Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Criminal police
  • duntmatter
    Free Member

More than 900 police officers in Britain have criminal records clicky

I’m astonished by this. Burglary, robbery..! Shouldn’t they be made to leave the force?

bruneep

And you did nothing wrong as a lad?

nealglover
    Free Member

……..Shouldn’t they be made to leave the force?

If they were committed while serving in the force, yes.

But otherwise, no.

Simple.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Doing something wrong as a lad is far from what some of theses people have done. In what world does having robbed or burgled someone make you suitable to uphold the law?

I’m talking about what is right, not what the rules say.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP: so you believe:

No one is capable of rehabilitation?

Existing punishments for crimes are not enough?

Criminals should get further arbitrary punishments like never being allowed to serve in the force, except you’ve not thought this out at all, it only occurs to you when you are outraged over your Daily Fail?

Thank **** you’re not (and never will be) a politician.

tails
    Free Member

Yeah robbery is a bit more than a mistake as a lad! Although I support employing some skilled burglars to assist the police with techniques etc.

nealglover
    Free Member

OP- If your not willing to accept that people can change, then any further discussion on the subject is pointless.

MSP

In what world does having robbed or burgled someone make you suitable to uphold the law?

In a world that believes in rehabilitation. IMO someone who has turned their life around would potentially have a far greater enthusiasm and understanding of the requirements of the job than some middle class cosseted snob who believes they are superior to the General public.

Of course as above, crimes committed while in the force should bring about dismissal, but even then there is possible room for manoeuvre.

duntstick
    Free Member

Fishing without a license, failure to return library book blah blah.
    Typical, something out of nowt reporting

zokes
    Free Member

duntstick, duntmatter – how about duntcare?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d prefer duntbovver 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know it’s not in the OP’s spirit of the thread, but here’s a bit of background info for perspective:

from OP’s Indy article:

The Metropolitan Police, Britain’s largest force, came out on top with 356 officers and 41 PCSOs with convictions

from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Police_Service

At the end of October 2011, the MPS employed 48,661 (full-time) personnel…

So < 1%….and the crimes are:

Most of the convictions are for traffic offences such as speeding and drink-driving, but the records also include an officer in South Yorkshire was convicted of fishing without a licence (sic).

Home Office guidelines issued in 2003 say police officers should have “proven integrity” because they are vulnerable to pressure from criminals to reveal information. The guidance says forces should reject potential recruits with convictions for serious offences – including causing bodily harm, burglary, dangerous driving and supplying drugs – unless there are “exceptionally compelling circumstances”.

Seems reasonable to me…who was it said “a civilisation/society should be judged on how it treats its criminals”?

hora
    Free Member

fishing without a licence

That should be a treasonable offence! 😆

mu3266
    Free Member

If the offences are minor as some have pointed out, then its a non-story so stop foaming at the mouth. If, however they’re serious then damn right they shouldn’t be upholding a law that they themselves flout.

phil.w
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Thank **** you’re not (and never will be) a politician.

nealglover
    If your not willing to accept that people can change, then any further discussion on the subject is pointless.

would either of you have a problem with time served paedophiles becoming primary school teachers?

mogrim

would either of you have a problem with time served paedophiles becoming primary school teachers?

Thank god somebody’s thinking of the children!

MSP

Thefts from police stations

Thefts in the past five years include handcuffs, uniforms, speed guns, dogs, riot shields, and even patrol cars.

kaesae
    Free Member

The police are criminals, end of story 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

phil.w – Member

🙄

Of course – 1. it’s a serious crime and 2. (as I am sure you know) it’s virtually impossible to be rehabilitated from peadophilia.

PLEASE ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE POSTING.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you can explain a direct comparison between crimes such as fishing without a license, speeding, theft etc.

And an incurable Mental Disorder such as Peadophilia.

I’d be happy to answer whatever is left of your question.

phil.w
    Free Member

PLEASE ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE POSTING.

🙂 oh ok,

Rehabilitation is about the individual and not the seriousness of the crime. So to suggest that all Police that have criminal records have been rehabilitated is as ridiculous a position as it is to say they should all be kicked out.

bullheart
    Free Member

And an incurable Mental Disorder such as Peadophilia.

kaesae
    Free Member

As long as the judicial system is unjust and a mechanism of control for the rich and powerful, all police officers will continue to be criminals.

As I have said and will continue to say, they police are simply thugs who work for the government 💡

theotherjonv

mmm, peas…

donsimon
    Free Member

PLEASE ENGRAGE BRAIN BEFORE POSTING.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kaesae – evidence for what you are saying?

phil.w – Member
    to suggest that all Police that have criminal records have been rehabilitated is as ridiculous a position as it is to say they should all be kicked out.

Who suggested that?

Otherwise, I am not sure what point, if any, you are trying to make.

IHN

I am not sure what point, if any, you are trying to make

Welcome to the forum 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’d love to visit kaesaeworld for a day.

cynic-al
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    I’d love to visit kaesaeworld for a day.

I imagine it’s a very welcoming place, until you ask to leave…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good point. I’ll stay away.

nealglover
    Free Member

From the “Welcome Pack” at Kaeseaworld :

br
    Free Member

I reckon an equivilent ‘crime’ is the inability to read past a headline…

Most of the convictions are for traffic offences such as speeding and drink-driving, but the records also include an officer in South Yorkshire was convicted of fishing without a licence.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What about discharged bankrupts not being allowed to join the police?

MSP

What about discharged bankrupts not being allowed to join the police?

I would say if they have shown sensible management of their finances since they should be allowed to join. These sort of rules are used to much too exclude people from all kinds of Public jobs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m not sure how bankruptcy alone should relate to any profession/position other than directorships and financial stuff – even then, folk can change.

kaesae
    Free Member

Will the banks face charges or be fined for the billions of pounds they have stolen from the most vulnerable individuals in society ❓

If not then how can we call the judicial system or it respresentatives just ❓

It is one thing to point the finger and say those individuals are criminals, however what about the individuals that cause the circumstances that lead others to commit crime ❓

As anyone else that has belongings and assets I am against crime, but I have more contempt for those that seek power and control than I do for those who commit crime due to ignorance or necessity.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

fishing without a licence

He made a rod for his own back.

kaesae
    Free Member

neal glover, why does it not surprise me that you know exactly how to make a tin foil hat ❓

cynic-al
    Free Member

kaesae – Member
    NONSENSE

FTFY

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Once again, STWers miss the point of what the OP is actually saying, and go on to only present facts to support their own argument/agendae….

Let’s have a proper look shall we?

Right:

I’m astonished by this. Burglary, robbery..! Shouldn’t they be made to leave the force?

I’m pretty sure the OP is asking whether officers committing offences of this severity should be made to leave the force, not so much the ones done for driving or fishing offences.

Also in the list, which some of you have conveniently omitted, are offences such as sexual assault, domestic violence, supplying drugs, perverting the course of justice and other pretty bad stuff.

I fully believe in the rehabilitation of offenders, as far as is possible and beneficial to society, but to know that there are those convicted of such crimes still serving as police officers is shocking.

It is an honour and a privilege to serve society and the Law in such a manner. Those charged with such responsibility have a duty to be exemplary in their behaviour. Otherwise, how and why should anyone respect the police and subsequently the Law?

TBH, there are probably thousands of serving coppers who are guilty of myriad serious crimes, who will never face Justice, such as the murderers of Jean Charles deMenezes, etc. And God alone knows what other nastiness. There are serving police officers who make the Summer Rioters and Looters look like fine upstanding citizens. There are some true scum within the police force.

And if we can’t even weed out the ones we know about, what chance do we have of dealing with all the others?

That uniform and badge should mean something. Too bad it’s being tarnished and sullied by those who have no respect for it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Criminal police’ is closed to new replies.