Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cross or road bike
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a road bike for rehab due to a dislocated knee, can’t risk mountain biking for a while but getting bored of the static bike.

My question is shall I get an out and out road bike or cross bike, thoughts I may prefer a cross set up.

Any recommendations for a mid value bike of either flavour budget circa £850

Thanks

Pete

MussEd
    Free Member

Road. But save yourself a bundle and buy THIS

tinribz
    Free Member

Would imagine a cross off-road would be worse than a mtb. So seems sensible to get a road bike. Plus unless there is a good reason (canal commute etc), I’d bet most cx owners find they ride 99% on road and soon switch to a RB anyway. In which case just get the best spec you can track down which I’d guess was a planet x rival if you could stretch to 1k.

Edit – or that /a boardman.

Then again you can’t tour on a carbon frame. The real answer is 3 bikes calling one a ‘winter trainer’ is standard approach.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

I am very tempted by one of these- cracking value if you can see past the anti-halfords bike snobery!! bwlch rhigos sportives no probs

boardman cross bike

should be good for south wales forestry fireroad hacks also

aP
    Free Member

It all depends on what you want to do with it. I’ve ridden cx bikes since 95 and they’re very versatile I’ve trained on them, toured, ridden a lot on the road (Inc Tour of Flanders), raced cross – last weekend I went out with njee20 for a not too fast but not faffing ride over Winterfold, Pitch and Leith on it and will be riding the 3 Peaks in 2 weeks. Get 2 sets of wheels and you’ll be fine for mixing and matching on and off road.
    The main difference between a cx and road bike is the slightly slower handling – but as long as you’re comfortable with that they’re very versatile.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies my thoughts for the cross bike are like doctornickriviera says would be good for fire roads too which appeals!

Thanks for offer MussEd that looks ideal but thinking of going the C2W route with this,

Edric64
    Free Member

A CX bike is fine on more than just fireroad

NonStopNun
    Free Member

Get a cx bike and a extra pair of wheels with road tyres on ,that can be done with your bugget.
    I find i use my cx bike more than my HT mtb and road bike .

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I think a chat with my LBS is on the cards

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Yeah I’d largely agree with the CX choice. I use mine for everything from 30 miles road commute, jumping curbs and potholes and a front disk help, to using it to Mtb. I rode it a lot last winter with the Mtb guys on much the same singletrack they did and it was quicker in mud but slower on stones. I would say it isn’t a rocket on the road as the weight and angles are different to true road bikes but it gives a few shaven legged guys a run occasionally. The versatility is fab. Somebody said you may eventually just buy a real road bike, but a CX bike is a good stop gap to see if you fancy it.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Yes I think the CX bike is the best bet gives a bit more versatility I’m never going to be entering road races or the like maybe an odd triathlon just to keep a mate happy but a CX would cope with that I am sure.

Any thoughts on good value CX bikes?

rossrobot
    Free Member

I got a Focus Mares AX2, ex demo on Wiggle for just under £700. I think they’re £800 new. Lovely bike.
    Kona Jakes also worth a look, and the genesis crossers if you can stretch a bit. If you could afford discs I’d recommend it as the canti’s on mine can be fairly scary.

stever
    Free Member

Cross bikes are brilliant for forest singletrack. It’s only when you get lots of rocks and loads of roots that you’ll start to get to get out of your depth. And I wouldn’t worry about them being strong enough – it’s likely to be you that limits where you ride, not the bike. The Boardman looks good value.

oldgit
    Free Member

Picture the rides you’ll be doing. If you really are going to mix the rides then get a crosser.
    If not get a road bike.

When a bike is cross ready it’s not very nice on the road. And if you put road tyres on it, you’ve just made a slack poor handling road bike.
    Chances are once on the road you’ll want to do more road work, especially in the summer.
    That all said I’ve just got back from the club 100 on my crosser.

aftershock
    Free Member

I use a GT Hy-Brid on the road, you can get a good one for around £400, it just feels right for when I go out on my mountain bike.
    I have them both set up the same in ride height and bar widths etc.

Haze

Road

njee20
    Free Member

For me, whilst they’re perfectly capable, they’re not as good as an MTB off road, nor as good as a road bike on. Just not sure.

CraigW
    Free Member

Get an audax bike.
    ie something that can take proper mudguards, a rack, about 28mm tyres etc. Also probably a bit more comfortable than a road race bike.
    And fine for a bit of off-road (ie fire roads), or light touring etc.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Sorry for my ignorance what is an audax bike? Off to google I go 😳

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Well that’s taught me something I didn’t know 5 mins ago, 😀

karnali
    Free Member

if its only for road get a road bike, if you will mix the rides then a cross is good, a road bike will tend to be a couple of pounds lighter at the same price point.

if u go cross then the caadz 105 have been on offerat a few places and seem to beewll liked by folk who review them

karnali
    Free Member

oh forgot there was someone ohere or over at radar selling 2 brand spanking boardmans for i think 650 each, thats a better deal than c2w if you have the readies ready

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

FYI valleydaddy the boardman cross bike is in the bridgend and llanelli parc trostre halfords if you want a gander at it , looks lovely imo!

i’m just holding out for another year or 2 as i think more and more cx bikes with disc brakes are gonna come on the market with the new uci rules.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Ok thanks I’ll take a look 😀

Nothing better than looking for bikes when signed off work 😀

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cross or road bike’ is closed to new replies.