

pre-midday bumpety bump for those who went to bed before i posted!

dingabell
    Free Member

Looks good fun! Certainly wouldn’t want to do it on a hardtail. Looks kinda bumpy. We’re planning a long weekend up there in the summer and I was wondering if there were enough trails to keep us busy for a full two days?

rondo101
    Free Member

Enough for a day Dingabell, easily. Then either Climachx or Penmachno the next day.

highclimber
    Free Member

i was fine on my P7. no bumpier than any other trial centre. There are more trails here than any other trail centre i’ve been to (not been to Scotland mind!) You could easily fill three or 4 days and not get bored.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What trail at CyB is that?

Oh and it will be fine on a HT there were blokes in our group last summer that rode the Dragons Back on crappy HTs. If you think that looks bumpy you should try some cheeky trails in the Peak.

_tom_
    Free Member

What’s the best trail to do at CyB for a “mixed ability” group (going next month but 2 of my mates are pretty new to riding whereas I’ve been riding for a few years)? I read on here one of them was rubbish as it has singletrack climbs yet fire road descents??

highclimber
    Free Member

What trail at CyB is that?

The berms are on the beginning of the new blue the rest is the dragons back/beast

The best sections were Pugsley’s bottom and Lurch IMO!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Tom that’s the tarw (or however its spelt) its crap.

We did that first thing then followed by the dragons back. They will need to be reasonably fit to do it but its fine to push up. But one of the guys in our group had only been riding about 3 months and he did fine.

highclimber
    Free Member

yeah one of the guys (bot fly) in the vid is a novice and did the 26 km no worries though he said his ass was like a japanese flag at the end.

The guy doing the filming (aka Fat Head) did it on a PAtriot 7 and wished he’d brought his HT instead – he’s a triathlete too!

The Minotaur (blue route) looks pretty good and the berms at the start are a hoot (go as fast as you like!).

_tom_
    Free Member

One of them’s a roadie so he has the basic bike skills and is way fitter than me but the other has only been for a few rides with me at Woburn. Saying that he’s already started doing little jumps so he’s picking it up nicely 🙂

CyB is our back up if the weather is too crap for Snowdon, not really sure how they’ll cope with Snowdon either to be honest 😆

I_Ache
    Free Member

Funny that you should say that Tom because at the end of March we are planning a weekend ahead we ride Llandegla on the Saturday morning the MBR at CyB in the afternoon and Snowdon on the Sunday. Should be a fantastic weekend.

creamegg
    Free Member

when does the voluntary ban start start on snowdon and are there any trails to the summit not affected by this?

_tom_
    Free Member

I believe the ban is over the summer and starts some time in May. Hence why we’re trying to get it done in March despite none of us probably being fully up to it either in terms of fitness or bike ability 😆

I Ache we’re doing a mini tour of north/mid Wales trail centres with Snowdon on our 3rd day. Can’t wait! Haven’t been Wales since I was about 10.

creamegg
    Free Member

better get it done myself then before the ban kicks in.

chrispo
    Free Member

I read on here one of them was rubbish as it has singletrack climbs yet fire road descents??

Typical STW exaggeration, that’s not the Tarw I rode. But yes it is one of those trails that somehow seem to have more climbing than descending. It’s not a fast-flowing smooth easy trail, the technical sections seemed quite rocky to me when I did it last year (admittedly I was on SPDs for the first time that day so even pebbles were scary). I didn’t enjoy it particularly but I’m thinking that’s probably more down to my skills than the trail. I’m about to ride 3 laps of it in the Mawddach Goldrush event on 11 March, so with luck it’ll turn into one of those trails that improves as you get used to it and go faster. So not the best choice for beginners.

Otherwise CyB has some great trails on the other side of the main road. Not too hard technically or physically and loads of fun. Plenty enough for two days! I could repeat the Heifer descent all weekend.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

love coedy – want to go back and do it again, in fact i am going to once the weather picks up…out of the centres ive done its by far the best….in fact as its welsh it almost feels pretty natural and not man made like a lot of them

stumpy01

chrispo – Member

I’m about to ride 3 laps of it in the Mawddach Goldrush event on 11 March, so with luck it’ll turn into one of those trails that improves as you get used to it and go faster. So not the best choice for beginners.

Have fun with that. It’s a good event. I did it the first year it was about in a team of 3, so we just did a lap each. We’d gone over for the weekend, so had ridden the MBR on the Sat as well.
    We debated doing it this year solo, but after spending a weekend there in late Jan decided that we were way to unfit for 3 laps of the Welsh hills!

Regarding the commnents about the Tarw trail – yeah, it’s not the best, but there are some good sections on it. There are some frustrating fire road sections where you seem to lose a lot of height you have just made.
    When I was there (5-6 weeks ago) the Tarw had a diversion on it, fairly early on that mean you missed out Snap, but re-joined the trail for crackle & pop……

flap_jack
    Free Member

Not been for many a year. Where have all the rocks gone ?

chrispo
    Free Member

Have fun with that. It’s a good event. I did it the first year it was about in a team of 3, so we just did a lap each. We’d gone over for the weekend, so had ridden the MBR on the Sat as well.
    We debated doing it this year solo, but after spending a weekend there in late Jan decided that we were way to unfit for 3 laps of the Welsh hills!

Fortunately it’s not quite the whole of the Tarw, but yes it’s going to be tough. Looking forward to it though!

Klunk
    Free Member

Not been for many a year. Where have all the rocks gone ?

CyB has had a series of sanitisations, the rooty nasty Hermon replaced, no more steep and rocky steps of Gomez and Morticia. I wished they spent the money adding more to Tarw, sections to replace the long fire road descents. That said there are still some original features though they are become more scarce, and theres a quite a rocky Bridlepath descent cutting through pink heffer.

Doug
    Free Member

Most of the old stuff is still there Klunk. You just need to remember where it is.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘CyB video from t'other day’ is closed to new replies.